2018 Adaptive cruise / stop and go retrofit into 2017 yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xxaarraa, said another way: it is very hard to retrofit what doesn't exist. So all the BSing that has gone on in what you decry as hijacking your thread does matter. And at least for me...I think it's all pretty lighthearted f'ing with one another, which is kinda the hallmark of FRF. I also believe that the pictures I've provided and potential FORScan places to look are more than can be said for most others. Did you ever get a LiDAR part number from Ford or more info from livnitup? And from my pictures, jaz13 has said that it is exactly the same as his...which pretty much rules out the idea that my truck has LiDAR which apparently is needed for accurate tracking below 20mph...which further adds to the idea that I'm full of shit.

And since I'm (I think) the only one that thinks I have it...don't hold your breath. 'Cause now I don't even think I have it. I know I've gone below 20mph and ACC was still functional. I know trucks in front of me stopped and started moving again and my truck followed...now whether my truck had caught up enough to actually stop...that's what I am going to look into, and I'm more than willing to prove myself wrong. I know in this thread people have said "standard" ACC cruise shuts down at 20mph. Another thread said around 12mph. Smokeshow has said elsewhere it's at 15mph. The collision warning system says it's active at about 5mph or above. When mine has flashed amber and shut down it has been (seemingly) at a crawl.

It sounds like you want Stop n Go Cruise 'cause you drive in a city regularly and encounter stop n go traffic? I live in the least populous state other than Alaska. Not a regular concern for me. My feeling is when it gets parking lot like on the road...it's a helluva lot easier to just drive your truck yourself, maintaining your own desired following distance, etc. as others will be cutting into your gap if you let the truck handle it. But pursue the feature if you want...I get it, different strokes for different folks.

Bottom line is you're trying to get information to do something to your truck that:
A) no one here has ever done
B) no one has any direct knowledge of because none of our trucks have it

So if we'd all been on our game 11 days ago when you posted:

I believe the 2018s have stop and go / adaptive cruise (via the addition of a LIDAR unit in the rearview mirror?).

Any news yet on whether these can be retrofitted into 2017s?

We would have jumped right in and said:

NO. 2018's do not have Stop and Go feature as part of their ACC either. They do not have the LiDAR unit. Here is a picture of a fully loaded 2018 showing that it does not have it.

That all being said, the most expensive F150 rear view mirror currently available on the Ford Parts online site is the rain sensing, high beam, lane keeping assist one that we have on 2018s. And there was some sort of change in the mirrors for trucks built after 10/9/2016. Perhaps the newer mirror w/LiDAR hasn't made it into the parts system.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Next steps:

-Befriend a Lariat owner with Stop n Go ACC.
-Get his/her VIN and download the As Built data
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt
-Compare yours to theirs
CompulsiveCode - AFPexplorer

If it appears it's simply some toggle bits...get the mirror (and windshield if needed) and make history.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xxaarraa, said another way: it is very hard to retrofit what doesn't exist. So all the BSing that has gone on in what you decry as hijacking your thread does matter. And at least for me...I think it's all pretty lighthearted f'ing with one another, which is kinda the hallmark of FRF. I also believe that the pictures I've provided and potential FORScan places to look are more than can be said for most others. Did you ever get a LiDAR part number from Ford or more info from livnitup? And from my pictures, jaz13 has said that it is exactly the same as his...which pretty much rules out the idea that my truck has LiDAR which apparently is needed for accurate tracking below 20mph...which further adds to the idea that I'm full of shit.

And since I'm (I think) the only one that thinks I have it...don't hold your breath. 'Cause now I don't even think I have it. I know I've gone below 20mph and ACC was still functional. I know trucks in front of me stopped and started moving again and my truck followed...now whether my truck had caught up enough to actually stop...that's what I am going to look into, and I'm more than willing to prove myself wrong. I know in this thread people have said "standard" ACC cruise shuts down at 20mph. Another thread said around 12mph. Smokeshow has said elsewhere it's at 15mph. The collision warning system says it's active at about 5mph or above. When mine has flashed amber and shut down it has been (seemingly) at a crawl.

It sounds like you want Stop n Go Cruise 'cause you drive in a city regularly and encounter stop n go traffic? I live in the least populous state other than Alaska. Not a regular concern for me. My feeling is when it gets parking lot like on the road...it's a helluva lot easier to just drive your truck yourself, maintaining your own desired following distance, etc. as others will be cutting into your gap if you let the truck handle it. But pursue the feature if you want...I get it, different strokes for different folks.

