18 Trans Reflash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have an 18 that was built in May of 18. Would it have the latest trans flash update to help with smoother shifting? Sorry if this has been posted somewhere.

Appreciate the feedback!

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe you're right on that cut-off period. But it's pretty easy to tell if you need it or not. Drive around in sport mode on regular city streets. If the shifts feel like you're going to snap the drive shaft, you need it flashed.

If you do need it, you'll want to print out the TSB (which has the specified build dates on there) to bring it into the dealers. Most of them will have no idea what you're talking about.

OP
OP
David1986

David1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you're right on that cut-off period. But it's pretty easy to tell if you need it or not. Drive around in sport mode on regular city streets. If the shifts feel like you're going to snap the drive shaft, you need it flashed.

If you do need it, you'll want to print out the TSB (which has the specified build dates on there) to bring it into the dealers. Most of them will have no idea what you're talking about.

Thank you!

docskeet1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I’m having mine done tomorrow. When I spoke with the dealer they had no idea what I was talking about. I provided them with a copy of the TSB. They say it may take them three hours to perform. This makes me a little nervous since I know FORScan changes only take a few minutes. Wish me luck.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m having mine done tomorrow. When I spoke with the dealer they had no idea what I was talking about. I provided them with a copy of the TSB. They say it may take them three hours to perform. This makes me a little nervous since I know FORScan changes only take a few minutes. Wish me luck.

My dealers service bay is usually pretty busy and I also hate waiting. I just dropped mine off in the morning, got a loaner and went back at the end of the day to pick it up. The nice thing about having Ford ESP is it includes loaners so I don't mind giving them ample time to do what they need to do vs rushing a job and messing something up.

docskeet1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m pleased to say shifting in Sport mode seems much better. It’s well worth doing this IMHO if the TSB applies to your truck.

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my 17 updated and it's very smooth now. Huge inprovment.

greenraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Your service department must’ve meant 3 hours to fit you in to do an 18 min job. If you look at the TSB it says it takes 0.3 hours (18 minutes). Either way, glad to hear it’s working out well for you. I had it done to my truck (built March 2nd 2018) and it also made a noticeable improvement.

baugustine

Reaction score
Reflash on a TCM is about 10 mins with FDRS. That does not mean you are in and out in 10; Dealer service departments are not Jiffy Lubes and do not have 20 minute drive through. Tickets are dispatched based on appointments, tech availability and bay availability. Plan on a minimum of an hour if you have an appointment and plan to wait while it’s done.