2017 Screw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgcole44

Reaction score
Hello all,

I may be finally making my purchase today. I’ve been very selective in my search.. wanting a 2017 avalanche screw with under 80k miles. I found one, the financing offered is good, price is ok and trade in is $5k above what KBB shows.. only issue, it’s out of warranty and has a cold start rattle (cam phaser.. yay). I’ve been told this is a costly fix out of warranty…

Any advice from my new raptor pals is appreciated..
should I purchase the extended warranty and hope Ford Covers it? Should I just save that $3k on the warranty and pay out of pocket? Or should I just avoid this one and hope another dealer is crazy enough to offer me so much above what I owe on my Titan?!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@FordTechOne may be able to clarify it this is covered; Ford issued a memo or TSB(?) offering revised programming and extended coverage for phasers.

Or maybe someone else has quick access to that memo Ford put out. Either way, there may be some coverage for it.

Otherwise, how is the truck?

OP
OP
sgcole44

sgcole44

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. The truck is In great shape, minus the phaser (or what I believe to be the phasers) .. one owner, clean carfax, good maintenance.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the cam phasers need replacing, it will cost more than 3k out of pocket, hopefully it's still covered by the extended phaser warranty, I think it is prorated or something. @FordTechOne knows all. Are you buying from a Ford dealer, if not, go to a F dealer and run the vin and ask about doing the phasers.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne may be able to clarify it this is covered; Ford issued a memo or TSB(?) offering revised programming and extended coverage for phasers.

Or maybe someone else has quick access to that memo Ford put out. Either way, there may be some coverage for it.

Otherwise, how is the truck?
Yes, it’s a Customer Satisfaction Program, 21N03. The extended coverage in the 80,000-89,999 bracket is 33%. So if the dealer charges $3,000 for the repair, 1/3 of it will be covered by the extended warranty.

OP
OP
sgcole44

sgcole44

Reaction score
If the cam phasers need replacing, it will cost more than 3k out of pocket, hopefully it's still covered by the extended phaser warranty, I think it is prorated or something. @FordTechOne knows all. Are you buying from a Ford dealer, if not, go to a F dealer and run the vin and ask about doing the phasers.
Thanks for the info, I am not buying from a Ford dealer. I called our local one and they just said exactly what fordtech posted. Prorated and cover 33%.
Decisions .. decisions