Some fun in Moab, UT.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svt_reid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut my exhaust off too. no cons that I can think of. I actually cut my muffler off and welded on a turn down. Been that way for a year or so and I like it

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup as soon as I dovetailed the bed the exhaust was chopped before the axle and added a Magnapack muffler. Clearance for days now.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup as soon as I dovetailed the bed the exhaust was chopped before the axle and added a Magnapack muffler. Clearance for days now.

I chopped mine right AFTER the axle. Mainly cause I fell in love with the sound of the Volant exhaust and since I had to buy the whole cat-back, I didn't want to waste all the tubing completely. I do hate the tip sticking out and in the way in the normal exit, so just right after it comes down after the axle, just chopped it there.

Is there any disadvantages to chopping the exhaust after the axle as opposed to before the axle? My guess is that during extreme jumps and such, the axle can gets pushed up so high that it hits the pipes?

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I chopped mine right AFTER the axle. Mainly cause I fell in love with the sound of the Volant exhaust and since I had to buy the whole cat-back, I didn't want to waste all the tubing completely. I do hate the tip sticking out and in the way in the normal exit, so just right after it comes down after the axle, just chopped it there.

Is there any disadvantages to chopping the exhaust after the axle as opposed to before the axle? My guess is that during extreme jumps and such, the axle can gets pushed up so high that it hits the pipes?

RPG recommended I do it when I dovetailed so I said **** it because I wanted it out of the way for when slow rock crawling or even some washouts. It was stock no money invested in exhaust. Then I wanted better sound so grabbed the Magnapack and welded it to the hanger so it never goes anywhere or rattles.

Less restrictive exhaust is always good. The spare is up in the bed rack now. No drone at all and sounds great.
83C5310D-4072-43A3-8756-A4BDEFC9A752_zpshq2be9r7.jpg
A568E3F0-285E-4D16-B5C4-AC92697AFDA8_zps8lxra4xl.jpg

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's cool @oxfordraptor...I was mainly just curious if you think there's an advantage to cutting the pipes BEFORE or AFTER the axle? I originally was going to do like you, just dump it down right after the muffler. I decided to cut it just AFTER the axle because I figured that I could always cut it more later.

Do you think there are advantages to dumping it BEFORE the axle rather than right AFTER the axle? Don't have any pics handy if my exhaust, but it does not go any lower than the spare tire as it is now. I still have the spare under the bed. Maybe I'm getting too detailed and asking you like you are the authority on this...just wondering if you or anyone might have some insight to this and some reasons why it's better before the axle then right after the axle?

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's cool @oxfordraptor...I was mainly just curious if you think there's an advantage to cutting the pipes BEFORE or AFTER the axle? I originally was going to do like you, just dump it down right after the muffler. I decided to cut it just AFTER the axle because I figured that I could always cut it more later.

Do you think there are advantages to dumping it BEFORE the axle rather than right AFTER the axle? Don't have any pics handy if my exhaust, but it does not go any lower than the spare tire as it is now. I still have the spare under the bed. Maybe I'm getting too detailed and asking you like you are the authority on this...just wondering if you or anyone might have some insight to this and some reasons why it's better before the axle then right after the axle?

I always thought it was better for back pressure to dump before the axle as going over you lose some. However the difference is still minimal if any. Depending on the exhaust a dump before the axle could cause a lot of drone if it is not side exit.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks a lot for that info man @oxfordraptor. That's definetly what I was wondering. I'm liking my setup now, but it's good to know the +'s and -'s to each setup. Thanks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

I don't think it matters either way. I did mine after the axle so I could use the factory hanger to secure it better.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it matters either way. I did mine after the axle so I could use the factory hanger to secure it better.

Yeah, I did that too. When I was about to install mine like a month ago is when those guys were coming out with the stories of how their whole cat-back systems were falling off while driving or off roading. I know one of the guys only had like one or two hangers on and pointed to that, so I wanted to make sure it was as secure as possible. Always have liked the exhaust dumped right after the muffler, but I agree it's splitting hairs. Just glad I don't have pipes sticking out the back waiting to collect mud and get in the way and scrape all over the place like the video earlier on this thread.