2020 4runner, buyers remorse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt the 4 runner will hold the value like a Raptor... You'd lose some trading in a newer Raptor, but they hold value like crazy.

4Runners hold their value shockingly well. That's the upside to his conundrum. I'm currently planning on replacing our FJ Cruiser with a 4 Runner and Off-Road or Trail versions with < 50K miles are barely 5K less than new ones.

The Toyota cult is strong

Tin Can Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wife had wranglers; moved to a toyota 4 runner trd pro for a bit when the kid was born, but just went back to the wrangler jl rubicon. Trade value was great on both the wranglers and 4runner; never once lost our a$$. The 4runner trd pro was a solid vehicle choice for a family, but its no wrangler and/or raptor. The wrangler has a fun factor that the 4runner didn't have; just as the Raptor has a ton of fun factor, but I'll have to admit taking the doors, roof, and windshield off and playing is almost as much fun as blasting in the truck; almost...

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You never know if tomorrow will be here or not, you may as well enjoy life to your liking. If you want a Raptor, by all means, fulfill your dream. A short story.... I had a whole lot of cars, and trucks, '17 exp limited, '15 f150 lariat, '15 f350 supercrew platty, '13 f150 fx4, '04 marauder disguised as a streetcar, featherlight car hauler, and a few misc. crown vic's in the mix, yes, owned all at the same time. Had a doctor misdiagnose a small issue, I came in their words, within 2 days of dying. That put it into perspective. I got out of the hospital, I sold all that shit and bought a new Raptor, for whatever reason, driving that vehicle gives me a feeling that none of the others did, and, I bought the wife a new car, f*&king chevy though.

I say go after what you want, I wish I would have earlier, I've driven gen 1's, but really love the gen 2's, even though I said I'd never have a 6 cylinder anything...

Phil O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have had a 2020 4runner for about 3 months now, and I have a bit of buyers remorse. Wish I would have sprung for the Raptor. Now buying my time until I can make the switch after enough time has elapsed so my whole family won't call me crazy for not liking a brand new car.

Anyone had a similar situation? Any luck trading in a quasi new car and not losing your @ss?
Shit, in November of 2018 I went from a ‘15 Silverado To an Audi A5 Sportback.... Hated driving a car and have always liked Tacoma’s and the wife has a ‘15 4Runner. So I purchased a new ‘19 Tacoma in March of ‘19. Put different shocks on and leveled truck with method wheels and BFG KM3’s.... after a few months I was sick of driving that truck. The 4Runner drives much better than a Tacoma. Horrible on road performance and just too small overall for me. The back seat was tiny as hell too. Was taking a crock pot of food over to my sisters for a gathering and that shit couldn’t even fit on the ground in the back seat. So I started looking for a Raptor since I have always wanted one. Took a couple months to get a decent deal on one and by August I traded in my Tacoma for the Raptor. They actually paid me what I initially bought the Tacoma for brand new since I got a good deal on the truck out the door.

if you aren’t happy with your 4Runner, and can financially afford going to a Raptor, then go for it. Don’t continue paying for something you aren’t happy with simply because you’re scared of what others will think. YOLO!

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s probably gonna cost you now or cost you later. If you can live with the Toyo for a while then take your time on the purchase of the Raptor. If your beginning to really dislike that SUV and it’s eating at you all the time to get into a Raptor, then really start planning a way to it now.

I didn’t make that mistake. I just stayed in my old truck until I was
Able to get into the Raptor and along with a push from the wife lol. I really couldn’t find a light truck that interest me at this point besides the Raptor. I probably have that vehicle disease that can’t drive boring or is something of a common plain platform.

I hope this forum provides some therapy and ideas. At times it can get rough in here!

NeoLeo

Reaction score
My friend - you are not alone. I settled on a 2019 TRD Pro instead of an 2018 Raptor. Kept the 4Runner for 9 months, sold it, and got a 2019 Raptor.

The positive for me was getting the new suspension ;) but alas I did lose quite a bit on the switch.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m also on the fence waiting for the new Bronco. I want a Scab Raptor, but would prefer something a little smaller for daily driving. My neighbor was looking at a new Platinum F-150 and I convinced him to go Raptor since he hunts and such, so soon enough I’ll have to be seeing his Raptor daily.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m also on the fence waiting for the new Bronco. I want a Scab Raptor, but would prefer something a little smaller for daily driving. My neighbor was looking at a new Platinum F-150 and I convinced him to go Raptor since he hunts and such, so soon enough I’ll have to be seeing his Raptor daily.

When you DD a Raptor it gets smaller. Those new Broncs look to pretty cool though.

OP
OP
DropTheMike

DropTheMike

Reaction score
Really appreciate all the replies, and always nice to hear others stories or experiences. This thread started a bit dodgey, but some truly nice folks came out to offer some great insight.

Its also cool to know other people who have car A-D-D as well, or bought cars they didn't like or didnt keep long term. Shows I'm not as nuts as people think. :)

So for me reliability and performance are 1a and 1b in terms of priorities. I think I may have miscalculated which one is more important though which led me towards the 4runner. And there are things I really like about it. It's a good size for the family, looks sweet, fold flat seats you can sleep in when camping, great off road chops, and a history of Rock solid reliability. If I'm being totally honest with myself, in a perfect world the raptor engine in this 4runner would likely suit my needs forever. But Toyota is SO behind with their engines, doesn't even compare. So yeah, maybe the bronco will fit the void assuming they have a performance version.

Like some other posters, I also had a tacoma, 2011 in my case, and it was a pretty good vehicle and several things I really liked. Expanding family made it too small to be practical though.

Still on the fence on what I will ultimately do, but I think I will wait a few more months anyhow to see if the 4runner grows on me, and what the bronco has to offer. But if it doesnt grow on me, and I dont dig the bronco when it is finally revealed a raptor is definitely in my future.

bvlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you aren’t happy with your 4Runner, and can financially afford going to a Raptor, then go for it. Don’t continue paying for something you aren’t happy with simply because you’re scared of what others will think. YOLO!

This. Crazy to keep paying for something you don't like if you can afford otherwise. And it is a great time to be in the market for a Raptor as 2019s can be had for up to $10,000 off sticker.