2020 SYNC 3 Issues/ Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
What's up guys.. New here to the forum after picking up a 2020 LeadFoot Raptor a couple weeks ago.

I love the truck but sad to say its already back at the dealership for electronic/ SYNC related issues with only 1500 miles on it, so i'm a little frustrated!

I dropped the truck off 2 days ago and have yet to hear an update on what is going on. All i have been told is that the dealership has "opened a case with Ford Technical Assistance" to diagnose the issue.

Heres a little summary of what is going on with the truck... Please chime in if you know what a case with "Ford Technical Assistance" really entails haha. Pictures to follow

• Drove truck off the lot and CarPlay would not engage. Figured cord was bad so changed apple cord when i got home (yes an apple product)
  • Resetting the SYNC via Power + Right Seek 1-3x while car is on will eventually engage the CarPlay and it will work (only with bluetooth disconnected). After a couple weeks of use i've gathered that it will engage on startup about 50% of the time. Other times I have to reset SYNC which also resets FordPass App
  • Back up camera will engage and work properly about 50% of the time, other times it is either completely black, hazy or pink with lines through the screen (See pic). Putting truk in park and back into Reverse sometimes fixes issue, other times shutting car off and restarting will fix issue, or it will not resolve at all and have to get out of the truck to see how close i am to something because I cant see sh*t past the wide body fenders
  • SYNC "Raptor" bootup when starting the truck just seems slow and almost like its taxing the system. I can usually make it out of my apartment parking garage (100yds) and it will still be booting up. Also have a 2017 F150 with previous SYNC software that boots up way quicker for comparison
  • Screen will randomly blackout while driving and become unresponsive to any commands but will re-engage eventually within a minute (not able to reproduce this, it just happens)
  • Put car in reverse the other day, camera was black so put it in park to see how much room i had behind, went back and i could not get the car out of park the shift knob would not engage and a red battery light came on the dash, the engine cut off and screen said "full accessory power active". Push to start did nothing, the truck was stuck in whatever mode it was in for a minute before finally restarting
While i know this is a fluke I fear these tech related issues can linger if the root of the problem isnt taken care of or ever diagnosed at the dealership. If anyone has any insight or knowledge about any of these issues do let me know. Its pretty brutal to buy a brand new truck only to be put in a bone stock F150 as a loaner for the unforeseen future and envy all the raptors passing by!

full

full

full

full

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Drove truck off the lot and CarPlay would not engage. Figured cord was bad so changed apple cord when i got home (yes an apple product)

I don’t mean to browbeat you, but did you test CarPlay before you drove off the lot?
We, like the rest of the Ford lineup, have a few users who have had sync module trouble and ended up having to get the module replaced. It sounds like yours may need replaced as well. Although your last 2 bullets certainly sound like some loose harness connection or similar.

All i have been told is that the dealership has "opened a case with Ford Technical Assistance" to diagnose the issue.

if you’re in a loaner, you’re living right. Ford isn’t required to give you a loaner, only to repair covered items pursuant to the warranty. Since you have a loaner, give it a little time but not a lot, maybe a week and open up a Ford Customer Service case. Give them the opportunity to make it right but when you get the vehicle back, test it thoroughly before you leave the parking lot.

OP
OP
Robert Mahoney
Reaction score
I don’t mean to browbeat you, but did you test CarPlay before you drove off the lot?
We, like the rest of the Ford lineup, have a few users who have had sync module trouble and ended up having to get the module replaced. It sounds like yours may need replaced as well. Although your last 2 bullets certainly sound like some loose harness connection or similar.

if you’re in a loaner, you’re living right. Ford isn’t required to give you a loaner, only to repair covered items pursuant to the warranty. Since you have a loaner, give it a little time but not a lot, maybe a week and open up a Ford Customer Service case. Give them the opportunity to make it right but when you get the vehicle back, test it thoroughly before you leave the parking lot.

Yessir we had bluetooth and CarPlay setup before leaving. I was told the module has had those issues as well as some VIN specific module or harness that would need to be ordered if that were the case.

Very true, grateful for the loaner, but would be even more frustrated if it was not offered after bringing in a month old performance vehicle. They estimated 4 days with the loaner before even taking the truck back so they are doing me a solid. Good to know about the customer service case, appreciate that.

