2017+ performance question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have lane assist on mine and it’s not on unless i push the button and turn it on.

As far as performance goes these trucks need a tune right after purchase, I have the Whipple Stage 1 kit on mine and it’s pretty quick for a truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Iceman22

Reaction score
Interesting! So it’s off unless you ask for it to be on? And it will remain off through ignition cycles?

Wonder if the salesman was misinformed. He stated it was automatically on and I would have to overtly turn it off each time I turned the truck on.

He did however mention you can permanently disable auto start/stop by putting a trailer connection adaptor in the plug? Stated if the truck things it’s it’s towing it won’t start/stop

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought a new Chevy 1/2 ton z71 ltz extended cab with the 6.2 back in 2011. My two prior trucks were the awd 6L SS Silverado and a ltz diesel dually. I HATED the 1/2 ton with the 6.2 SO MUCH that I sold it back to the dealer and lost my ass!!! The interior was small, I’m 5’10” and weigh 175. The seats were terrible!!! **** Chevy!!!!! The motor was blah. They should be sued for having off-road even associated with that pos. Fast forward a couple years and I ordered a 14 raptor, fell in Love with that truck. I reluctantly traded it in on an 18 due to rust starting to show from all of the salt nys spreads in the winter. The 18 is amazing!! It was great to start and gets better with every mod I do!!!!! Stage two @goosetuned has it pull evenly with my friends C63 AMG with an AMG reflash from 30mph to 80, that’s with 37s and method beadlocks. Buy what you like or want! No other manufacturer builds anything even remotely close to the raptor!!!

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks GCATX,

Your comments definitely having me thinking it’s been running on 87. I know they’ve had it on the floor plan for 104 days so I’m sure the dealership isn’t splurging for 93 in between test drives.

That being said it’s a little bit of a gamble to purchase hoping a couple weeks later I can right the ship with better fuel since no dealer in their right mind would let me return it if for whatever reason, I didn’t feel it “changed enough”

P.S.

Is there any way to permanently disable lane keep assist? I know I’ll get pounced on for this but I never use turn signals and I was having to actively fight the wheel on the highway. I was shocked and how much resistance it put up. My mother’s subaru just provides an audible chime. I had no idea some of these systems actually perform steering inputs
Find one without the tech package.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Didn’t pass my personal “on ramp” and “dotted yellow overtake” test.

that’s more helpful. The Rap tries to torque its way out of situations on the highway rather than downshift. Even in sport mode, because it will hold 10th gear down to about 60 mph in sport. In normal, it’s way worse.

On ramps are another matter. You’re likely seeing tire spin that traction control is chopping. The KO2s are not sticky on pavement. roll with the windows down and radio off and you will hear just how much they’re spinning at take off with even mild throttle input. If you go into an exit ramp in normal mode, you have little choice but to floor it to get a downshift to an appropriate gear to accelerate, or, wait for people to pass you and merge. Manually shifting helps overcome this. If you keep RPMS up, it moves out sharply, but, you had best be wheels straight. if you’re taking off from a stop and have a turn or curve to immediately negotiate, t/c is going to ruin the fun quickly.

4a helps with the traction and mitigates --SOME-- of the traction control nanny-ism on the street, but not all of it. it’s not a full time, Subaru like system, but helps.

test drive again with these things in mind.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Thanks GCATX,

Your comments definitely having me thinking it’s been running on 87. I know they’ve had it on the floor plan for 104 days so I’m sure the dealership isn’t splurging for 93 in between test drives.

That being said it’s a little bit of a gamble to purchase hoping a couple weeks later I can right the ship with better fuel since no dealer in their right mind would let me return it if for whatever reason, I didn’t feel it “changed enough”

P.S.

Is there any way to permanently disable lane keep assist? I know I’ll get pounced on for this but I never use turn signals and I was having to actively fight the wheel on the highway. I was shocked and how much resistance it put up. My mother’s subaru just provides an audible chime. I had no idea some of these systems actually perform steering inputs
Push the button right behind the shift lever and it turns it off. It’s a nightmare on windy mountain roads.

D Wilhelm

Reaction score
I traded in my 2015 Sierra 6.2L on 19’ Raptor. I too drove the new GM 6.2L as well. My only hesitation was the twin turbo six. I’ve now logged 11k miles and I can say the Raptor is far superior to any variant of the GM’s. You need to learn how to drive the Raptor as it’s different than a V8. Need to be aware of gear/modes/and turbo spool level. Like the interior, the Raptor is more technologically advanced in every way. You need to be into that stuff. I am.

I could care less about pulling ahead a hood or two from anyone down the street. If that’s what your looking for, you can save big bucks and buy any number of trucks to modify to haul ass and your 2x4’s from Home Depot.

Raptors are refined for daily driving but are complete waste if your not using off road. There is nothing like them period. The off road capabilities are unmatched, period.

I run 93 octane and have all the power I want. Who cares if the 6.2L feels faster? You’ll be filling up every 300 miles with the mini tank it offers. The 36 gallon Raptor tank is a game changer.

5459795A-68BE-42B7-BF7E-55AEC4C5CF67.jpeg

663376B7-1C15-467D-91F2-2342E162709E.jpeg

TRAPTOR-REX

Reaction score
I had 2008 Denali sierra all-wheel drive with the 403hp 6.2L and yeah I must say the 6.2L felt noticeably stronger than my 2017 Raptor. When I got my raptor I expected it to feel noticeably stronger, but it doesn’t also I only use 91+ octane.

I believe the raptor is actually quicker 0-60 and through the quarter but the power rush from the naturally aspirated V8 was instant. Also when you floored it while driving and it downshifted (there was a long pause for the DS) the initial kick was furious, so you really felt the instant power. For the raptor I suspect the power is fed in gradually so you don’t feel it the same, but it’s probably quicker in a timed run.

I suspect part of the problem with the raptor is the electronics limit how quick it feeds in the torque to protect the drive train, especially from a standing start, also perhaps just plan old turbo lag.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on the freeway the other day next to an older Chevy 2500 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed. He had the huge diameter stock exhaust pipe exiting behind right rear tire. I was going to pass him with no drama but when I got next to him he floored it. Big puff of black smoke out his tailpipe when he floored it. I wasn't ready. I could only get half car length ahead of him until he got stuck in traffic. Then 5 miles up he comes up beside me again. This time open road and I was ready in Sport Mode. Same results. I think he had the big GM Turbo Diesel maybe with a tune? Raptor nearly beat by a Chevy Diesel???!

I thought my Raptor would have easily pulled past him. Nope! It seems there's not much grunt left in the 3.5 Turbo after 4,000 RPM at 50 MPH+ acceleration. My 2017 SCREW is stock except for a CAI. Will exhaust and tune help with high RPM power boost? Sport mode has no effect that I can feel on acceleration at 50 MPH and high RPMs. Im running 91 Octane (10 Ethanol) gas. I have not seen 93 here. I'm running mud tires which doesnt help.

The Gen 2 Raptor off the line and at lower RPM is definetely fantastic compared to other stock trucks and even basic Muscle Cars. Our 4.10 gears help with off the line acceleration too.

Last edited: