2014 Raptor Roush Roush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Keller

Reaction score
Hey all, I just found a '14 Raptor Supercab at a dealer which has a Roush kit installed. The truck is absolutely beautiful inside and out, with very low mileage. I actually wasn't aware a Roush kit was installed until after I took it out for about 30 minutes, then looked under the hood. Here's the issue: the exhaust sounds cool but the truck is sluggish - definitely not 'tire shredding' power. It actually doesn't feel any faster than my brother's Superduty 6.2L. Even at steady highway speed I feel a subtle high frequency hesitation (for lack of a better word). I initially chalked that up to just the feel of the stiff springs, but it seems like a power issue. I don't want to let this vehicle go; any suggestions as to what might be wrong or how to diagnose it? It's not a Ford dealer and they just took it on trade, but they seem very reasonable.

Thanks,

IMG_20200720_160120503.jpg

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 2014 Supercab with a WHIPPLE Supercharger done at the Shelby factory with Shelby Tune and upgrades,55K on it and its the fastest vehicle I ever drove.....
How many miles on it..? Not an expert but might just need a good tune-up with new Plugs...maybe fuel filter....and I know alot has to do with computer chips,etc....
My suggestion if you really love it,do like I did,bring it to an Independent Shop/NOT FORD/and dont believe the dealer your buying it from.Find your own shop to do it....and have them do a PPI inspection on it....it will set you back $75-$125 depending on the shop..they will plug it in and find out if the truck threw any Codes in past and what it might need....
Its cheap peace of mind when thinking of spending big bucks....!
I bought mine 1100 miles away and never drove it,had it transported out...I found a shop and owner brought it to them for me.
It got a 99.9% out of 100 when they did the PPI and I have never looked back..LOVE IT!!
Good luck..!

OP
OP
P

Paul Keller

Reaction score
Thanks. This truck has only 45K on it. Thanks for the reply; I'll definitely have it checked out by an independent shop. This dealer just got the vehicle in and hasn't had it in their shop for check out yet, which they plan to do tomorrow. I talked with the dealer who originally received the truck and they said it might be carbon build up in the fuel rail or fouled injectors, but it may also be possible someone overwrote the Roush tuning parameters.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems odd that it felt like a stock 6.2L, the SC wakes these engines up.
A good tune will make it drive just as easy as a stock one, until you mash the loud peddle. When you do that, there is no way it feels the same. Mine will roast the 37's through 40mph

I would go take it for another spin, there should be a boost gauge in on the drivers side air vent. Take it for a drive and see what that gauge does. Then if you can, mash the throttle once you are already moving over 20-30mph. It should accelerate hard. Anything under 20 and you will light up the rear tires and get bad wheel hop.

BTW, a Factory Roush SuperCab is a pretty rare find.

robbys3m3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roush supercab...cool! I agree on a good tune. I finally got my 6.2 with a whipple tuned well and it made a huge difference

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tune is probably crap. Is there a handheld tuner in there?
Maybe the dealer filled it with 87 and the tune is pulling timing?

I had a JDM tuned roush supercab and it would haul butt when you got into boost. Not stupid fast, but fast for a truck on 35's.

OP
OP
P

Paul Keller

Reaction score
Wondered about low Octane gas but figured it would knock - didn't consider that the control module may try to compensate. I found a Roush authorized dealer an hour away, recommended to me by Roush Technical support. If the selling dealer agrees I'm going to take it down there to check it out. Technical service guy also warned that if it has heavily modified exhaust or long tube headers, the standard Roush parameters may not be sufficient. Didn't think to scrutinise the exhaust but it was loud when you get on it.

Also, I don't believe this is technically a Roush Raptor as there is no badging, nothing on the driver's side or passengers side door indicating modified by Roush. It looks like one of the previous two owners had the kit installed

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Couple of things..
Fuel, it likes/needs 91-93 to run good. The ECM will control knock and detonation to a certain extent by pulling timing out.
Before taking it to a Roush dealer, look to see if you can get it in to Jim at JDM in NJ instead.
The Roush tune is absolute garbage anyway...lol
@JimIII@JDM
https://www.teamjdm.com/raptor/

If it was done at Roush, it will have a Roush sticker inside the door jam with a Roush specific Vin #rap8.jpg

Last edited: