2020 4runner, buyers remorse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DropTheMike

Reaction score
Have had a 2020 4runner for about 3 months now, and I have a bit of buyers remorse. Wish I would have sprung for the Raptor. Now buying my time until I can make the switch after enough time has elapsed so my whole family won't call me crazy for not liking a brand new car.

Anyone had a similar situation? Any luck trading in a quasi new car and not losing your @ss?

OP
OP
DropTheMike

DropTheMike

Reaction score
The focus on this thread is currently more on why I had considered both or the comparison between the two, as opposed to best ways to trade in/sell a recently purchased new car, which is more what I was going for.

I agree the raptor is way more vehicle than the 4runner. No argument here. But I happen to know folks who considered the 4runner, as well as a Jeep wrangler, also a tacoma, and the raptor. I think there is a certain persona with those type of vehicles that appeals to a personality type.

I've had pickup trucks most of my life, but lately have been driving SUVs since they are a tad more family friendly. Also have a 4x8 utility trailer, so the bed isn't that big of a deal. But you can't really compare to the performance of the raptor, and really that is what I am interested in.

I have considered the explorer ST, but I want something that can take me off the beaten path more than an explorer can offer. Maybe with the new bronco coming out in the next few months, assuming they have a Ford performance version, could check the boxes that the 4runner doesn't for me, but only time will tell.

New guy to this forum, just wanted to introduce myself, also to get a dialogue going about trade in of newer cars, not really about getting beat up for how the 4runner compares to the raptor.

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tough crowd here, buckle up. This thread is all kinds of crazy. It's like going to a Porsche forum and posting you regret buying a Camry with the sport package and should have gone for the GT3.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I doubt the 4 runner will hold the value like a Raptor... You'd lose some trading in a newer Raptor, but they hold value like crazy.

OP
OP
DropTheMike

DropTheMike

Reaction score
I doubt the 4 runner will hold the value like a Raptor... You'd lose some trading in a newer Raptor, but they hold value like crazy.

I agree. I've been amazed at how the raptor holds its value based on my search of slightly used ones. The 4runner actually has a great resale value, but nothing I has ever seen compares to the raptor.

OP
OP
DropTheMike

DropTheMike

Reaction score
Tough crowd here, buckle up. This thread is all kinds of crazy. It's like going to a Porsche forum and posting you regret buying a Camry with the sport package and should have gone for the GT3.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, didnt realize this post would touch a nerve. I kinda see your point though, this is a raptor forum and my post is only tangentially related to a raptor

Prolly should have just said,

"bought a car not happy with a few months ago thinking of trading it in for a raptor. Any advice?"

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The focus on this thread is currently more on why I had considered both or the comparison between the two, as opposed to best ways to trade in/sell a recently purchased new car, which is more what I was going for.

I agree the raptor is way more vehicle than the 4runner. No argument here. But I happen to know folks who considered the 4runner, as well as a Jeep wrangler, also a tacoma, and the raptor. I think there is a certain persona with those type of vehicles that appeals to a personality type.

I've had pickup trucks most of my life, but lately have been driving SUVs since they are a tad more family friendly. Also have a 4x8 utility trailer, so the bed isn't that big of a deal. But you can't really compare to the performance of the raptor, and really that is what I am interested in.

I have considered the explorer ST, but I want something that can take me off the beaten path more than an explorer can offer. Maybe with the new bronco coming out in the next few months, assuming they have a Ford performance version, could check the boxes that the 4runner doesn't for me, but only time will tell.

New guy to this forum, just wanted to introduce myself, also to get a dialogue going about trade in of newer cars, not really about getting beat up for how the 4runner compares to the raptor.

Welcome.

Sounds like the Bronco might suite your needs well; I wish I had more details on whether/when a Ford Performance version will be released. As of now, the rumor is that it will have an option for the 2.7 Ecoboost V6, which in the F-150 is 325HP and 400 lb/ft of torque. That should make it quite a beast. They just need to start building them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir