2014 Raptor Roush Roush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Paul Keller

Reaction score
Looked for the sticker yesterday - no such sticker exists on either the driver's or passenger's side door, and no other badging exists so I don't think it was done at Roush. There is the sticker above the control module from Roush noting the tuning parameters are proprietary and should not be reverse engineered.

If it's just a matter of octane that would be great!

IMG_20200720_160553607.jpg

IMG_20200720_160614757.jpg

IMG_20200720_160120503.jpg

IMG_20200720_160417260.jpg

11085.jpeg

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Please don't think I am coming down on you in this post, I intend in no way to be mean, just protective.

It is clear you lack the mechanical skills to tell if there is something really wrong with this truck. It could be just a tune, but it could be a myriad of other things some of which can be very expensive. None of us forum jockeys can tell from behind the monitor. If you cannot get someone who is very mechanically competent to come and inspect the truck with you do not take the gamble. There are plenty of trucks out there. What happens when you get it tuned and it still doesn't run well?

Even with the standard Roush tune in that truck it should be pretty quick, much faster than what your describing. Get help or leave it for someone else.

OP
OP
P

Paul Keller

Reaction score
No offense taken, and I do not intend to make a decision before I get a qualified 3rd party inspection.

I've been working on cars and trucks for 40 years including rebuilding a 351C for my 69 Mach1 (that was an aweful long time ago!) I had never driven a Raptor before, but I knew enough to know something is missing from this one - like a whole heard of horses.

The selling dealer sent the truck over to to the original Ford Dealer, which happened to be nearby since the BMW mechanic also thought something was off. Once they get through with it, depending on what they say I have arranged for a check out at an authorized Roush dealer about an hour away, at my expense. If that doesn't work out, I'll let it go

OP
OP
P

Paul Keller

Reaction score
I drove another Gen1 Raptor today, not modified and damn! Power was sweet, better than I expected, and no question there is something up with that Roush: I'd say it had 100 less HP than stock for a comparison. On top of that the transmission felt like I'd expect, whereas the Raptor with the Roush was quick to downshift and make a lot of noise without any extra pull. I also drove a gen1 at a dealer next door - different feel, and also sweet. One thing I'm sure of I'm getting a Raptor, but maybe not the one I first looked at.

OP
OP
P

Paul Keller

Reaction score
Selling Dealer called me back today and said the Ford Dealer found two bad coils. These are being replaced today and they should get the truck back tomorrow. I'm too curious now to see if that fixes it, and I can't pass up the opportunity to at least take it out for a drive.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Selling Dealer called me back today and said the Ford Dealer found two bad coils. These are being replaced today and they should get the truck back tomorrow. I'm too curious now to see if that fixes it, and I can't pass up the opportunity to at least take it out for a drive.
That's great news, hope it shreds the tires now.