2019 IWE noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CptMorgan

Reaction score
I have had a rattle/grinding on hard acceleration since new. 2WD only. My dealer has finally concluded it's a 4WD issue. But that is as far as they can get. They say they check all the vacuum lines. They can't find the problem. They are back to looking for codes.

With all that is going on, I don't want my truck in the shop. I think it's best if I just fix it myself.

My dealer says the 2019 don't have the IWE check valve or solenoid issue. Is that true?

Any ideas where to look?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I don’t think they changed the IWE system that much, if at all from 2015(?) maybe earlier. @FordTechOne previously posted some discussion of the IWE system and troubleshooting.

You’re on to the correct workaround; 4a. put it in 4a and do as little drive mode / transfer case changing as you can until it’s fixed.

If it’s the solenoid, it’s very near the master cylinder and very inexpensive. I think I paid $18 for 2 of them.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would buy the part (FL3Z3A788B) and just replace it yourself. Takes less than five minutes several vids on youtube to follow. If it grinds in 2WD and switching to 4A immediately remedies it then that is likely your issue.

KDub

Reaction score
If it's been grinding for awhile, is there a risk of the IWE "teeth" being ground down too much to function properly even after the solenoid or tube replacement?

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it's been grinding for awhile, is there a risk of the IWE "teeth" being ground down too much to function properly even after the solenoid or tube replacement?

Yes, The hub could also need replaced. From what i've seen it tends to be the hub and shaft side that grinds. The iwe is cheap, so if your going to check it out, you might as well replace it. The crappy part is that if the hub is bad you have to buy a whole new hub assembly. I'm considering just pulling the vacuum off and keeping the iwe engaged. I drove a few miles like this and didnt see a difference in the steering or anything like that.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, The hub could also need replaced. From what i've seen it tends to be the hub and shaft side that grinds. The iwe is cheap, so if your going to check it out, you might as well replace it. The crappy part is that if the hub is bad you have to buy a whole new hub assembly. I'm considering just pulling the vacuum off and keeping the iwe engaged. I drove a few miles like this and didnt see a difference in the steering or anything like that.
Dorman now makes IWE replacements that stay permanently engaged and plug the vacuum line.

I JUST replaced an IWE (again). My passenger IWE wasn't holding pressure, which was also causing low enough pressure for the driver's side to rattle.

Get yourself a cheap vacuum gauge - Harbor Freight brake bleed kit. You can vacuum test each IWE (while still on the truck) very easily. Then you can test the lines. It only takes a couple minutes.

alphatwox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions. I had an IWE issue before, replaced the vac tube, all good! It’s been a year and now I’m having what sounds like the issue again. Grinding sound, but this time a little bit of a thud toward the noise ending. I presume it’s grinding and catching. All on the driver side. Video attached.

May just have to pull the trigger and replace the hubs or just try the vac tube fix once again??? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking for opinions. I had an IWE issue before, replaced the vac tube, all good! It’s been a year and now I’m having what sounds like the issue again. Grinding sound, but this time a little bit of a thud toward the noise ending. I presume it’s grinding and catching. All on the driver side. Video attached.

May just have to pull the trigger and replace the hubs or just try the vac tube fix once again??? Thoughts? Suggestions?

As stated above, vacuum test the components before replacing. It can be a number of things, but a vacuum test will tell you. It's a leak somewhere.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Went out into the garage and looked at an iwe I recently replaced. Holds vacuum fine but did notice it doesn’t evenly engage/disengage. Looks like an issue with the internal spring but wonder if that could be an issue or not.

D6CF6F2B-AC8F-44A5-887C-584AD1F66B2C.jpeg

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Went out into the garage and looked at an iwe I recently replaced. Holds vacuum fine but did notice it doesn’t evenly engage/disengage. Looks like an issue with the internal spring but wonder if that could be an issue or not.

View attachment 140106
It could cause engagement issues, but that wouldn't cause 2WD grinding noises. I suspect that in reality it would still work fine since it can't really engage crooked like that. It's kinda forced to line up, but who knows, just depends on how strong it still springs. I wouldn't use it.

My last IWE I replaced last weekend held no pressure, but the symptom surfaced as the opposite IWE grinding, since the pressure loss was weakening the whole system enough to cause partial engagement on the opposite side. Very counterintuitive. This is why I say to test all components with the vacuum gauge first. It can save you a lot of time and prevent throwing parts at it (like my ******* did, even though I know better).