2020 SYNC 3 Issues/ Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim Sineath

Reaction score
interesting time for your note. When I posted the software post day before yesterday all was good. the next morning the backup was black. Took it back in and they told me it would have to be doing it while hook to the computer. They could not fix it under warrantee without seeing it. i told them it flicks on and off with no specific timeline. In fact it was working when i got there then all of a sudden went black again, but before they go out to see it it started working again. So I told them I was leaving it there until they saw it work and fixed it. I could not just keep driving to the dealer when it is not working and then get there and it starts working. So it has been there since yesterday with no word yet. As if other issues, no sure on the way the satellite radio kept flicking on and off which has not happened before, but i am not sure if it was a temp issue with reception or what. My truck is a 2020.
I have no problems up to suddenly at 7500 miles it starts, so I have no idea if it is the head unit or cameras or software. All was working fine until just now, seems to me to be bad software including the “new” fix. no sure why cameras or the unit would suddenly go bad after working perfect for 7500 miles. Sounds like software glitch, maybe even with the new fix they just did.

OP
OP
Robert Mahoney
Reaction score
interesting time for your note. When I posted the software post day before yesterday all was good. the next morning the backup was black. Took it back in and they told me it would have to be doing it while hook to the computer. They could not fix it under warrantee without seeing it. i told them it flicks on and off with no specific timeline. In fact it was working when i got there then all of a sudden went black again, but before they go out to see it it started working again. So I told them I was leaving it there until they saw it work and fixed it. I could not just keep driving to the dealer when it is not working and then get there and it starts working. So it has been there since yesterday with no word yet. As if other issues, no sure on the way the satellite radio kept flicking on and off which has not happened before, but i am not sure if it was a temp issue with reception or what. My truck is a 2020.
I have no problems up to suddenly at 7500 miles it starts, so I have no idea if it is the head unit or cameras or software. All was working fine until just now, seems to me to be bad software including the “new” fix. no sure why cameras or the unit would suddenly go bad after working perfect for 7500 miles. Sounds like software glitch, maybe even with the new fix they just did.

I feel your pain, very frustrating to be in and out of the dealer with a 2020. I too had the same issue when i dropped it off, the camera was working for the dealer. They told me they finally got it to turn black after "100 attempts". Have you only had black/ discolored screen with the rear camera view or have you seen pink lines across the entire screen like the image below? I started documenting every instance of camera malfunction with pictures and have about 35+ pictures now with only 2800 miles. I have only seen these pink lines 2x all other times only the rear camera is back.

I have a '17 platinum with the previous SYNC software and the camera/ birds eye is marginally clearer than what i have on the raptor even when it does work so there is clearly a problem. I assume the problem is software related with the updated SYNC system so i am very curious if the new camera assembly they are about to put in will fix anything. Unfortunately i am storing the raptor right now in Texas and am unable to fly in to get it fixed without being able to get out due to their quarantine orders. Keep me updated on your dealership progress so i can try to troubleshoot with my dealer and ill do the same with you.

full

full

Jim Sineath

Reaction score
I will keep you posted. Mine originally went black in back then when black both front and back, then went blue and black, than yes multicolor. Then they redid the software and the next time just black in back. So I have no idea at this point if the front and the multicolor thing happens again. it does seem to me to be a software issue that they think they fixed and have not. I am leaving it at the dealers until it does it again no matter how long. I understand they need to see it do it, but I am not driving continually back and forth for to stop with me then start then stop when they try and see it. So lets just keep each other posted. I did ask why do you have to see it I suspect that it is happening with others that you have serviced just look at what you did, interesting reply was have not seen 2020 but did see other years. So seems there have been some 19 or something doing it but I did not get an answer what did to fix them.

Jim Sineath

Reaction score
here the lastest. He caught it going black this afternoon. so he ordered a camera replacement. He did not mention back up in fact said it could be in tomorrow or Monday/tue. but maybe he has not been told it is on back order who knows. It will be interesting to see if that fixes it. since the software reinstall I have not had the front camera go out nor the multicolor thing. so who knows could be two problems bad software which they fixed and bad rear camera. i will post whenever they get it in and let you know.

OP
OP
Robert Mahoney
Reaction score
here the lastest. He caught it going black this afternoon. so he ordered a camera replacement. He did not mention back up in fact said it could be in tomorrow or Monday/tue. but maybe he has not been told it is on back order who knows. It will be interesting to see if that fixes it. since the software reinstall I have not had the front camera go out nor the multicolor thing. so who knows could be two problems bad software which they fixed and bad rear camera. i will post whenever they get it in and let you know.

when i said he did not mention back up I was meaning he did not mention any back order buy maybe he has not heard that yet from them don’t know

I was told May 20 but then received a call 4 days later that it was already in and ready to go. I was told these new camera assemblies were different / newer than stock. Whether that means better quality or upgraded, who knows. I guess we will find out. Keep me posted on your success with the new camera. Turn the truck off and on at least 5 times and check the camera before leaving the dealership when they are done just in case!

OP
OP
Robert Mahoney
Reaction score
Had the same issues, backup going multicolor, black and blue, black, front going out, back going out, front and back going out, then fixes itself then does it again. I reset it four times correct it but started again. Took to dealer today, says there is a TSB software fix has had several. Reloaded software fix and completely corrected the issue. Has not reoccurred at all. No hardware issue. Just FYI

I was checking in to see if you have had any remaining issues after having the camera replaced or if you noticed any differences with the new camera!

Jim Sineath

Reaction score
actually they ordered it two weeks ago did not come in was to be here this week now Ford is saying next week. FYI there is several other sites on here discussing the issue. Seems the back up camera is getting to be a big issue of replacement, little but not much with front one. interestingly a lot of people when the back was replace the cords to it were replaced also, then some not. I ask and they are telling me they only ordered the camera. So not sure what about that part. Seems most who had it replaced are having at this point no issues. Will keep you posted

Jim Sineath

Reaction score
One new update- the front camera just went bad so I called and they ordered one of those also. I told him I had been seeing where some volume of people with this issue have had the harness replaced also, some not. He checked and said that the ford manual on this issue says they have to replace the cameras first and then if that does not fix it go to the harness. So guess whenever the two cameras come in we will see if not it will have to have the harness’s replaced also. But does not seem that both cameras are an issue.

OP
OP
Robert Mahoney
Reaction score
One new update- the front camera just went bad so I called and they ordered one of those also. I told him I had been seeing where some volume of people with this issue have had the harness replaced also, some not. He checked and said that the ford manual on this issue says they have to replace the cameras first and then if that does not fix it go to the harness. So guess whenever the two cameras come in we will see if not it will have to have the harness’s replaced also. But does not seem that both cameras are an issue.

Yikes. What a hassle. Hope you get the front and rear cameras in shortly and can be worry free. My rear camera should be replaced in the next couple weeks once i get back in texas.