2013 SCREW leaking oil -- Help!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jadanf

Reaction score
I searched the forum to see if there were any similar threads to the question I'm about to ask..

I took my truck in to my local Ford dealer to have the oil changed on Wednesday. I have 4022 miles on the truck, but I am towing my new boat to Lake Powell this weekend to meet my family for a family vacation. So I thought -- better get the oil changed and serviced.

Tonight I notice some oil spots in my garage when I'm pulling my truck into its spot, so immediately I get a little anxious and check it out.

I crawled under the truck and there was a brown milky, low viscosity oil all over my skid plate and dripping from the front end.

Any ideas what this could be? I plan to take the truck in first thing in the morning, but it would ease my mind to know what to expect.

Thanks

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First thing you should do is check your oil level in your truck.

If it's filled then my guess is the dealership did a lousy job of changing the oil and filter and either got lazy and didn't clean up after themselves or they didn't change it properly meaning it was a messier than normal O&F change and they didn't clean it up.

iHaveGas

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like it but I know I thought I had an oil leak but come to find out it was power steering leak.

Just take it back to the dealership.

Nitrous Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing you should do is check your oil level in your truck.

If it's filled then my guess is the dealership did a lousy job of changing the oil and filter and either got lazy and didn't clean up after themselves or they didn't change it properly meaning it was a messier than normal O&F change and they didn't clean it up.

This ^^^

When I got my first oil change on my Raptor at the dealership, they left oil on the skidplate and my hood wasn't shut all the way. Luckily I noticed the hood before I took off down the road. Always check it out before leaving the dealership and make them fix it if isn't right.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When changing the oil the skid plate should be removed or it will drip oil when you leave. Common for this to happen---take a good look under and use a bright flashlight to help.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess, a hopeful one, is that when they changed your oil, the skid was not dropped and oil leaked onto the skid and is gradually leaking off the skid. I would also check farther back on the truck for any oil that might have been blown off the skid.

Had this happen to me, where the dealer did not drop the skid...Needles to say I was not happy. They were to lazy to remove four bolts!

drop the skid clean it off and see if more appears.

Better yet take it back and let the dealer clean up their mess!

OP
OP
J

jadanf

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses -- I took the truck back this morning to the dealer after I had climbed all over it to determine where it could be leaking from (my thoughts were oil cooler or possibly power steering fluid).. Sure enough, they had just done a sh*tty job of changing the oil and made a mess.

I thought for sure, there was way too much oil for it to be a simply an oversight and that something had failed, but I guess I overestimated the service techs at my dealership.

All in all, I'll take the mess over a leak!

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad it was just a lazy tech...I hope they cleaned it up to your satisfaction and offered you something for your time a inconveiance.