'17 SCAB to '19 SCREW?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to go to Texas to get a deal and the base scab that I wanted. I get the need for the screw but I love that ford offers the raptor in scab form. Just my wife and I.

kpecks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going from a crew cab to a screw, that's one thing. Its another thing to upgrade for upgrade sake. Not much has changed from 17-19.

OP
OP
Teledatgeek

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going from a crew cab to a screw, that's one thing. Its another thing to upgrade for upgrade sake. Not much has changed from 17-19.

Yeah it was really get the super crew for the additional room in the back and I hate the suicide doors. Agree not worth it for feature change between '17 and '19.

OP
OP
Teledatgeek

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much extra when new was the SCREW cab over the SCAB on the 17 you own? Take that number and add the cost of a low mileage two year extended warranty to your truck so it equals a new 19 in coverage. Then subtract this number from a well negotiated out the door trade in on a new 2019. This final number is the depreciation penalty you are paying for not choosing a 17 SCREW with extended warranty to begin with.

Now consider this......I bought a 19 SCREW coming from a 2014 Silverado crew cab. The rear passenger area is enormous by comparison, like having a small apartment back there. Since total rear space is probably close between my 14 Silverado Crew and a 17 SCAB, I have wondered if I could have gotten by with a SCAB for less money and benefited from the shorter wheelbase break over angle and shorter turning radius. Don't under estimate how much bigger a SCREW might drive and park compared to your SCAB. Also can you organize your existing space better for more room? Take out a seat section you don't need etc.

You mentioned some interest in waiting for the next generation Raptor. If you are likely to buy one you will suffer the steepest part of the depreciation curve twice when you trade up. Once on the 17 and again on the 19.

My suggestion is to buy a 100k miles 4 year extended warranty if repair worries are an issue and hold on to your 17 until the new gen is out. The small performance differences in the 17 vs the 19 aren't worth $18-20k in my opinion. Save it for a Gen 3 Raptor.....

FYI, I received a $5700 discount on my 19 Raptor. Plus a what I believe to be a very fair trade in on my Silverado.

I think you got a good deal! I have run those numbers like you suggest. Difference in price originally; 22K miles; I'll need new tires soon, etc. Feel like $17K to $18K would be a good deal for me. Given the original price difference, mileage, tires - seems like that is a "loss" of maybe $8K after 29 months of ownership. I would also argue that when it comes time to trade in for Gen 3, that the '19 will have more value. Not to mention that I don't really want to wait 2, 3, 4, years for a Gen 3 to come out..

Space wise - one would think the SCAB would be enough - they I try to load boxes - they get stuck at the console all the time; not great for our Lab. Those doors - what a PITA. But I do get what you're saying about that extra foot - parking, turning, etc. Will still fit in my garage - barely...

But... more than my price point and I don't see it as worth it - so likely not happening!

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there a reason you aren't looking for a used SCREW? If your priority is moving from SCAB to SCREW and aren't really into that new car feel or the differences between 17 and 19, why not wait for the right deal to come along? I get that the market isn't as active in your area, but if you're looking for lowest cost deal, and can be patient, that would be the way to go.

OP
OP
Teledatgeek

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason you aren't looking for a used SCREW? If your priority is moving from SCAB to SCREW and aren't really into that new car feel or the differences between 17 and 19, why not wait for the right deal to come along? I get that the market isn't as active in your area, but if you're looking for lowest cost deal, and can be patient, that would be the way to go.

Not a bad idea........

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have a hard time finding a dealer who will give you all the money for yours and discount theirs to the bone. Retail cost to retail cost. Wholesale cost to wholesale cost is usually the operating margin. Sure you can negotiate the new truck price as low as you can but that still doesn't mean they will give you top dollar for your ride.

With that said a 19K-20K difference would be good deal IMO.

Sam

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Nobody" wants a Supercab truck. Yeah, a few of course- but I'm guessing 99% of guys walking onto their lot are not looking for a Supercab. I'll sell it privately first to that unicorn buyer, then go looking for your 2019.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
$37k for a 3 year old SCAB with 22k miles is not insulting....it is just reality when dealing with trade ins.

Raptors are no longer the unicorns they once were. Any decent sized ford dealer will have 5+ in stock at any time. If the dealer gives you $46k for it in trade, they have to sell it for $50K. Who would buy a $50k 3 year old truck with 22k miles, when you can get a brand new one and a SCREW for $65k.

Trade ins are always hard to swallow, but they are easy. you want more money, sell privately, but those can be hard.

OP
OP
Teledatgeek

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Nobody" wants a Supercab truck. Yeah, a few of course- but I'm guessing 99% of guys walking onto their lot are not looking for a Supercab. I'll sell it privately first to that unicorn buyer, then go looking for your 2019.

Maybe... I have seen a few out there and I think 10% of the Raptors sold have been Supercab's... My challenge selling privately is the loss of credit towards sales tax - in this case almost $4K...