2018 Raptor broken into.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Note to add, I am going to get those Apple AirTags, and hide one or two in my vehicles, This is low cost GPS tracker, $29 a pieces. I heard thieves have been placing them on target vehicles so they can see where you live and places you go. Like this article. So why not hide some in your car, at least you can help law enforcement with some data. I'm sure they got similar for Android users.

https://news.yahoo.com/thieves-using-apple-airtags-track-140252661.html#:~:text=1 Police in Canada have warned that thieves,intended to help users locate lost personal objects.

it’s a good stopgap, but not a good long term solution. AirTags announce themselves once they are in range of an apple device not known, so that would prompt a thief to stop, find it, toss it, move on with theft.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it’s a good stopgap, but not a good long term solution. AirTags announce themselves once they are in range of an apple device not known, so that would prompt a thief to stop, find it, toss it, move on with theft.

My understanding is that they are technically not GPS, but bluetooth tracking. They depend on nearby apple device to effectively create a network to get the location.

I have an android phone, and use title for my keys and wallet. They work similar, although it's not all android or apple phones in the network, but anyone running the tile app. I have considered one for the truck, but I'm not sure it would be that useful. It would only be useful if a thief didn't disable Ford GPS tracking AND there happened be someone with Tile walking buy.

For general lost items, they do make sense, as the title will tell you it's last reported location, or alert you when an item is out of bluetooth range. For moving objects or items you don't keep on you...not so much.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything GPS will also require a clear view to the sky (satellite).

And don’t fool yourself, just because your phone shows where you are inside a building doesn’t mean it’s the GPS. It’s all the WiFi and Bluetooth contact points tracking you wherever you go.

BlueWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are all correct. i just worded it GPS tracker, but is is in fact using Bluetooth connection and in apples case would only work if another IOS device with GPS/internet connection is nearby for it to communicate with.
I'm gonna get the aforementioned Ravelco anyways, and will hide 2 airtags in very difficult to find place. It wont' do much to stop the thief, but at least give a possible chance to know where it is. and i stress "possible".

My thought was for $29 bucks..... or $60 since I'm doing two. No big deal.

I looked into consolevault too, seems like easy install, wonder if that's same OEM that ford offers as option item.

Last edited:

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a door handle question..... Do you want a front door handle from the passenger side installed upside down or a rear door handle from the drivers side installed normally to use as a replacement for the drivers door handle key lock assembly vulnerability?

FarmersFight

Reaction score
My Gen 2 was broken in to the exact same way in San Antonio back in October. Nice hotel— Courtyard Marriott in Stone Oak. Woke up to a Ford Pass alert on my phone of the door being opened at 3:15am. Thugs pulled my horn cord with a clothes hanger hook through the front grill, so the alarm went off but with no horn sounding. Didn’t take anything. Back seat was lifted up and center console rummaged through— looking for guns. Luckily I had it inside the hotel room with me. Hit 2 other nearby Ford trucks— an F-150 King Ranch and an F250 Platinum. 3 nice Ford trucks all within 100 feet of each other. Cops didn’t even come out since they didn’t mess with the steering column. Worst part was the hassle of getting it repaired. Took 2 weeks for parts and paint and repairs to be done, and no rental cars were available. Made it tough to figure out logistics with wife, 3 kids, and work travel. Live in Houston, and usually just drive there, but not anymore. Will fly and rent a car. San Antonio is not a good place for Raptors sitting out in the wild.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Anything GPS will also require a clear view to the sky (satellite).

And don’t fool yourself, just because your phone shows where you are inside a building doesn’t mean it’s the GPS. It’s all the WiFi and Bluetooth contact points tracking you wherever you go.

GPS doesn’t need full, 100% unobstructed view of the sky. Without going to deep into it, I’ve definitely got some gps tracked vehicles should they find their way to some place I didn’t approve. The units are placed stealthily, not in view, and work perfectly fine. It’s generally true, but newer units are much more effective at getting and holding a signal lock.

BUT: once inside a shielded building, underground parking garage, etc. the gps (only) units stop working. Cellular assisted units continue working if the sky is completely obstructed and there’s a cell signal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter