Step Tail Gate Warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The manager at the my Ford dealership told me he has replaced several tail gates with the built-in step. People are STEALING THEM !!

I live in the Phoenix area, but it may be happening in your town too. The best defense against this is to simply lock the tail gate closed. Removing a tail gate is very simple, but only if you can get it open.

So, due to the Law of Unintended Consequences, whether you have optional tail gate step or you forgot to order your Raptor with the one, you know what to do!

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have heard the same thing. Some people have installed a hose clamp on the open end of the hinge. I plan on installing an electric tailgate lock which is wired into the door locks. (When I get my Raptor that is)

I would imagine that any vehicle with a old man step, special badging (SVT) or a back up cam would be at risk, it's not just a Raptor thing.

delt530

U.S. Army Captain
Reaction score
i have seen online a cable lock for this exact reason. sounds like something to look into. thanks for the heads up. going to have to look for that remote lock too...sounds interesting joker.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i have seen online a cable lock for this exact reason. sounds like something to look into. thanks for the heads up. going to have to look for that remote lock too...sounds interesting joker.

Here is a description of the Pace Edwards PowerGate. You can do a google search for similar products and prices.
FYI, the installation instructions give you the wrong wire colors, so I am told. Here are the correct colors:

Lock: gray/yellow
Unlock: purple/gray
They should be located behind kick panel near parking brake.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
i have a garage and live in Massachusetts. my tailgate is not at risk :D