2018 Ford Raptor Front Differential broke in the snow they say that Ford may not cover it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Isn't the drivetrain warranted for 100,000 miles, no matter what extended warranty you have? Find another dealer and don't tell them you drove it with it banging and grinding, getting it off a mountain is one thing, driving it like that on a highway is stupid, keep that part to yourself. All else fails and I know it's inconvenient, get it towed home like others have said.

^^inherent powertrain warranty is 5 years / 60k miles

Last edited:
OP
OP
tbraly

tbraly

Reaction score
If you have a FORD ESP it’s unlikely they wouldn’t cover it but... this part above confuses me.

You have to drive it off the mountain, got that. you drove to the closed stealership and they told you ‘begone, peasant!’ ? presumably they were too busy. On the way to 2nd stealership the diff came apart. - Correct?

this part sometimes causes manufacturers to lose their common sense with the “well, Mister soandso, you knew the truck had a problem, continued to drive it and made the damage worse. Neglect! No warranty for you!”

During my decades ago lemon law suit; I think it may have been the incident the actually started it; I had been in for a transmission repair, down 3 weeks, got it back and thought I saw trailing smoke when I got it back. I couldn’t recreate it. I though I saw it again and had someone follow me - they confirmed it. I call the stealership service department, they tell me ‘drive it in, we’ll take a look’. I’m like “drive it, you don’t want me to tow it?” No, says they, it will be fine.

From that point on, it shifted funny; I say wrongly, they disagreed, but it was different from other vehicles like it and not for the better.

I was questioned on that event pre-trial, they tried to make it a thing, but the service mangler, to his credit did not deny my description of the events.

It sound like your truck was drivable until the first stealership shooed you away, that’s a tough thing for Ford to say isn’t their “fault”.
I understand what you are saying about continuing to drive, but I had a Elk and three guns and about 3k of personal property in the truck and was just trying to get it to the dealership. I have had things stolen by wreckers in the past and was trying to avoid that.

OP
OP
tbraly

tbraly

Reaction score
The dealer figures that he has you by the balls. You're from out of town, can't badmouth him to the locals, will never buy from him, never go there for service again, so there's no reason not to bend you over the barrel ... Can you call around and find an honest dealer that's closer?
I am hoping that the Ford ESP will cover it. The service rep said she wasn't sure they would and that the technician thinks I over torqued it. She made me give her authorization for the repair in case the warranty declines to pay before she would order parts.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
... She made me give her authorization for the repair in case the warranty declines to pay before she would order parts...

You're screwed. I'd get Ford customer service involved first thing Monday morning. They probably won't be much help with that dealer as they seem to have no ability to keep their dealers in line, but it's a possible path to getting it covered by FMC in the end.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I was at Lewis and Clark National forest. I was on backcountry hunt.

So you’re near-ish to Great Falls. If you were closer to Missoula (3hrs east of Great Falls) I’d say check in with the Lithia Ford. So far they’ve been really good to me.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You're screwed. I'd get Ford customer service involved first thing Monday morning. They probably won't be much help with that dealer as they seem to have no ability to keep their dealers in line, but it's a possible path to getting it covered by FMC in the end.

I missed that part. he’s right. The warranty allocation for that repair is probably on the short side and that’s probably why they want the auth for your money.
Withdraw your consent for out of pocket repairs ASAP and engage Ford CS like @GordoJay said.