2019 Raptor stolen from dealer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
I don’t understand how you are paying for a truck that you haven’t taken ownership of/ delivery of. Like worst case scenario here but if you didn’t make the payments what are they going to do? Come repo a truck that you have never had?

Not sure all the details of how it works for our brothers to the north, but I’d be raising hell across the board. I’d personally talk with the bank who has the loan, insurance, police, the dealership and an attorney. And see how all those parties want to play it.

At the end of the day though this truck is not your responsibility to chase down across town. Ford should write this up as a lose and work with you to get you a new one or something else you want. It’s on the dealership to chase the truck down, it is on them 100% no question.

Last edited:

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, car haulers have the absolute worst reputation in the trucking industry. Way too many fly by night owner operators who bought a F-450, threw a fifth wheel on, bought a trailer and who give dealers a cheap rate they don’t want to refuse.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I hate to be the doomsayer here, but... well this is a cr@p sandwich, you’re not going to like it.

1) You’re making payments, and presumably have full coverage insurance from your previous comments. You were right to be suspicious and are right to be concerned now. File an insurance claim now - provide all the data above.
2) You can file a police report all you want, but it’s 99.9% unlikely they will engage. I know the first thing taught to recruits here in the US is ‘Repeat after me: Sir/Madam, that is a civil matter’ - repeat until compliance achieved, return to running stationary radar. To make an actual report, you will need to provide far more proof than necessary at trial to get successful LE engagement. In other words, they have a solid suspect, gps location of the truck, and maybe the gps location of the guy you are talking to on the phone, they’re the same and he’s telling you he doesn’t have the truck despite your agreement with his company. That might be enough to get a detective involved.
3) Unless you have Ford financing, you are on the hook for the payments, not the stealership. You may be able to obtain reimbursement after the fact, but unlikely. Stealership’s attorney would say “you have insurance, file a claim”. I don’t know how Canada is, I believe that would be upheld in most US courts.

I vehemently disagree with @Frogger22 here

don’t understand how you are paying for a truck that you haven’t taken ownership of/ delivery of. Like worst case scenario here but if you didn’t make the payments what are they going to do? Come repo a truck that you have never had?

At the end of the day though this truck is not your responsibility to chase down across town. Ford should write this up as a lose and work with you to get you a new one or something else you want. It’s on the dealership to chase the truck down, it is on them 100% no question.

Once you sign the papers for the truck, requiring payment, you’ve signed the papers for the loan, squarely putting you on the hook for it, not the stealership, not Ford, you.
You withhold payments, the bank will knock your credit each time. You let it go to repossession and good luck getting a car loan or credit card in the next 10 or so years. It is very difficult to live off grid and without credit in today’s society. Further difficulties: You may lose any security clearances you have, your job could be put in jeopardy (Human Resource departments routinely check for bankruptcy, etc, criminal convictions, some of them mine for arrests), where legal, auto insurance companies charge more for customers with risky credit, even if they pay in full at policy renewal. I’m sure I’m missing more. So don’t withhold payment on your loan.

IMO the 2 most likely outcomes are:
1) truck is permanently gone, insurance should cover it.
2) hauler eventually comes up with the truck.

Document all your expenses, it may help later on.

@Harvey Singh : Not saying this to salt an open wound here, and I know you already know this but...

Never, ever sign papers on a vehicle sight unseen, for exactly this reason.
<queue the CHORUS of @FRF who will sing their song of how they done this all the time, they have better things to do with their time than to spend 90 minutes checking out a potential purchase for flaws when the stealership has already done PDI, and everything gonna be fine>

I sincerely wish you the best of luck and hope all the expressions of what to do are totally unnecessary.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Getting Ford involved might make the dealership wake up.

I don’t understand how you are paying for a truck that you haven’t taken ownership of/ delivery of. Like worst case scenario here but if you didn’t make the payments what are they going to do? Come repo a truck that you have never had?

Not sure all the details of how it works for our brothers to the north, but I’d be raising hell across the board. I’d personally talk with the bank who has the loan, insurance, police, the dealership and an attorney. And see how all those parties want to play it.

I hate to be the doomsayer here, but... well this is a cr@p sandwich, you’re not going to like it.

