17 Tranny issues and question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as I thought my wife all over my poor grammar in my original post. Yup, she was also laughing her ass off with all of the "tranny" comments too. Anyways, I went to the dealer yesterday to get my sons 17 F150 that had a oil pan leak and when I asked about my truck I was told that Ford is now involved and is having them troubleshoot it. They think it's a cooling issue because it has no issues until you add the trailer and then the tranny gets hot and starts pushing fluid out of the overflow. They've got no idea when I'll get it back. I'm still not buying it because my truck hasn't skipped a beat in 35K miles and then they flushed the "tranny" and then all of the sudden it's running hot and pushing fluid out all over the underneath of my track and the front of my trailer. It's totally fine without the trailer because they drove it quite a bit before putting my trailer on and then it didn't make it 15mins down the highway before the tranny temp shot up to over 200 and the tech had to immediately turn around limp back to the dealership.

T

teeoster

I had the same issue with my 17 pulling a 7500 lb(loaded) toy hauler. Temps shot through the roof after 100 miles, it started slamming gears and poured trans fluid out all over the highway. We were left stranded on I-75 until the wrecker came for the 17 and my daughter rescued me with my trusty Gen1.

The truck was taken to Lafaontain Ford in Birch Run Michigan. They test drove it for 3 days and said they could find nothing wrong with it. Only that the trans fluid was "at the perfect level so it must have been overfilled when another dealer did a roll pin recall."

I find it amazing how smart the engineers must have been that designed this transmission to get it to vomit the exact amount of fluid out when it accidentally gets overfilled. I guess that's what you get when GM and Ford collaborate on things together.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, it does seem basically fine now. I have an appointment in 2 weeks at my local dealer. I was contemplating getting a fluid analysis done on the trans fluid and having the results ready for the appointment.

Does anyone have any other suggestions besides keeping the Gen 1 around as a spare:) ???
View media item 14243View media item 14244View media item 14245View media item 14246

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This a bit long so please bare with me and I definitely need someone's help.

So I brought my 17 to the dealer for an oil change and sway arm bushings and I figured while it was there seeing as mine is one of 17s that has the weird jerky shifting just in the morning and for only like a mile that I'd have them update the shifting codes via the TSB that came out last yr I think.

I know that I talk fast because my wife tells me this all the time and I get that he may have misunderstood me when I asked him to flash the ECU for the update. I know he understood me because of the way the convo went after we spoke about it.

So I picked my truck later that day and he went over everything that they did and he mentioned that they flushed my tranny per my request and I said I NEVER asked you to do that and why wouldn't just ask me when we were talking about flashing the ECU for the updated shift strategy codes.

I drove the truck home and it was fine for the next cpl of days until I hooked up my trailer and headed to the MX races on that Sunday morning. I made about 1 hr into a 2 hr drive and my truck started shifting really oddly and very hard. I glanced in the side mirror and saw that I was leaving a trail of smoke so I slowed down and nursed it to a truck stop a few miles further. I got out and looked under the truck and it was covered with tranny fluid and so was the front of my trailer. I ended up turning around and limping home with it driving 55 the whole way and I got home without an issue.

I brought it the next morning and of course they were all apologetic and said they'd get right on it. They called me a few hrs later and said that they couldn't find anything wrong other than it was down 2qts of fluid but they were going to keep it for the day for testing.

I picked it up at 5 and they said it was definitely a coincidence and had nothing to do with them flushing my tranny that has NEVER had an issue for 35K and they were adamant that it wasn't their fault. I drove it all week and it totally seemed fine until I went to the races again last weekend and I got roughly halfway there and it started doing the same thing with the very hard upshifts/downshifts and pushing tranny fluid out somewhere because it was all over the bottom of my truck again and the front of my trailer.

It's the same trailer that I had with my Gen1 and I pulled it to probably 75 races with my 17 without an issue. It's a 20 aluminum trailer that weighs 2800lbs and probably has another 1000lbs in it max on any given weekend.

I brought it back to them yesterday morning with the trailer attached so maybe they can figure out what the hell is going on.

Does anyone have any ideas and what could they have done wrong doing a tranny flush to cause this because I'm not buying that its just a coincidence.

Thanks for listening to my very long winded rant and please chime because this is a head scratcher and I'm Fn pissed.

Sorry man......huge long run on paragraphs are hard to read.

IMHO.....it is related and they did not do something right. You may have to pay for it, but I would take it to another dealer for them to look at it.

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my truck back late on Wednesday afternoon. They put a module and a valve body in it earlier that day and they drove it for a while without an issue and then they called and came and got my trailer they drove it for an hr on the highway and it didn't get hot or have any issues. I got back but I drove it for less than 50 miles before we left for vacation with our motorhome. I'd swear something is still wrong with it because you know how you know your truck and it feels to me like the tranny is thinking about what gear it wants to be in because it's jumping around quite a bit. It's not shifting hard or anything like that but it just doesn't feel right. I'm going to look into it more when we get home on Monday.

jvo5319

Reaction score
I got my truck back late on Wednesday afternoon. They put a module and a valve body in it earlier that day and they drove it for a while without an issue and then they called and came and got my trailer they drove it for an hr on the highway and it didn't get hot or have any issues. I got back but I drove it for less than 50 miles before we left for vacation with our motorhome. I'd swear something is still wrong with it because you know how you know your truck and it feels to me like the tranny is thinking about what gear it wants to be in because it's jumping around quite a bit. It's not shifting hard or anything like that but it just doesn't feel right. I'm going to look into it more when we get home on Monday.
might be time to look into trading it in for a 19