GEN 2 2019 15K miles bangs or lunges into M9 when paddle shifted - not a positive thing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Basil S2K

Reaction score
Had the truck for about 3 months, when I manually shift with the button on the "stick" of paddles M9 bangs in really rough, like I said this is not a positive. The truck actually lunges a bit after a short hesitation. Does it in normal as well as sport modes.

I know a bit about cars / trucks but this is my first auto trans in decades so I'm at a loss to know if this is normal or something to correct. Saw other threads about something the dealer can reset?

anyone had similar?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What speeds are you driving where you’re manually shifting into 9th gear? I’m guessing you bought it used; it’s possible the previous owner had a tune installed, which will modify transmission shift speed and engagement. The drive mode you’re in will also affect engagement, Sport mode is much firmer and aggressive than Normal mode.

OP
OP
B

Basil S2K

Reaction score
Wouldn't know about a tune, any easy way to find out? Would a dealer be able to tell me?

The issue is in all drive modes sport and normal and you can feel it at any speed, even if I'm just heading down the road with my foot barely on the gas. if I'm going fast enough to manually shift it into M9 it will lurch a little.

Thanks all. LOVE this truck, says a lot based on some great cars I've owned. Get offers to sell it way above what I paid - too funny!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wouldn't know about a tune, any easy way to find out? Would a dealer be able to tell me?

The issue is in all drive modes sport and normal and you can feel it at any speed, even if I'm just heading down the road with my foot barely on the gas. if I'm going fast enough to manually shift it into M9 it will lurch a little.

Thanks all. LOVE this truck, says a lot based on some great cars I've owned. Get offers to sell it way above what I paid - too funny!
The dealer can tell if it's been recently re-flashed and can compare the current calibration file names against the original, but if the tune was installed a while back and not re-flashed to stock before selling/trade, it may not be obvious. Some tuners also use the OE calibration file names, which means an engineer would need to be involved to verify the calibration.

If it shifts smoothly when in Drive and only shifts hard in Manual mode, that is an indication that it is calibration related, not a mechanical issue with the transmission. The Workshop Manual states the following:

Drive Modes

Optimum shift quality is provided in Drive (D) when the Normal Drive Mode is selected. In Manual (M) or when a different Drive Mode is selected, the strategy will provide more aggressive shifts.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah... I notice in manual mode the shifting can be a little inelegant if you’re outside the range of where you should shift. I don’t think it’s like OP describes for me but I do notice manual being a little more lurch-y

OP
OP
B

Basil S2K

Reaction score
yeah so I went for a ride today and can describe it as a slight hesitation followed by a lurch, it all happens very fast, M9 is definitely different than other gears.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
yeah so I went for a ride today and can describe it as a slight hesitation followed by a lurch, it all happens very fast, M9 is definitely different than other gears.
Are you off the gas or ‘trailing’ throttle? Upshifts can be made in this condition but sometimes you can get a shift that doesn’t go well.

If you try upshifting m8, 9, 10 on steady throttle, it doesn’t have to be full throttle, but enough, does it still do it?