Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

2017 - Blown engine - 42k miles

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by AlexBuilt, Nov 10, 2019.

1. AlexBuilt

AlexBuilt Member

Hey fellas, new to this forum, currently have a 2017 supercab with 42k miles...

Went to go rip the raptor around in the desert today, all of a sudden I lost all power from the petal, check engine light comes on, and motor dies.

(I was in 8th gear doing 55-60mph cruising in Baja mode down some dirt road in 2wd) Wasn't even going hard on the truck AT ALL. Was just cruising around enjoying the nice 50 degree weather.

Pulled over immediately as the motor had died. Light smoke coming from out of the hood so I popped it... Hotter than a meth pipe on payday. Nearly took my damn eyebrows off, kid you not. Smelt like straight burning plastic. All my gauges were FINE. No signs of overheating.

Waited about 10 minutes, tried to start it. Just cranking over and over and over and over (VIDEO 1). One of the times it started, was idling at about 400RPMS sounding like it had a cam from another planet. Was so bad the whole truck was vibrating like hell, so I killed it.

I tried every 10ish minutes for about an hour until finally this happened.... (Video Two BELOW)

It began to idle correctly after the video cut out. Then truck ran perfect. Was absolutely beating it to shreds doing 80+ trying to get back to cell service. Every time I would come to a stop... Nasty metal on metal sound and big lag in power. Felt like I had to push the petal 1/3 of the way down to even get rolling to 20MPH then it would be fine.

got it home and threw it on my lift in my garage and walked around underneath... no signs of any leakage or damage visible.

VIDEO #1

VIDEO #2

Anyone else ever seen something like this with another gen 2?! Dropping it off at Ford when they open back up Tuesday as this should and will be warranty work.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    traxem likes this.
  2. f150jack

f150jack Full Access Member

check the oil level?

3. AlexBuilt

AlexBuilt Member

Oil is fine, coolant also, check both when cooled down after I got to my place.
    Also oil always changed every 5-7k miles since I bought it new.

4. cwylie

cwylie Full Access Member

Should still be under the 60k warranty. Take that thing into the dealer.

SVTWillis and Richard Hinsley like this.
  5. Richard Hinsley

Richard Hinsley Full Access Member

I've heard of this happening a few times from people on here. Good luck and get it to the dealer ASAP. Same situation too, not beating on it.

6. Remoat

Remoat FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Plugs still where theyre supposed to be? No noises before it failed?

7. AlexBuilt

AlexBuilt Member

Nope. Nothing. Out of the blue! It’s at dealership now...

8. Frank N

Frank N FRF Addict

Whoa...Subscribed for the dealer findings...

9. Hawaiian Time

Hawaiian Time Full Access Member

Please let us know what it was after fixed. Did you notice if you were still getting any Turbo Boost PSI on the gauge on your way home?

Aloha, HT

10. priest880

priest880 Member

Ohh my goodness let us know what they say when it’s all done. Good luck broski