2020 Suspension issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RexusRaptor

Reaction score
I’ve been having suspension issues since day 1 with my 2020 raptor now at 30k miles in 9 months and it’s still never been right. Early on had a height sensor replaced then all 4 shocks as 3 were “locked” up and probably were since I took the truck home in the first place. Now moving forward numerous complaints to the dealer about it feeling rough and harsh. Took my truck and a friends out today to the desert. His truck rides flawless thru the whoops and terrain mine on the other hand feels like a covered wagon with wood wheels. We drove the same section numerous times in each truck and always the same result. I said well what if I unplug the module that controls the modes and suspension it’s under the dash on the drivers side near the floor board. Unplugged the control module both plugs and drove the same section just as bad as it was before. Put the truck in park with it still on plugged both connectors back in and drove the same section and it was like driving on a cloud. It was amazing but why? What’s the cause it seems to be intermittent because just a bit later same issue stopped repeated the process and it was good for a while then again on the freeway it was harsh and jarring. Too hard to get to the plugs driving so I just continued home miserable.
Ideas???
Going back the dealer on Monday.

DD80CCB7-F2AE-4540-806B-ED7FF91690A8.jpeg

codeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting ... curious to try this on mine. I seem to have a rough ride sometimes, and sometimes it seems to smooth out on its own. It's odd - sometimes it's so harsh feeling, I almost get a bit carsick after a long drive.

OP
OP
R

RexusRaptor

Reaction score
Interesting write up @RexusRaptor. How were you able to discern both of those plugs are related to the Live Valve shocks?

when you “delete” the live valve system you have to use a dongle to trick the computer so the drive modes still work. It plugs into one of those plugs in that module. I tried this early on with the system because with the live valve installed that dongle will put the shocks at full stiff as an error on the system. That’s how I ended up down the rabbit hole of unplug and replug. Did it again this morning and confirmed it works.

OP
OP
R

RexusRaptor

Reaction score
@FordTechOne any ideas on why unplugging and replugging these connectors with the car on and in park would fix the shocks from stiff to correct?

wondering if anyone can post the ForScan screenshot of there raptor that does not have suspension issues.

Drivin2Fst

Reaction score
Interesting ... curious to try this on mine. I seem to have a rough ride sometimes, and sometimes it seems to smooth out on its own. It's odd - sometimes it's so harsh feeling, I almost get a bit carsick after a long drive.
This. I have the same issues. My dealer has replaced the VDM and the solenoids on all of my Live Valves. Sometimes it’s great, other times it makes me carsick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RexusRaptor

Reaction score
Anyone who has this issue if you wouldn’t mind trying what I did and tell me if it fixes your shock harshness issue. Did it again today and it worked until the car is turned off and back on.
The VDM is connected to so many systems it could be almost anything: steering, suspension, ABS, drive modes and more.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's really strange! But, it explains why every now and then I read a post from someone complaining about how their brand new Raptor rides like shit and they're asking if they all ride like that. Sometimes it was just jacked up tire pressure, but several times there seemed to be no reason for it. I was always surprised when I saw those threads, because mine has an amazing suspension. I hope the dealer can get it sorted for you, that really sucks.

Last edited: