2014 94k Mile SCREW for $35k...Buy or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at a 2014 94k mile SCREW for $35k OTD. It is fully loaded with all options. Does not have records other than the Carfax which is a joke. It lists 4 owners - one of the concerns.

Physical Inspection by self and full inspection by personal mechanic reveals good quality; computer looks great, no evidence of hard abuse, all gaps equal, skid plate like new, bump stops good, interior in goo to great shape. Feels good on the road as far as drive and shifting although I haven’t driven any Raptors before. Tested around town for an hour and 20 min on highway.

It will need new brakes very soon and tires shortly after that. No documents about shocks being rebuilt, would be able to get those refurbed for 1k labor included. Will need 100k tune up as well. Estimated 2-3k in needs before/after purchase.

Friends says no way, personal mechanic says this is a good get, if it’s what you really want. Used dealer asking 34k, offered 32k OTD due to repairs needed. They countered with 35k OTD. They wouldn’t budge so I walked.

Bottom Line
Is $35k OTD plus the 2-3k in needs it has worth it to have a Gen 1 6.2L with this many miles or am I crazy to think this truck could be a good long term choice. Not planning on selling, want to keep for posterity.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If its a color/option combo you like go for it, if not wait for the one you want. There are lower mile trucks available. The price seems alright and like you said all the mechanical problems can be fixed.

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the pricing in your area as it varies by regions. I bought a 2012 fully loaded with 73K miles for $35,000 OTD last August as a private party sale I avoided the sales tax. (No Sales tax on Private Party used Vehicle sales in NV.) So for a 14 with a few more miles on it i wouldn't feel bad paying that price. Will this be a Daily Driver and how far do you drive would be a question I would ask myself. Mine had a few more miles than I wanted but had lots of upgrades.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a color option I want @B E N.

@Buzzard2 I’m in middle of IL. This will be a daily driver. I usually only do 10-20 city miles at most each day. I would use it for trips with the kids, dog, wife as long as it’s not to Chicago.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I traded my 14 last November to dealer for 36k with 61k on od. SVC Baja front and rear bumpers, Geiser springs, afe intake, and new duratracs.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the price isn’t off if it were 100%, but it does need some work and the lot says they won’t go below 35k even with those needs. ‍♂️

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the question is how long are you willing to look? There is always a better deal out there somewhere might be next week or might be next year when you find it. If your going to finance it see if they will do the brakes and 100K tuneup at a discounted cost added to the sales price saves you some out of pocket cash. You could then do tires and the shocks down the road. I am out west so I don't know your market, personally I don't think the 35K OTD is out of line. The mileage is a little high but the motor will probably outlast the body where your located. I am assuming rust is a issue in IL?

Just to be clear the OTD price is all in, Sales tax, doc fee's and all the BS charges dealers throw on.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3A1D596D-1A17-4A6C-B42D-AFA1AE2E8E7A.jpeg Picture’s worth a thousand words right?

@Buzzard2 Rust is an issue for sure and OTD is all included but in this case they aren’t going to fix/replace anything at 35k OTD.

I am willing to look as long as it takes for me to find exactly what I want, hence the dilemma: this is exactly what I want as far as price/color/options.

I just have a hitch in my giddy up about going back and saying yes to this dealer when it does need some things. I could wait but this is exactly what I’m looking for and I am able to poke and prod it without having to travel 100s-1k miles just to see if one is a go.

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 125584 Picture’s worth a thousand words right?

@Buzzard2 Rust is an issue for sure and OTD is all included but in this case they aren’t going to fix/replace anything at 35k OTD.

I am willing to look as long as it takes for me to find exactly what I want, hence the dilemma: this is exactly what I want as far as price/color/options.

I just have a hitch in my giddy up about going back and saying yes to this dealer when it does need some things. I could wait but this is exactly what I’m looking for and I am able to poke and prod it without having to travel 100s-1k miles just to see if one is a go.

Nice looking truck, I realize they won't throw in the brakes and tune up I was thinking you could have those done by the dealer and add the cost into the truck and pay $36K instead of $35K or whatever the price of the repairs is and you would not have to pay that out of pocket right after you bought it. I understand you would have to pay interest on the extra portion financed.

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious if you know what all the fee's and taxes come to? You are probably buying the truck for around $32,000 which is a pretty good deal I think.