HOW TO: 2011 Resonator Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mblgjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found my invoice. The straight pipe was $65/delivered.

Sure, you can have one made. Keep in mind most stainless 3" ball joints are $60+; plus labor, plus a foot of pipe, plus the time and fuel it takes you to drive to the exhaust shop. Between the parts and labor; plus downtime I wasn't going to fight it.

And FYI I doubt a typical aftermarket universal ball-flange will even work because the OEM ball/socket on the truck is of a different shape. It's not just a typical ball size. It's a flatter/bigger joint than what all aftermarket universals are. I'm not saying something like that won't work, I didn't try it; but it just looks like it won't right off because the shape of the sealing surfaces of the joint are different.

So, if you want to make you're own, you'll likely be hacking your resonator off and installing a piece of pipe in it's place. And most muffler shops don't stock stainless tubing, only aluminized. And none of them use anything but normal welding rod so the weld is going to rust too.

Most aftermarket ball flanges look like this:
Flowmaster 15930 - Flowmaster Ball Flange Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The Ford joint has a much flatter/broader shape to it, so the above type won't seal up. You'd have to get a Ford flange to make it work, or cut your OEM resonator out to make an assembly.

I'm sure the resonator section is around $165 or so :birgits_tiredcoffee

:waytogo:

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody have a good video sound clip of the resonator delete?

When I had my BMW M6, I had some "test pipes" installed to replace the secondary cats (the V10 M6 has 4 cats, primaries in front of the O2 sensors and secondaries after the O2 sensors)... anyway, I had the secondary casts removed and the resonators and had some Magnaflows installed...

The car sounded like an Indy Car at WOT, but had a metallic "ping" to the sound.... How's the Ford 6.2L engine sound with a RES delete?

YouTube - ‪M6 Take Off & Fly by‬‏

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anybody have a good video sound clip of the resonator delete?

When I had my BMW M6, I had some "test pipes" installed to replace the secondary cats (the V10 M6 has 4 cats, primaries in front of the O2 sensors and secondaries after the O2 sensors)... anyway, I had the secondary casts removed and the resonators and had some Magnaflows installed...

The car sounded like an Indy Car at WOT, but had a metallic "ping" to the sound.... How's the Ford 6.2L engine sound with a RES delete?

YouTube - ‪M6 Take Off & Fly by‬‏

All the 2010s dont have the resonator so that gives you an idea. Its pretty tame with or without it. the stock muffler is the big factor of sound. My exhaust cutout makes a huge difference. The cats don't do much for the sound from what I can tell. I know on my ISF the car sounded pretty bad ass with muffler delete still keeping the resonator and all 4 cats.

midnighyt

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put on a dmh exhaust cut out with y pipe. Decided to put it in place of the resonator with advice of the exhaust shop that welded it in for me. Truck does sound deeper and much better. Open the cut out and WOW!

yep I did that with my quicktime cutout, love the sound open and closed. no droning

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any idea if this fits an '11 screw? The thread seems to hint that it may not, but wondering if anyone has tried?

Thanks,
Matt