1/31 squad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same. My hood and passenger fender are splotchy. There is a small light streak just above the flare on the passenger rear bedside, but it's only in strong sunlight at a certain angle. My hood/fender are being repainted as we speak. I'm holding off on the rear bedside.

None of the splotches/streaks show up on mine unless in bright sunlight. Overcast days it looks perfect.
Identical to mine. It has to be in the right light and angle to see, but when you do, it looks like ****. I have blotchy parts on both bed sides in front of the rear wheels, top of the fender flares on both sides and the gas door. The tailgate along the entire top is also blotchy. More annoying than anything that pay all this money and it not be perfect.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming both of the trucks in the previous posts are Iconic Silver? 2018 & 2019 F150's were silver and 2020 F250 was silver as well; all 3 of them had at least one panel that was sprayed very thin or appeared to have less depth than the rest of the truck.

zachmm23

Reaction score
My 02/02 blend just went from in production to built on tracker. FP says no ETA but can see the truck was moved back to the plant. Everyone thinks the chip has been installed. Hopefully good news for other people stuck in production.

AKSteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugg....This last bit of waiting is the hardest part. Anyway, I heard the truck might have arrived in town, so I decided to take a drive down by the shipping yards near the port and spotted my truck almost immediately. It's already loaded up on a vehicle hauler, so maybe I'll have it by the weekend? Anyway, it was love at first sight:

Attachments

• RaptorShipping.jpg
    RaptorShipping.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 42

Tampaukfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Identical to mine. It has to be in the right light and angle to see, but when you do, it looks like ****. I have blotchy parts on both bed sides in front of the rear wheels, top of the fender flares on both sides and the gas door. The tailgate along the entire top is also blotchy. More annoying than anything that pay all this money and it not be perfect.

Is this how yours looks? This is called "mottling", it happens when the paint gun runs dry , too wet or is dirty.

Mine has it on the top parts of the bed fenders, you cant see it in bright daylight or 100% shade. Indirect lighting with some shade or using a bright LED flashlight (like the photos) you can see it. I looked my truck over in 100% shade when I picked it up and in 100% sun, never thought to check under indirect light.
Opened a case with Ford but have not had a chance to take it in to the dealer. Needless to say I am pissed, but not surprised since Ford paint quality is pure shit.
Paint defects are common with Ford, you would think after years of this they would get it fixed.

Another odd thing is the paint thickness, my cab measures 6.0 and the bed measures 3.2-3.9. The last 4 Ford trucks I have owned all measured 3.5-4.00 bed and cab. I know the bed and cab are not painted at the same time so maybe the line the ours beds was on had issues with the Robot.
Ive asked multiple friends to see if they can see any issues with paint but none can see it until the truck is in right light and after I show them the areas. Repainting is not an option for me, hoping for an exchange or buyback but I doubt that will happen. Probably will just trade it in if my F250 ever gets built.

IMG_2135.jpegIMG_2149.jpegIMG_2168.jpeg

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this how yours looks? This is called "mottling", it happens when the paint gun runs dry , too wet or is dirty.

Mine has it on the top parts of the bed fenders, you cant see it in bright daylight or 100% shade. Indirect lighting with some shade or using a bright LED flashlight (like the photos) you can see it. I looked my truck over in 100% shade when I picked it up and in 100% sun, never thought to check under indirect light.
Opened a case with Ford but have not had a chance to take it in to the dealer. Needless to say I am pissed, but not surprised since Ford paint quality is pure shit.
Paint defects are common with Ford, you would think after years of this they would get it fixed.

Another odd thing is the paint thickness, my cab measures 6.0 and the bed measures 3.2-3.9. The last 4 Ford trucks I have owned all measured 3.5-4.00 bed and cab. I know the bed and cab are not painted at the same time so maybe the line the ours beds was on had issues with the Robot.
Ive asked multiple friends to see if they can see any issues with paint but none can see it until the truck is in right light and after I show them the areas. Repainting is not an option for me, hoping for an exchange or buyback but I doubt that will happen. Probably will just trade it in if my F250 ever gets built.

View attachment 354352View attachment 354351View attachment 354350
Thanks for the technical term. I had no idea but yup that’s exactly what mine looks like. Why not consider a repaint?

Attachments

• 0C219D11-6B46-46FC-A6EE-7C541D396442.jpeg
    0C219D11-6B46-46FC-A6EE-7C541D396442.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 27
  • AD232865-698B-432E-A0EE-FD7FA25D6A73.jpeg
    AD232865-698B-432E-A0EE-FD7FA25D6A73.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 26

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's like that with the space white and to a lesser noticeable degree oxford as well. All of my silver trucks were like that since 2019 when they cut costs and stopped painting inside the engine bay and underneath of the hood.
Thanks for the technical term. I had no idea but yup that’s exactly what mine looks like. Why not consider a repaint?

I wouldn't either. When a vehicle is repainted even done correctly it's not factory and leads to a lower resale. Ford wont pay for a repaint of any truck that "looks that good" its not coming off or bubbling, etc.

Tampaukfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the best paint shop in my area look at it and the owner said if it was his truck he wouldnt mess with it... his reasons..
1. 75% of the time you never see it.. ( I had to find an area in his lot that had the correct light to see defect.)
2. Fixing it the right way would require taking the bed off and complete disassembly.
3. Silver can be tricky to match.

I think Ford makes the best looking trucks, but their quality is awful. Every single Ford I have owned has had some type of paint defect.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the best paint shop in my area look at it and the owner said if it was his truck he wouldnt mess with it... his reasons..
1. 75% of the time you never see it.. ( I had to find an area in his lot that had the correct light to see defect.)
2. Fixing it the right way would require taking the bed off and complete disassembly.
3. Silver can be tricky to match.

I think Ford makes the best looking trucks, but their quality is awful. Every single Ford I have owned has had some type of paint defect.

Any silver or white (especially pearl or metallic) needs plenty of blend room or just a total paint job