1.5” Collars vs 1.0” Eibach springs, I HAVE USED BOTH…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The collars did not ride well and topped out when needing down travel.

The Eibachs are bit better as they don’t lift as much and don’t too out….as bad.

I can say the Eibachs are a better choice between the 2 for handling and ride characteristics. However both are a cosmetic mod that takes away from handling. I will be yanking off the Eibachs as soon as any company comes out with a set of model specific coilovers.

I am not overly impressed with either collars or springs. I kind of wish I just left it stock and didn’t waste the time or money with the work I’ve done.

FOX where are you at with this already???

pnwobrigade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we were discussing this in the other thread and I have also been between these two options I have a few questions. In what situation are these topping out aggressively? I would wonder given there are significant amount of people that have the 1.5" RPG collars why the inconsistent feedback? Given the motion ration of the front suspension is roughly 2:1 you should only be adding less than 3/4" of preload and likely closer to 1/2" given most report less than 1.5" of actual lift. Secondly, for Eibachs you are going from a progressive spring to a linear spring and additional 50lb of springrate. Depending on the length and rate of the spring you should be losing little to no down travel there. I guess what I'm getting at have you confirmed its these increases that are causing the harsh characteristics and not faulty shocks given there is a large TSB to replace 21-22 shocks that have a well known "clunk". Also, as mentioned in the previous thread Factory 3.0 are nearly identical in physical dimensions except obviously threaded bodies and different internals. With that said, adding enough preload to achieve similar ride height with Factory 3.0's as what you have now likely isn't going to fix what you are perceiving, preload is preload plain and simple. If you want 1.5-2.0in of increased height but to maintain droop travel you will need a physically larger/longer shock and likely run into CV axle angle issues at this point.

OP
OP
H

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2023, so it has the new shocks. The Eibachs don’t top out near as bad as the the spacers did, but they shock rebound is severely under dampened for the increased rate and extended length of the Eibach spring. The Eibachs rode way better than the Gen2 version, better than a preload collar for sure, but absolutely suck compared to stock or a nice set of aftermarket coilovers.

I don’t want 1.5”-2.0” of lift, I want 1”. I say .75”-1” is the sweet spot for height and performance.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 1.5” collars and experienced the annoying topping out and messed up damping. Then I installed an aftermarket intercooler and somewhat heavy lightbar which lowered my front to within .5” of stock height. Now it is perfect and rides as good as stock. Extremely happy.

OP
OP
H

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been driving with the Eibachs and as they break in, they are riding better, MUCH better than the preload collars.
I would say if doing a level, don’t even consider the collars and just do the Eibach 1.0” springs.
Now based on what you say about having more weight, I guess collars work, but if needing down travel, they’ll still top out as the extra weight doesn’t do anything for that.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been driving with the Eibachs and as they break in, they are riding better, MUCH better than the preload collars.
I would say if doing a level, don’t even consider the collars and just do the Eibach 1.0” springs.
Now based on what you say about having more weight, I guess collars work, but if needing down travel, they’ll still top out as the extra weight doesn’t do anything for that.
If you are implying 1.5 perch collars reduce total travel you are incorrect. As I stated above, my topping out issue is 100% resolved with additional weight in the front. My ride functions as well as stock.

OP
OP
H

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are implying 1.5 perch collars reduce total travel you are incorrect. As I stated above, my topping out issue is 100% resolved with additional weight in the front. My ride functions as well as stock.
I never implied that at all. Have been in the off-road racing scene since I’ve been a kid, I have a little bit more than a novice knowledge of how suspension works.

A preload collar does reduce down travel, impossible not to when lifting using preload. You gain up travel, but lose down-travel. You should ALWAYS HAVE MORE DOWN TRAVEL THAN UP TRAVEL. However when using preload collars or lift springs, on OEM struts, you’ll most always have too little down travel to have advantageous performance over using the OEM configuration.

I was simply saying that 1.0” Eibach springs will handle better than 1.5” collars, bar none. I have tried it and they simply do. I would say they are good enough to live with forever, but as picky as I am, and being I actually use my truck in the desert, I will be buying aftermarket coilovers as soon as they are released.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never implied that at all. Have been in the off-road racing scene since I’ve been a kid, I have a little bit more than a novice knowledge of how suspension works.

A preload collar does reduce down travel, impossible not to when lifting using preload. You gain up travel, but lose down-travel. You should ALWAYS HAVE MORE DOWN TRAVEL THAN UP TRAVEL. However when using preload collars or lift springs, on OEM struts, you’ll most always have too little down travel to have advantageous performance over using the OEM configuration.

I was simply saying that 1.0” Eibach springs will handle better than 1.5” collars, bar none. I have tried it and they simply do. I would say they are good enough to live with forever, but as picky as I am, and being I actually use my truck in the desert, I will be buying aftermarket coilovers as soon as they are released.

I would venture to say the more you deviate from stock ride height the worse your truck is going to perform. After loading up my front end with modifications, perch collars got me back close to stock ride height (exact measurement is 3/8 higher than stock). My truck rides so well now I’ve decided I’m going to pass on any fox race offerings in the future. If I’m going to buy new shocks it will be for a mid travel setup only.

Slaptor911

Reaction score
The collars did not ride well and topped out when needing down travel.

The Eibachs are bit better as they don’t lift as much and don’t too out….as bad.

I can say the Eibachs are a better choice between the 2 for handling and ride characteristics. However both are a cosmetic mod that takes away from handling. I will be yanking off the Eibachs as soon as any company comes out with a set of model specific coilovers.

I am not overly impressed with either collars or springs. I kind of wish I just left it stock and didn’t waste the time or money with the work I’ve done.

FOX where are you at with this already???
FOX is probably Q3 or Q4 on the aftermarket development. Honestly, there is so much technology that is tied into the OE shocks, not only in the electronic, but the pressures these shocks are working with on the ”Live Valve” it becomes a real challenge to improve upon the OE spec. Once the prototypes are complete, they go on vehicle for tuning, testing, then thousands, and I mean thousands of miles of off-road endurance testing. No company does as much research before releasing an aftermarket product. Does this cause frustration and delays, absolutely…. But it’s just so much more now than building a shock in the right lengths.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FOX is probably Q3 or Q4 on the aftermarket development. Honestly, there is so much technology that is tied into the OE shocks, not only in the electronic, but the pressures these shocks are working with on the ”Live Valve” it becomes a real challenge to improve upon the OE spec. Once the prototypes are complete, they go on vehicle for tuning, testing, then thousands, and I mean thousands of miles of off-road endurance testing. No company does as much research before releasing an aftermarket product. Does this cause frustration and delays, absolutely…. But it’s just so much more now than building a shock in the right lengths.
I have been tempted on several occasions to do a live valve delete and throw a set of icon coilovers and rear bypass shocks, but nobody can confirm fitment.

I saw some member on here did a set of gen2 fox race series suspension on his gen 3 and says it works great.

I have 3 concerns:

1. I know the holes in the strut tower are 5/8” in the gen3, but only 9/16” for the gen2. It would irritate me and maybe create play over time if the studs that hold the coilovers aren’t big enough.

2. I know the new gen3 has more travel, I would hate ruining the suspension or not being able to capitalize on all the “potential” travel, or create a situation where there isn’t enough down travel causing harshness and unnecessary wear on the shocks.

3. I know another member used the old fox race series in the rear of his gen 3 and claims they work great, the icons have a weird linkage however and I’m unsure if it works or not with the next gen3 rear suspension.