2017+ performance question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I was on the freeway the other day next to an older Chevy 2500 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed. He had the huge diameter stock exhaust pipe exiting behind right rear tire. I was going to pass him with no drama but when I got next to him he floored it. Big puff of black smoke out his tailpipe when he floored it. I wasn't ready. I could only get half car length ahead of him until he got stuck in traffic. Then 5 miles up he comes up beside me again. This time open road and I was ready in Sport Mode. Same results. I think he had the big GM Turbo Diesel maybe with a tune? Raptor nearly beat by a Chevy Diesel???!

I thought my Raptor would have easily pulled past him. Nope! It seems there's not much grunt left in the 3.5 Turbo after 4,000 RPM at 50 MPH+ acceleration. My 2017 SCREW is stock except for a CAI. Will exhaust and tune help with high RPM power boost? Sport mode has no effect that I can feel on acceleration at 50 MPH and high RPMs. Im running 91 Octane (10 Ethanol) gas. I have not seen 93 here. I'm running mud tires which doesnt help.

The Gen 2 Raptor off the line and at lower RPM is definetely fantastic compared to other stock trucks and even basic Muscle Cars. Our 4.10 gears help with off the line acceleration too.

Diesels can crank out over 100 extra hp with a handheld tuner. Custom tunes and twin turbos, who knows. Don't mess around with them.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Butt syno is the problem. With all the other amazing things the truck does that aren't even available on the Chevy I'm a bit surprised that your uncalibrated butt dyno weighs so heavily in your decision. The HP and TQ numbers don't lie....it's better than Chevy. It's a truck not a race car and I think if you did a head to head drag race you'd see the difference...unlikely you'll be able to do that so my advice is buy the truck you like best ignoring the butt dyno...fill it with 93 octane top tier fuel and don't look back regardless what brand you choose. My only bias would be to remember that Chevy sucked off the American taxpayer multiple times to stay in business then laid off workers where Ford is the only American auto company to stand on it's own for their entire history. Don't reward bad behavior but that's a personal choice.

dmpizzi

Reaction score
The chevy 6.2s are no slouch. Honestly, I wouldn't expect the 3.5TT to feel that much quicker. Regardless the 3.5 H.O. is still quicker then the 6.2L.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Find some whoops or rough off-road then see how fast and smooth the Chevy is. Hahaha. Be careful of trees and or ditches if you’re in the Chevy.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your first priority is 'what's fastest' for a pickup, a stock Raptor is not it. Too much weight.

If you want to go off road fast in a stock vehicle, a Raptor is the answer, every time.

OP
OP
I

Iceman22

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Really appreciate all of the responses! Clearly a good group of people :)

I’ll be sure to go for a second test drive sometime soon with all of your responses in mind.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone aftermarket come out with any kind of tuning for torque management and shift patterns? In the GM world we have black bear performance which was great for waking the truck up:

By no means am I looking for a race car, but I do enjoy having a little fun in the Daily driver when I can’t take the toy out of the garage

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Really appreciate all of the responses! Clearly a good group of people :)

I’ll be sure to go for a second test drive sometime soon with all of your responses in mind.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone aftermarket come out with any kind of tuning for torque management and shift patterns? In the GM world we have black bear performance which was great for waking the truck up:

By no means am I looking for a race car, but I do enjoy having a little fun in the Daily driver when I can’t take the toy out of the garage
I went with a Cobb Accessport and a custom tune from @goosetuned. It’s impressive, transmission tune still under development.

jcomar1

Reaction score
I felt like my '18 Raptor wasn't all that quick until I installed the MPT Tune. HUGE difference!