2019 Raptor oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine says synthetic blend under recommended motor oil. Under optional motor oil, it lists full synthetic. Where are you getting this info?
I apologize, I didn’t mean to leave you hangin on this.

From the Raptor supplement for my 2019

6c75bd5b945760a1fcc6e0d4f2172318.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil 1 is no longer a full synthetic...

“Mobil sued Castrol for calling their oil a full synthetic. Which according to Mobil it wasnt a full synthetic like M1 since its not made from a Group IV base stock.

They lost the case, so they decided to start using the cheaper base stock just like Castrol,pennzoil etc. Why make a real synthetic that costs you more money to make then the competition who is charging the same price for their fake synthetic?

German Castrol Syntec 0w-30, Amsoil, redline are some of the few remaining TRUE synthetics( Group IV). The other Castrol syntecs, penzzoil platinum and now Mobile 1 are not TRUE synthetics. They are hydrolocked Group III oils.”

Of course, "full synthetic" is a marketing term, and without real parameters. If someone wants to call only group IV oils synthetic, what is to stop the next person from saying only group V is? So outside this kind of bantering "synthetic" becomes a legal term. But even purely group III oils can be legally synthetic, since they start as hydrocracked and are further modified, this modification changes the oil enough to carry the "synthetic" moniker. But, group IV oils can also be derived from natural petroleum bases, and few doubt their "synthetic" classification. At worst Mobil 1 is a blend of group III "synthetic" and group IV "synthetic", and some weights / types of M1 are solely group IV based. On the other hand, oils labeled synthetic blends normally combine group II oils in the process.

So Mobile 1, in some flavors, may be a blend of group III and IV oils and group V additives, but that is NOT the same as a synthetic / natural blend oil that includes group II oils.

Mobil 1 still advertises as a full synthetic oil, and legally they are. Mobil Super advertises as a synthetic / natural blend.

As to the OP, I use M1, and have in all my vehicles for near 30 years. I still change my oil every 3000 miles, or slightly more. I shoot for 3000, but sometimes push out a bit until convenient. Yes, I am sure someone will tell me I am wasting money running synthetic and changing so often, but it is my money to waste, and it makes me feel good. So for the annual added cost of a single mid cost dinner out with the wife I get to scratch my old school oil training itch.

One thing to keep in mind, boosted motors may eat more oil than NA motors, even if nothing is wrong. The more boost you run / keep your foot into the more oil will be used. If you have only run NA motors in the past you might be concerned by this added oil use. Don't jump to the conclusion that just because your new vehicle used a little oil between oil changes there is something wrong. For example my 2018 Raptor uses, typically, a tad over half a quart between oil changes. But I honestly don't think there is anything wrong. In the same mileage my wifes NA 3.7 L V-6 in her Lincoln will use not a detectable drop.

When I do an oil change all the data goes in the log book. Date, mileage, type of oil used, type of filter used, engine hours, idle hours, etc. I also include the oil level (sometimes with picture of the dip stick) before the change, and a description of the oil level after the change ("top of the hash marks", "quarter down from the top of hash marks", etc, whatever applies). That way I am not relying on memory to compare things.

T!

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it's "recommended" the dealership can use whatever flavor of the spec oil that is listed. When you restrict oil and filters to (XXXX) only that costs money. Hence you will see use only MC filter #(XXXX) and recommended oil (XXXX). This forces the dealership service to use ONLY the specific filter listed and then the oil they use that meets the Ford spec.

Does Ford really sell 55 gallon drums of oil??? Or do service departments have an oil company that fills the bulk tanks with spec'd oils??

Todd Sherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its very interesting, I just pulled the Raptor Supplement for Model Year 2019 off of Ford.com website and clearly shows the Oil Spec is Synthetic Blend. This is same as is in the paper version of the supplement I got with my vehicle which is a Sept 2019 Manufacturing date.

Todd Sherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding to the intrigue here, I pulled the model year 2020 Raptor Supplement off the Ford.com website for giggles and that supplement is dated July 2019 and also states Synthetic Blend motor oil as the spec

Todd Sherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I deciphered this now in a factual way. I guess I must be bored this morning or just interested in how car manufacturers seem to have such confusing information out there on basic things like oil type. On the ford website you can pull your current manuals and supplement printings and you can pull the past printing editions which I did to compare, them. Below is my findings. .

1) So in the supplement printing edition 2 which is dated August, 2018, on page 46 it lists Full Synthetic under Capacities and Specifications, but then on page 48 in that same print edition, it shows the full recommended oil specification and lists the Premium Synthetic Blend as the specified oil

2) In the supplement printing edition 3 which interestingly enough is also dated August 2018 the same month as printing edition 2, on page 49 it clearly lists the Synthetic Blend as the oil spec. Its just a guess, but sounds like printing number 2 was done in error and they caught it in that same month of August 2018 and quickly issued printing edition number 3 which removed any reference to Full Synthetic.

3) The 2020 model year supplement which is referred to as a 2019 print edition 1, is same as the August 2018 print edition 3 showing Synthetic Blend as the required oil spec.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I deciphered this now in a factual way. I guess I must be bored this morning or just interested in how car manufacturers seem to have such confusing information out there on basic things like oil type. On the ford website you can pull your current manuals and supplement printings and you can pull the past printing editions which I did to compare, them. Below is my findings. .

1) So in the supplement printing edition 2 which is dated August, 2018, on page 46 it lists Full Synthetic under Capacities and Specifications, but then on page 48 in that same print edition, it shows the full recommended oil specification and lists the Premium Synthetic Blend as the specified oil

2) In the supplement printing edition 3 which interestingly enough is also dated August 2018 the same month as printing edition 2, on page 49 it clearly lists the Synthetic Blend as the oil spec. Its just a guess, but sounds like printing number 2 was done in error and they caught it in that same month of August 2018 and quickly issued printing edition number 3 which removed any reference to Full Synthetic.

3) The 2020 model year supplement which is referred to as a 2019 print edition 1, is same as the August 2018 print edition 3 showing Synthetic Blend as the required oil spec.

The new 2020 I just purchased with a June 2020 build date also has the same #3 2019 print edition 1 printed supplement that shows Synthetic Blend on page 49.