-1" Deavers and mid-perch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This question will highlight my lack of mechanical understanding, but what is the advantage/disadvantage of the 1+ without blocks vs the 2+ with shackles (obviously without blocks) assuming I run a bump stop system? Will both sets require re-valved rear shocks?

Dave

I think you would be fine with either the +1's or a 1" drop shackle...no revalving required. If you go with a 2" or more drop shackle, then I think you might have to mess with more of the revalving and all that kind of stuff. I am not an expert by any means, but from my experience, this is what I've gathered.

For what I can say of advantages/disadvantages...I'd lean towards a +1 leaf because it is designed to ride that height. The drop shackle is altering the natural angle of the spring. If your getting Deavers though...I think you might have a hard time finding the +1's anymore. If you could though, I'd do it that way.

I personally would rather actually have drop shackles on stock springs than drop shackles on progressive leafs like Deavers. Jeff from Deaver even told me that the drop shackle actually help the stock leafs be a little stronger by changing the spring rate with more angle. The Deavers are designed so well and the spring rate is much better, therefor altering that actually hurts. If that makes sense...

Last edited:

BRAPPPP

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was interested in the same setup. When I called svc and asked them which would be better a 1+ or a 2+ with drop shackles they called deaver and deaver recommended the 1+ setup.

Dirt Bag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had some lengthy discussions with Haynes off road about several set up scenarios I proposed. The outcome was a well educated and reasonably budgeted package to meet my needs.
Call the man and ask all your questions and listen to his proposed solutions.
You will come out smarter and smarter is better!
Unless you want to try and jump something like a pool of sharks. Then kajones is what matters more than brains

OP
OP
D

daveypetey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was interested in the same setup. When I called svc and asked them which would be better a 1+ or a 2+ with drop shackles they called deaver and deaver recommended the 1+ setup.

Awesome. Did they recommend shims at all? I'll likely be ordering this week.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shims are little wedge type things that go between the under side of the leaf and the rear end. Shims are meant to help change the pinion angle. From mechanics that I have spoken with, shims should not be needed for the small changes being made by us on here between an inch or two or even 3 in height. Shims come into play when someone jacks up a truck drastically (like an 8 inch lift or something) or lowers a truck drastically.

I don't think a small degree shim will hurt anything anyhow (between 2-4 degree is subtle). Doing a large degree shim would do more harm than good, so be a little cautious. Shims won't do anything unless you have a drastic pinion angle problem and feel some drastic vibration.

DezertRacer

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No block, 35"Tires. No binding issues. The truck is very low but handles like a dream. I didn't have intentions on building my truck so low, but i really like it.

Did you have to get new rear u-bolts after removing the rear blocks? I was thinking about doing the same but wasn't sure if i need to or not .