2017 ford raptor parasitic draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronald16

Reaction score
I been having problems with raptor. It has a parasitic draw on it and the mechanic shop can't find the problem. If I don't drive the truck and leave it sitting for around 6-8 hours the battery will die. I notice it has a recall for the block heater(18s45) saying that "water and contaminants can intrude into the block heater wire assembly that may result in a resistive short. While the vehicle is parked and block heater cord is plugged in, a resistive short may increase the risk of overheated or melted wiring, and/or fire" does anyone has dealt with the same problem? My truck has been at the shop for almost two months, and it's getting stressful and really annoying not having a car. Please help any information would be appreciated! Oh and I bought it two months ago used as is. I only enjoyed it ford a week. No aftermarket stuff in it. And I haven't taken it to the dealership because they are so behind, my appointment is a month away.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230411_181925_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230411_181925_Chrome.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 7

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF
Pics or it’s a prius.

It’s totally stock, do you have maintenance records or do you know if previous owner(s) may have used FORSCAN ?

It allows you to change a lot of configurations settings - daytime running lights are common, Lincoln fold mirrors, etc. A few of these mods disable the battery management system (BMS).

have you checked the battery or replaced it?
There have been previously posters with a parasitic draw issue. The most infamous one I remember is a user whose truck SYNC system would awaken after going to sleep, caught on video by a pretty savvy Ford Tech who mounted a camera in the truck.

If you have a video cam, set it up on the truck, first on the outside, then inside to see if it’s “waking up”.

OP
OP
R

Ronald16

Reaction score
No i don’t have maintance records. And I don’t know who the previous owner was and if he used forscan.
The battery is brand new.
I have a ring battery camera maybe im gonna try that lol.
How was the sync waking up issue fixed? Do you know?

smurfslayer

Reaction score
it was definitely a module replacement. Get FORSCAN - free download- use search on here to dig up “Forscan changes tweak your truck” pick up an obd2 dongle and use any windows laptop. You can pull codes, clear codes, and if there are mods in forscan you can restore to “as built” if needed - though that last part is probably going to be faster for a service tech to perform.

There’s more functionality but really useful for us.

OP
OP
R

Ronald16

Reaction score
Thank you! I’ll try that. The shop already replaced the BCM, but still has the battery drain. Does that give you any ideas if it’s still a module replacement or not anymore ?
This is my raptor btw.
0465AC03-0757-401D-9511-2894D6D871C0.jpeg

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I’m definitely over my head already. @FordTechOne has forgotten more about Raptors than most of FRF knows. He may be able to provide some useful direction beyond the relatively crude ‘shade tree’ suggestions you’ll get from the rest of us.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would check the alternator and see if its charging the battery. also will need to reset the bms after replacing the battery otherwise it wont charge the new battery properly. you can check for current draw using a meter if you have one

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you! I’ll try that. The shop already replaced the BCM, but still has the battery drain. Does that give you any ideas if it’s still a module replacement or not anymore ?
This is my raptor btw.
The Indy shops always do. It’s the last module to power down, so when they pull fuses they think they found the cause.

The first thing to check for is aftermarket devices/wiring under the drivers side of the dash. Aftermarket alarm and remote start kits are often spliced into the factory wiring in this location. Also check the BCM in the passenger side kick panel for aftermarket wiring.

If the windshield has been replaced, or if you have a pano roof and the drains are clogged, water can drip down the A-Pillar and damage the BCM and harnesses. They replaced the BCM, but if the harness connectors are corroded and/or have water intrusion, the current draw will still occur.

Before any other parts are replaced, verify that the PRNDL indicator in the IPC is not remaining illuminated aft the truck is shut off and the doors are closed. If it stays on, that indicates it’s not receiving the Park signal from the shifter. That will keep the IPC powered up, resulting in a battery drain.

Another area to inspect is the inline connectors located under the bed and rear bumper. If there is water or corrosion in any of those connectors, voltage can short between pins and keep multiple vehicle systems powered up.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
That is a pretty long and involved list.

How does one actually test that a module or modules are remaining up, once the truck is ‘shut down’ ?

Bigt3141

Reaction score
My parasitic draw was from the APIM, I pulled fuses until the amps dropped 4 to 0 and it was my radio fuses that did it. I took it in for warranty repair and they further isolated it to the APIM.