Bottom line is you're trying to get information to do something to your truck that:

NO. 2018's do not have Stop and Go feature as part of their ACC either. They do not have the LiDAR unit. Here is a picture of a fully loaded 2018 showing that it does not have it.

That all being said, the most expensive F150 rear view mirror currently available on the Ford Parts online site is the rain sensing, high beam, lane keeping assist one that we have on 2018s. And there was some sort of change in the mirrors for trucks built after 10/9/2016. Perhaps the newer mirror w/LiDAR hasn't made it into the parts system.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Next steps:

-Compare yours to theirs

If it appears it's simply some toggle bits...get the mirror (and windshield if needed) and make history.

I appreciate you for this post. Thank you

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Next steps:

-Compare yours to theirs

FWIW ACC shuts off when you fall below 12 mph. You can’t reactivate it until you go above 20 mph.

To the OP: determining if the 2018’s had it wasn’t irrelevant. If it did, it would be that much easier to retrofit into a 2017. And as an aside, if the 2018 has stop-and-go and there was no way to retrofit I would have very likely traded my 2017 for a 2018.

Also, I can get you a fully loaded Lariat VIN if you want it.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW ACC shuts off when you fall below 12 mph. You can’t reactivate it until you go above 20 mph.

Thanks for the clarity photoneffect.

I'd say that accurately describes my drive home from the airport today. :crazy:
Having read the description in the manual after my first day behind the wheel I think the power of suggestion took over. Just glad I didn't hit anything the handful of times I've demonstrated it to others. And glad I rarely find myself in heavy, stopped traffic where having additional capabilities like Stop and Go would be helpful. Apologies all around. :ROFLJest:

Not a big fan of the trend toward auto-driving features but ACC may be my favorite tech on the new truck...and the implementation seems nicer than other vehicles I've used it on (mainly Audi and Mercedes). Hope OP can make some progress in their quest for Stop n Go.

OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove through NYC yesterday (GW upper level) and was using radar cruise on my 17. As we know, it cuts out under 12 and you have to get back on the gas pedal manually to keep truck moving. But.... cruise automatically picks back up once you get moving at a decent pace. i.e., I didn't have to re-engage cruise once you get back to pace, it just does it automatically.

Which makes it weird that they make it cut off at 12 mph or below. Anyway, it's not that bad, just wished it didn't cut out at 12 mph.

Schmagagled

Reaction score
I drove through NYC yesterday (GW upper level) and was using radar cruise on my 17. As we know, it cuts out under 12 and you have to get back on the gas pedal manually to keep truck moving. But.... cruise automatically picks back up once you get moving at a decent pace. i.e., I didn't have to re-engage cruise once you get back to pace, it just does it automatically.

Which makes it weird that they make it cut off at 12 mph or below. Anyway, it's not that bad, just wished it didn't cut out at 12 mph.

The fidelity of the doppler signal and the delay time in system reaction is the reason it cuts out below 12mph/20kph. LIDAR signal return is fast enough that the system can support the kind of response that freeway stop and go requires.

S.

OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fidelity of the doppler signal and the delay time in system reaction is the reason it cuts out below 12mph/20kph. LIDAR signal return is fast enough that the system can support the kind of response that freeway stop and go requires.

S.

Makes sense. Hence my question about retrofitting the LIDAR unit from 2018 F150s.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

How cool is that?!

about the automatic resume, not about the GW bridge :biggrin:

griskait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to see the start and stop function, this is the one thing I really miss.
I had a volvo xc90 and the semi autonomous driving was the reason I choose that car. I must say the smoothness of the Ford acc is impressive, volvo is extremely more "nervous". The reactions of the brake and acceleration were far from smooth.
But I still miss the stop and go feature, and do not appreciate that the system just shut off below 12mph. It was comforting that if you were distracted the car would come to a complete stop.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would love to see the start and stop function, this is the one thing I really miss.
I had a volvo xc90 and the semi autonomous driving was the reason I choose that car. I must say the smoothness of the Ford acc is impressive, volvo is extremely more "nervous". The reactions of the brake and acceleration were far from smooth.
But I still miss the stop and go feature, and do not appreciate that the system just shut off below 12mph. It was comforting that if you were distracted the car would come to a complete stop.

The new Ford system is also supposed to have "lane centering" instead of the bumper cars the Raptor does between the edges of the lane. Stop and go and lane centering would be a nice upgrade.