17 transmission slipping after up to temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2019 scott

Reaction score
Could they have overfilled it with fluid? That would explain it blowing out the vent and also if trans. fluid level is too high it gets up into rotating parts and makes it foam up and that will cause issues.

OP
OP
scary gary

scary gary

Reaction score
Could they have overfilled it with fluid? That would explain it blowing out the vent and also if trans. fluid level is too high it gets up into rotating parts and makes it foam up and that will cause issues.
yes so 3 weeks ago they serviced the trans then this all started to happen.
They told me it probably happens because of an over fill. They then had the truck 2 days and sent it home with me to do it again. So they must not have properly checked the fluid level again?

OP
OP
scary gary

scary gary

Reaction score
So the dealer changed your transmission fluid, and now it’s venting when it gets hot? Did they change the filter as well?
So actually receipt does not state filter sorry.
It says 12 xt 10 QLVC oil and trans flush kit.

do you think it was just over filled and still over filled after they inspected it already?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne Does FoMoCo have a position of trans flushes for the 10R80?

Never a fan myself of the process.

Not recommended. Flushing can dislodge debris from the filter/pan and contaminate the valve body, leading to sticking valves and transmission damage. Here's Ford's published position:

SYSTEM FLUSHES vs. FLUID EXCHANGE The following should be understood related to the topic of engine, transmission, steering and fuel system fluid flushing services:
▪ Demonstrating to a customer that specific fluids should be changed because of a change in their color is a misleading practice. Darkening of many fluids is normal in most cases.
▪ If flushing is required in conjunction with a transmission component repair, the dealership should perform a transmission fluid exchange with only the recommended transmission fluid. Use of chemical transmission flushes can damage the vehicle's transmission.
▪ Utilizing fluid exchange equipment is acceptable as long as Ford approved fluids are used.
▪ Fuel injection and diesel Exhaust Gas Recirculation system flushing is not considered scheduled maintenance by Ford Motor Company. Should the fuel injection system require cleaning to resolve a specific condition, chemicals meeting Ford requirements are recommended, such as Motorcraft Premium Fuel Injector Cleaner, Motorcraft Pressurized Injector Cleaner or Motorcraft Power Flush Injector Fluid.
▪ Ford Motor Company does not recommend flushing of Power Steering Fluid.
▪ Engine oil system flushing is not a Ford Motor Company approved maintenance procedure and is considered an unnecessary expense to your customers. If it is determined that internal engine cleaning is needed, replace the Motorcraft engine oil and filter with owner’s manual specified products. Use of chemical/crankcase flushes can damage the vehicle's engine.
▪ Dealers should reference the scheduled maintenance guide and workshop manual when determining which fluids need exchanging.

D

Deleted member 17706

Not recommended. Flushing can dislodge debris from the filter/pan and contaminate the valve body, leading to sticking valves and transmission damage.

^^^ What he said! I don’t know why dealerships do this to people. Many will tell you that the tranny fluid/filter doesn’t need to be changed because it is good for the life of the vehicle. If they do happen to recommend servicing your transmission, they don’t want to do it the proper way and pull the pan and filter. Instead they want to do the expedient way that has the potential to ruin your transmission. This is exactly why servicing your transmission has a bad reputation because transmissions often don’t function correctly after they get flushed.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
^^^ What he said! I don’t know why dealerships do this to people. Many will tell you that the tranny fluid/filter doesn’t need to be changed because it is good for the life of the vehicle. If they do happen to recommend servicing your transmission, they don’t want to do it the proper way and pull the pan and filter. Instead they want to do the expedient way that has the potential to ruin your transmission. This is exactly why servicing your transmission has a bad reputation because transmissions often don’t function correctly after they get flushed.
This us what happened to my 07 right after a flush, all clutch packs failed. I will never again flush my transmission. When I picked up my truck and drive it back to California it was overfilled some how and vented all over the underside of the truck (and probably every car behind me for 300 miles) I took it in and they drained it to correct fluid levels. It never ****** or exhibited any odd shifting behavior.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not recommended. Flushing can dislodge debris from the filter/pan and contaminate the valve body, leading to sticking valves and transmission damage. Here's Ford's published position:

SYSTEM FLUSHES vs. FLUID EXCHANGE The following should be understood related to the topic of engine, transmission, steering and fuel system fluid flushing services:
▪ Demonstrating to a customer that specific fluids should be changed because of a change in their color is a misleading practice. Darkening of many fluids is normal in most cases.
▪ If flushing is required in conjunction with a transmission component repair, the dealership should perform a transmission fluid exchange with only the recommended transmission fluid. Use of chemical transmission flushes can damage the vehicle's transmission.
▪ Utilizing fluid exchange equipment is acceptable as long as Ford approved fluids are used.
▪ Fuel injection and diesel Exhaust Gas Recirculation system flushing is not considered scheduled maintenance by Ford Motor Company. Should the fuel injection system require cleaning to resolve a specific condition, chemicals meeting Ford requirements are recommended, such as Motorcraft Premium Fuel Injector Cleaner, Motorcraft Pressurized Injector Cleaner or Motorcraft Power Flush Injector Fluid.
▪ Ford Motor Company does not recommend flushing of Power Steering Fluid.
▪ Engine oil system flushing is not a Ford Motor Company approved maintenance procedure and is considered an unnecessary expense to your customers. If it is determined that internal engine cleaning is needed, replace the Motorcraft engine oil and filter with owner’s manual specified products. Use of chemical/crankcase flushes can damage the vehicle's engine.
▪ Dealers should reference the scheduled maintenance guide and workshop manual when determining which fluids need exchanging.

Not surprised, there you go folks...

thanks!

Steve Parker

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Sorry if this has been brought up but I couldn’t find anything that was similar in the search.
I have 2017 well 3 weeks ago my dealer did a full service. Last weekend on a long drive it made a clunk sound, felt like I rear ended a car. And start to slip in gear and occasionally jam into gear really hard. The dash was showing I was in 1st gear doing 70 mph, Smoke poured out the back end and the bottom of the truck was covered in transmission fluid. Just picked the truck up 2 days ago and after driving for an hour it’s doing the samething, slipping and jamming into gear. If I stop for 20 min it will then drive with no problems for a period of time then act up again. Fluid all over the bottom again definitely not as much as last time. Well when I picked it up 2 days ago they said when they serviced it they over filled it. But why is it happening again? Any one have similar issues and can help point me in the right direction as ford can’t do much unless they can get the truck to Duplicate the issue while on the test drive and it seems to only happen after the hour or so drive time.