I am terrified about having a lemon, although i thought those were only mechanically defective vehicles, still concerned haha. I just want to enjoy they new truck, my patience is slim!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I think within the first few weeks of owning my ’17 my entire center display went dark on me. No tunes, no nav, nothing. I had heat controls via the knobs, but the console screen was out. I powered off/on, tried to reset but it wasn’t responsive. Drove home and was dreading the inevitable stealership visit.

came out the next morning to validate the problem, sync was back.

In the ensuing 3.25 years, it’s never done it since.

back to CarPlay - when you say it wouldn’t engage, any chance this was after stopping the truck / shutting down? Sync has to be started and responsive before engaging CarPlay.
Ever got in the truck and like we used to do ‘back in the day’, start it, and go? change that to get in, hit start, select a different drive mode and go and you’ll be disappointed. You aren’t able to select drive modes until the computer is ready and that’s not right after start is depressed and the engine is running. Similarly, if sync is still starting, pretty much all bets are off if you connect a phone. It’s a little... finicky.

OP
OP
Robert Mahoney
Reaction score
I think within the first few weeks of owning my ’17 my entire center display went dark on me. No tunes, no nav, nothing. I had heat controls via the knobs, but the console screen was out. I powered off/on, tried to reset but it wasn’t responsive. Drove home and was dreading the inevitable stealership visit.

came out the next morning to validate the problem, sync was back.

In the ensuing 3.25 years, it’s never done it since.

back to CarPlay - when you say it wouldn’t engage, any chance this was after stopping the truck / shutting down? Sync has to be started and responsive before engaging CarPlay.
Ever got in the truck and like we used to do ‘back in the day’, start it, and go? change that to get in, hit start, select a different drive mode and go and you’ll be disappointed. You aren’t able to select drive modes until the computer is ready and that’s not right after start is depressed and the engine is running. Similarly, if sync is still starting, pretty much all bets are off if you connect a phone. It’s a little... finicky.

I will admit sometimes I do turn the truck on and immediately plug in without letting it boot up. But it seems no different when attempting this or when waiting until several minutes later to decide I want to charge or use carplay then plug in.

Got word today they are still performing “network tests on all systems for SYNC function” and an APIM is being replaced. Still unsure if the CarPlay, camera issue and slow boot up are all related but sounds like they are making steps in the right direction. Time will tell, thanks for your insight and info much appreciated

OP
OP
Robert Mahoney
Reaction score
In case anyone come across similar issues with their SYNC system, the issue has been resolved.

They did not end up replacing the APIM, they found some corrupted files within the SYNC software and ended up wiping clean the original software and reprogramming the system with an updated program.

All previous issues seem resolved so far, clicking the “+” button on the screen while the truck is in reverse now shows a close up view of the rear bumper and ground which I did not previously have before the fix.

Nice to have the truck back and be worry free (knock on wood).

OP
OP
Robert Mahoney
Reaction score
Well.. We are back with the black screen while in reverse at 2700 miles. Rear camera connection is hit or miss with the screen either being dark, grey, grainy or black depending on the day or how the truck is feeling. All other cameras on the birds eye view seem fine so i assume a connectivity issue with the rear camera is the issue. The previous carplay and SYNC issues are fixed, no issues there.

Hoping it gets resolved this week at the dealer

OP
OP
Robert Mahoney
Reaction score
full

Was told by the dealership that many 2020 Ford vehicles, especially trucks, are having back up camera issues. Ford is replacing (was told upgrading) the camera hardware but they are currently on backorder. Unsure if due to COVID or if that many new vehicles are having camera issues. Told about a month+ to get it replaced.

Jim Sineath

Reaction score
Had the same issues, backup going multicolor, black and blue, black, front going out, back going out, front and back going out, then fixes itself then does it again. I reset it four times correct it but started again. Took to dealer today, says there is a TSB software fix has had several. Reloaded software fix and completely corrected the issue. Has not reoccurred at all. No hardware issue. Just FYI

OP
OP
Robert Mahoney
Reaction score
Had the same issues, backup going multicolor, black and blue, black, front going out, back going out, front and back going out, then fixes itself then does it again. I reset it four times correct it but started again. Took to dealer today, says there is a TSB software fix has had several. Reloaded software fix and completely corrected the issue. Has not reoccurred at all. No hardware issue. Just FYI

Sounds like we have had the same issues. Did you notice any issues with CarPlay or other systems other than the cameras? They wiped and updated my software as well the the camera was flawless for about 2 weeks before it started coming back again. We will see if the camera replacement resolves the issue, if not it must be strictly software related. What year is your truck?