'17 SCAB to '19 SCREW?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like to get opinions - I think the larger cab will work better for me now. But... looks like trade up to a '19 will be @$20K. Maybe less now that we're at the end of the '19 model year - presuming I can find one like I want.

Does it financially make sense to do this now or wait for a next Gen Raptor (likely 2 to 3 years it sounds like). '17 has 22K miles.

Pro's - larger cab that would be useful; new warranty; I feel like new tires will be in my future soon and of course warranty will be up in several months.

Con's - well just $

I think my dealer quoted me @$48K trade value, but still selling a new one slightly below MSRP. Seems like maybe should be closer to $17K - $18K + trade?

Kashoggio

Lives in a van down by the river.
Reaction score
These kind of questions are honestly best answered by you. Financially if it’s going to hurt you then obviously no. The new f150 will be here when ever and frankly when that comes out there will be talk about the next gen. It never stops , it’s a perpetual cycle with no end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Teledatgeek

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These kind of questions are honestly best answered by you. Financially if it’s going to hurt you then obviously no. The new f150 will be here when ever and frankly when that comes out there will be talk about the next gen. It never stops , it’s a perpetual cycle with no end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes of course. Like you, am thinking a Gen 3 Raptor would be a few years out. I don't like to wait and once I hit my 50's - I find myself saying life is short a lot!

Nibbl3s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation going from a 17 screw with 19k miles to a 19. It all depends on the dynamics of the deal

I was given a generous trade in of 55k. I bought a fully loaded “demo” that the was the owners personal vehicle with 2k miles for 66.8 (75k sticker)

At that delta it 100 percent made the upgrade worth it at 20k? Not for me

BUT a screw for you maybe worth it so it’s really situational

Def shop around fir deals. They are out there

OP
OP
Teledatgeek

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you folks think is a fair trade and sell price on the '19's? I was just quoted a $37K trade (which I find insulting) and a '19 at MSRP! I was figuring more like $46K to $48K for the trade and close to $65K to $66K for the replacement which has an MSRP of $71K. This is Upstate NY, not a big market. Maybe crazy thinking on my part but there is no way I'm paying $34K to upgrade to a '19 SCREW.

OP
OP
Teledatgeek

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Negotiate the cost of the new truck first. Don't even mention the trade. Once you have that in writing then bring up the trade.

I get the game.... but these folks are stealing at both ends! Maybe a private sale would work better in this situation - sales tax hit though always sucks.

GR8Ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you folks think is a fair trade and sell price on the '19's? I was just quoted a $37K trade (which I find insulting) and a '19 at MSRP! I was figuring more like $46K to $48K for the trade and close to $65K to $66K for the replacement which has an MSRP of $71K. This is Upstate NY, not a big market. Maybe crazy thinking on my part but there is no way I'm paying $34K to upgrade to a '19 SCREW.
Can’t help myself...
Shared with you in July my 2 year shopping research in your market. Since then through the dealer I shared with you 3 guys purchased there 2019’s from them. 2 were ordered at $500 below invoice and 1 was a dealer trade at invoice. Also, you always handle your trade as a separate transaction from your purchase.
Good luck wasting your money unnecessarily. It helps the rest of us!

HAPPILY EVER RAPTOR

OP
OP
Teledatgeek

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t help myself...
Shared with you in July my 2 year shopping research in your market. Since then through the dealer I shared with you 3 guys purchased there 2019’s from them. 2 were ordered at $500 below invoice and 1 was a dealer trade at invoice. Also, you always handle your trade as a separate transaction from your purchase.
Good luck wasting your money unnecessarily. It helps the rest of us!

HAPPILY EVER RAPTOR

You won't see me wasting my money unnecessarily, this is not a MUST have situation - just one of those if it works great. No way I'm paying MSRP or accepting an unfair crappy trade number. But do refresh my memory as I don't recall the post nor could I find it. Which dealer in Upstate? Sounds like I should call them!

JPW Colorado

Reaction score
How much extra when new was the SCREW cab over the SCAB on the 17 you own? Take that number and add the cost of a low mileage two year extended warranty to your truck so it equals a new 19 in coverage. Then subtract this number from a well negotiated out the door trade in on a new 2019. This final number is the depreciation penalty you are paying for not choosing a 17 SCREW with extended warranty to begin with.

Now consider this......I bought a 19 SCREW coming from a 2014 Silverado crew cab. The rear passenger area is enormous by comparison, like having a small apartment back there. Since total rear space is probably close between my 14 Silverado Crew and a 17 SCAB, I have wondered if I could have gotten by with a SCAB for less money and benefited from the shorter wheelbase break over angle and shorter turning radius. Don't under estimate how much bigger a SCREW might drive and park compared to your SCAB. Also can you organize your existing space better for more room? Take out a seat section you don't need etc.

You mentioned some interest in waiting for the next generation Raptor. If you are likely to buy one you will suffer the steepest part of the depreciation curve twice when you trade up. Once on the 17 and again on the 19.

My suggestion is to buy a 100k miles 4 year extended warranty if repair worries are an issue and hold on to your 17 until the new gen is out. The small performance differences in the 17 vs the 19 aren't worth $18-20k in my opinion. Save it for a Gen 3 Raptor.....

FYI, I received a $5700 discount on my 19 Raptor. Plus a what I believe to be a very fair trade in on my Silverado.