2017+ performance question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iceman22

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking into a 17+ raptor and have a question for anyone, especially guys who have owned a 6.2 GM truck. Let me preface my next statement by saying this is not meant to start a war.....

I recently got rid of my ‘16 1500 Silverado with 6.2L. Was looking to get into something with new interior tech and get rid of the god awful 8spd tranny.

I went and looked at a new Chevy with the 6.2 and loved the motor with the 10spd. However my personal opinion is the interior in the new Chevy almost seems like it went backwards and it got me thinking about other offerings. By no means am I married to any single brand.... plus I don’t need to worry about max towing or payload. For me a truck is a daily driver that I want to have decent performance and occasional be able to move around oversized items such as plywood or a 2x4’s.

So, with that in mind we went to the local ford dealership and test drove a used (low mileage) 2018 raptor. I honestly thought I would leave the dealership with it jumping to the top of the list but instead I left underwhelmed.

My butt dyno told me the Chevy was faster by a noticeable margin. I made mention of that to the salesman while we were on the test drive and he stated “well, you really want it and to be in sport mode if you’re looking for max performance”. He walked me through the buttons on the steering wheel and I did another 40-70mph pull. I felt absolutely no difference.

I guess what I’m trying to ask without starting a flame war is; was there possible something wrong with the truck? Something I missed? A different mode I should have been in?

I just expected to be blown away with the performance for truck given the stats it has on paper and I left disappointed. I didn’t expect it to be a Porsche turbo but I thought it would definitely be noticeable over my perceived performance of the 6.2.

I will say everything else about it was absolutely lovely. Steering feel, interior comfort, amenities, road presence, etc. In my opinion it was better in every regard compared to the Chevy with the exception of acceleration

So is there anyone out there who has tested them back to back or owner both? Would love to hear your thought!

Skai

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, they're in Denver so of course the Raptor is faster at that elevation.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I will say everything else about it was absolutely lovely. Steering feel, interior comfort, amenities, road presence, etc. In my opinion it was better in every regard compared to the Chevy with the exception of acceleration

So I haven’t been in a new Chevy truck, but I would offer this by way of explanation.
1) The 2017+ is rated at 450 crank hp, which I think is “optimistic”.
2) There’s a really significant drop in power running 87 octane gas. it’s not much on the way to 60, but it’s noticeable in a 40-60 pull in the summer.
3) it’s not that much faster than the Jennifer from 2014 and earlier. it’s faster, but not worlds faster.
4) from a standing start, just sitting a light and then flooring it, you should see a tick under 6 seconds to 60. Better if you’re waiting for it and ready. That’s reasonable for a 5800 pound truck. The Limited with smaller tires will do better.
5) I’d bet it actually is faster than the Chevy, and the butt-meter needs recalibrating.

Even so, you need to go with what you like more and if that’s the Chevy, do it.

OP
OP
I

Iceman22

Reaction score
Smurf,

Thanks for the detailed response!

I have a feeling you’re right in the sense it’s probably a combination of things. Every ounce of me wants to like the ford more. Maybe I need to A/B test them again.

Absolutely bad*ss truck. Just didn’t have the initial drama I expected on tip-in from highway cruising to 100% WOT. Didn’t pass my personal “on ramp” and “dotted yellow overtake” test.

If anything, I expected the torque to come on stronger/sooner in the ecoboost. In the trucks defense the salesman said I am the first person he has ever dealt with that said the truck seemed slower than expected. Maybe it’s just the power delivery of the motor va the 6.2 and what I’m used to. Also, it doesn’t make nearly as much noise as the 6.2 so maybe it’s a mental thing for me?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Like Smurfslayer said, probably has 87 octane. The timing gets pretty retarded (been itching to use that word for a while) on these with 87, like 2 different trucks really, compared to running 93. My wife has an '18 shorty escalade with 6.2, the Raptor blows it away in acceleration, Escalade may be a bit heavier, don't know, but not even close in giddyup and ride comfort. The gagdetry is similar though.

But, I'm kind of like you, the Raptor didn't blow me away when I first test drove it. I didn't do any 0-60 runs or anything, just got on it a bit here and there. I put the Raptor on the back burner, then circled back around to it after doing some research. After the first couple weeks of ownership, running 93 and lowering the tire pressure, I thought the truck was the best vehicle I'd driven, ever. After a year, I feel the same.

OP
OP
I

Iceman22

Reaction score
Thanks GCATX,

Your comments definitely having me thinking it’s been running on 87. I know they’ve had it on the floor plan for 104 days so I’m sure the dealership isn’t splurging for 93 in between test drives.

That being said it’s a little bit of a gamble to purchase hoping a couple weeks later I can right the ship with better fuel since no dealer in their right mind would let me return it if for whatever reason, I didn’t feel it “changed enough”

P.S.

Is there any way to permanently disable lane keep assist? I know I’ll get pounced on for this but I never use turn signals and I was having to actively fight the wheel on the highway. I was shocked and how much resistance it put up. My mother’s subaru just provides an audible chime. I had no idea some of these systems actually perform steering inputs

OP
OP
I

Iceman22

Reaction score
Understand your point of view and figured that would be the first response. However there’s certain reasons I prefer not to have the system on.

Was hoping someone could shed light if there was hack. Didn’t know if there was a fuse I could pull? Cover a sensor with tape? Or even a program I could purchase?