Hardwiring a radar detector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright .... Here is what I have learned and gathered about adding a Dash Cam and/or Radar Detector to the AUX Switches and my plan of attack on install (my goal is to keep my cig lighter free to use with a USB adapter)

This is my dash cam (love it ~ moving it over from my 4runner)

I plan to run this step down (steps down 12v to 5v)

Now, instead of using a fuse tap, I plan to hardwire directly to an AUX switch with an inline 5amp fuse just to be on the safe side and ground it to the body.

As for the Radar Detector. From what I gather ~ they don't need a step down ~ Plan to add the same 5amp fuse inline and ground it accordingly. Unless y'all feel I should run a large fuse.

This should allow me to manually turn them on & off with a switch and each should power down (even if left in the on position) when the truck gets shut off.

Anyone see any issues with this plan?

Thanks for the writeup. I was just curious, why not just hook the dash cam directly to one of the two AUX switches that run at 5 AMPS? That way you wouldn't need the step down.

Jetsco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to use the mirror Tap with the adaptive cruise mirror? Where did you access the wires?
Details:

I updated my V1, used the Blendmount and MirrorTap for power, it's the 10" long version and used the .040" taps.

For those with the power mirror and front camera. Here is how to tap into the harness. Use the white connector facing the drivers side to tap for radar detector. Black wire for ground. Solid yellow wire for power. It is the second yellow wire from the black one. See pics.

Also, the plastic cap doesn't use any clips. It has a male plunger type holder on each side of the plastic piece that covers the lower part of the mirror. Pull firmly straight down on both sides and it will pop so, out. The top piece is held in place by the bottom piece. You just squeeze on both sides of the top piece near the mirror stud and it will pull off. Make sure to put the lower piece back on first when reinstalling. Then just pop the top piece back on. I did drill a small hole for the mirrortap to run through so the covers to fit together properly.

Hope this helps.

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

Last edited:

DROPOUT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the writeup. I was just curious, why not just hook the dash cam directly to one of the two AUX switches that run at 5 AMPS? That way you wouldn't need the step down.

@Swimmer ... This is what I did. Took about 2 hours on the install and getting aquanted with the AUX switch wires both under the hook and the passenger floor kick panel.

My DashCam is hooked up to AUX #5 :) I can now turn it on and off. I plan to wire up my Radar Det to AUX #6! Radar should be quite a bit quicker now that both wire looms are easier to access! Install was over all a breeze!

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do yours off of the white or black plug?

Black plug directly behind the mirror.

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

@Swimmer ... This is what I did. Took about 2 hours on the install and getting aquanted with the AUX switch wires both under the hook and the passenger floor kick panel.

My DashCam is hooked up to AUX #5 :) I can now turn it on and off. I plan to wire up my Radar Det to AUX #6! Radar should be quite a bit quicker now that both wire looms are easier to access! Install was over all a breeze!

What dash cam do you have? Any pics? I'm interested in getting one.