1) You’re making payments, and presumably have full coverage insurance from your previous comments. You were right to be suspicious and are right to be concerned now. File an insurance claim now - provide all the data above.
2) You can file a police report all you want, but it’s 99.9% unlikely they will engage. I know the first thing taught to recruits here in the US is ‘Repeat after me: Sir/Madam, that is a civil matter’ - repeat until compliance achieved, return to running stationary radar. To make an actual report, you will need to provide far more proof than necessary at trial to get successful LE engagement. In other words, they have a solid suspect, gps location of the truck, and maybe the gps location of the guy you are talking to on the phone, they’re the same and he’s telling you he doesn’t have the truck despite your agreement with his company. That might be enough to get a detective involved.
3) Unless you have Ford financing, you are on the hook for the payments, not the stealership. You may be able to obtain reimbursement after the fact, but unlikely. Stealership’s attorney would say “you have insurance, file a claim”. I don’t know how Canada is, I believe that would be upheld in most US courts.

I vehemently disagree with @Frogger22 here

Once you sign the papers for the truck, requiring payment, you’ve signed the papers for the loan, squarely putting you on the hook for it, not the stealership, not Ford, you.
You withhold payments, the bank will knock your credit each time. You let it go to repossession and good luck getting a car loan or credit card in the next 10 or so years. It is very difficult to live off grid and without credit in today’s society. Further difficulties: You may lose any security clearances you have, your job could be put in jeopardy (Human Resource departments routinely check for bankruptcy, etc, criminal convictions, some of them mine for arrests), where legal, auto insurance companies charge more for customers with risky credit, even if they pay in full at policy renewal. I’m sure I’m missing more. So don’t withhold payment on your loan.

IMO the 2 most likely outcomes are:
1) truck is permanently gone, insurance should cover it.
2) hauler eventually comes up with the truck.

Document all your expenses, it may help later on.

@Harvey Singh : Not saying this to salt an open wound here, and I know you already know this but...

Never, ever sign papers on a vehicle sight unseen, for exactly this reason.
<queue the CHORUS of @FRF who will sing their song of how they done this all the time, they have better things to do with their time than to spend 90 minutes checking out a potential purchase for flaws when the stealership has already done PDI, and everything gonna be fine>

I sincerely wish you the best of luck and hope all the expressions of what to do are totally unnecessary.

He didn't buy this from a Ford Dealership, he got it from a Land Rover stealership, he's got to have insurance on it, otherwise how would he get a loan for it. OP, call the police and make a claim on your insurance to start with. In Canada it helps to have a police report for insurance claims.

Frogger22

Reaction score
Notice the question marks on my post? That means I’m asking a question not stating a statement. So implying I said to not pay it and let it go to repo and say F everyone is a falsehood.

Could be different in Canada idk, but signing a contract is an agreement between the parties involved and it is not a one sided street. They did not uphold their side of the contract. You don’t just owe them forever, because you signed that paper. He signed a contract he would pay a set amount for a truck...that truck is not here and never maybe shows up then the contract has been breached. Everything you said above is true, but only if they produced the truck which they have not.

If you really want to go the other way and say it’s his and he wants full ownership of that truck, fine. Then file a police report and go to insurance. It should have full coverage being a new loan from a dealer, eh!?

@smurfslayer

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Notice the question marks on my post? That means I’m asking a question not stating a statement. So implying I said to not pay it and let it go to repo and say F everyone is a falsehood.

I kind of did but it wasn’t just what was said, but what was implied -

Like worst case scenario here but if you didn’t make the payments what are they going to do?

That’s what I was trying to articulate, it could screw up credit huge. At least here in the US, if you are in a lemon law suit and have financed via the manufacturer, you can make payments to escrow, rather than to Ford Credit, GMAC, etc. You have to file paperwork, but it was one of the first questions the lawyer asked me. But this isn’t a lemon law suit, he’s been rooked, basically by a shady stealership and shadier transport company.

I suppose what I’m trying to get at is that it’s not as simple as typing it out. Maybe it does end up being their responsibility but how is he going to enforce it? He’s hundreds of miles away, and the stealership is saying the truck is delivered.

Frogger22

Reaction score
I’m just trying to help our brother in arms over here figure this shit show out. @smurfslayer

And to me there are 2 options in simple terms:

1. You try to get out of the deal and say they never delivered the truck so the contract is void. And that may mean lawyers and fighting them and so on.

2. You basically act as it is your truck, in which case I’d personally probably still talk to a lawyer. Then I’d go to police then insurance.

Basically talking to a lawyer either way would be a decent first stop I’d say

Last edited: