2013 Raptor would not start - fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
grab a couple extra fuses and bring to TRR for those in need...

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did put the engine to use this month + it was pretty dusty under there. @Yukon Joe was your fuse box pretty dusty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

at 20 degrees out, I wasn't looking for dust, hahaha...
yup, exact same thing happened to my truck. I wish I would have know to check the fuse, it would have saved me a lot of heartache. My truck would cool down enough, that it would make contact. Then I'd run it for a bit, and it would get hot and the melted fuse would brake connection and stall out. Then wouldn't start until it was cool again.

Where you running AUX4 at the time that it cut out? Did you run AUX4 before you had parked it last time?

I think mine has to do with an aftermarket 10 amp fuse that I used in the Aux 4 location, fuse 28. It had larger (thicker) fingers than the stock mini fuses and cause some possible cross arcing. I was funning AUX4 the whole time, those are my rear facing ambers.

I think this is the same thing that happened to @Yukon Joe at the Snowball this year.

I have a theory that it wouldn't happen if the ears weren't sprung causing and intermittent arc. I think Joe had his fuse box replaced.

I was going to get the fuse box replaced under warranty, but came to the conclusion with the dealer, that the fix that the dealer did in Escanaba, MI was sufficient. To replace the fuse box, is to replace the wire harness on both sides of the truck. This includes locations like Horn, head light, Aux switches, many of the places where I've spliced in. The dealer was afraid that after he did the work, that Ford would eventually denie the claim. He has a done a lot of good work for me, and I trust what he was telling me. So we decided to keep it the way it was.

I did ask him to check the fuel meter or fuel regulator (not sure of the proper name right now) that is mounted under the truck. He checked the voltage and ground on it and it was ok.

So in the end, I'm not 100% sure what caused the issue. And as you can tell by the other thread regarding this issue, the other guys who had it happen to them don't really know either. There is some speculation as to the cause, but nothing definite.

OP
OP
BearLeeAsian

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
at 20 degrees out, I wasn't looking for dust, hahaha...

yup, exact same thing happened to my truck. I wish I would have know to check the fuse, it would have saved me a lot of heartache. My truck would cool down enough, that it would make contact. Then I'd run it for a bit, and it would get hot and the melted fuse would brake connection and stall out. Then wouldn't start until it was cool again.

Where you running AUX4 at the time that it cut out? Did you run AUX4 before you had parked it last time?

I think mine has to do with an aftermarket 10 amp fuse that I used in the Aux 4 location, fuse 28. It had larger (thicker) fingers than the stock mini fuses and cause some possible cross arcing. I was funning AUX4 the whole time, those are my rear facing ambers.

I was going to get the fuse box replaced under warranty, but came to the conclusion with the dealer, that the fix that the dealer did in Escanaba, MI was sufficient. To replace the fuse box, is to replace the wire harness on both sides of the truck. This includes locations like Horn, head light, Aux switches, many of the places where I've spliced in. The dealer was afraid that after he did the work, that Ford would eventually denie the claim. He has a done a lot of good work for me, and I trust what he was telling me. So we decided to keep it the way it was.

I did ask him to check the fuel meter or fuel regulator (not sure of the proper name right now) that is mounted under the truck. He checked the voltage and ground on it and it was ok.

So in the end, I'm not 100% sure what caused the issue. And as you can tell by the other thread regarding this issue, the other guys who had it happen to them don't really know either. There is some speculation as to the cause, but nothing definite.

Was not running aux 4 any time before that. I now have spare fuses in the truck. Not going to let a 75 cent fuse keep me stuck somewhere anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BagdHoe

Reaction score
Same exact thing happen to my 2013 last night. I was stranded waiting on a tow truck when I saw this thread. I had to pull the 15 AMP fuse from the rear view mirror and got it home. My fuse was burnt and broken like BearLeeAsian picture.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Me too... It happened to me while playing tennis with some friends. Had to run to autozone. Didn't even think of getting another fuse to go there. Crap...

BagdHoe

Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen more than once? Any rhyme or reason why this happens?

I haven't changed anything on my truck to think it would cause this issue. Oil change 2 weeks ago is the only thing been done to my truck in the past month or so.