Why no 4x4 on dry pavement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
4X4H is recommended for slippery conditions and
heavy rain is a slippery condition. Especially when your tread is down 50%.
Not using it in these conditions is Less safe.

absolute bullsh!t. Sorry to be blunt, but I've driven 2wd vehicles my entire life. The Raptor is my first 4wd vehicle. I've never once been on wet roads and went "crap I need 4wd". 4wd only helps you accelerate from a stop, does nothing for handling (you don't even get understeer on wet roads that you may in snowy conditions where 4wd can actually help handling), and 4wd does nothing for braking, and if you're accelerating too hard for 2wd to get you traction in wet conditions, it's your driving that's unsafe, not the fact of not using 4wd on wet roads that's unsafe.

12,000 miles down on the Raptor and I've needed to use 4wd twice. Once in a sugar sand pit, and once in a foot of snow on top of a layer of ice.

Yes you can use 4wd on wet "slippery" roads, but there's really no need to whatsoever.

Banned
Reaction score
absolute bullsh!t. Sorry to be blunt, but I've driven 2wd vehicles my entire life. The Raptor is my first 4wd vehicle. I've never once been on wet roads and went "crap I need 4wd". 4wd only helps you accelerate from a stop, does nothing for handling (you don't even get understeer on wet roads that you may in snowy conditions where 4wd can actually help handling), and 4wd does nothing for braking, and if you're accelerating too hard for 2wd to get you traction in wet conditions, it's your driving that's unsafe, not the fact of not using 4wd on wet roads that's unsafe.

12,000 miles down on the Raptor and I've needed to use 4wd twice. Once in a sugar sand pit, and once in a foot of snow on top of a layer of ice.

Yes you can use 4wd on wet "slippery" roads, but there's really no need to whatsoever.

agreed 100%

4x4 is more of a "oh, you got stuck in 2wd? just pop it into 4x4 and be on your way" thing. at least, thats how i use it anyways.

only times ive NEEDED to use it, is after i stopped moving under 2wd. popped it into 4x4, got going agian, and dropped it back to 2wd.

now, needing to use it, and wanting to use it is two different things.
ive used it a lot in mud just to cover the truck in mud more lol. wasnt needed, but still fun.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
now, needing to use it, and wanting to use it is two different things.
ive used it a lot in mud just to cover the truck in mud more lol. wasnt needed, but still fun.

Yep that last part is the key. Needing to use it and wanting to use it. I've used mine a decent amount when I hit some offroading every now and then, because I figure probably good to exercise the stuff every now and then anyway, but times I've needed to use it are much less frequent.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:slap:Not true!: Did you forget about Slip Angle??

And I have Not been driving 2WD my whole life.

:birgits_tiredcoffeeIt's about 'slip angle'

In 4WD, each wheel has a shared tractive force. This reduces 'slip angle' when taking a corner.

When 'slip ange' is reduced, the vehicle will be able to corner at a higher speed, due to the shared tractive forces.
With 2WD the limit for 'slip angle' is reached at a lower speed. :sunot:

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score

:slap:Not true!: Did you forget about Slip Angle??

And I have Not been driving 2WD my whole life.

:birgits_tiredcoffeeIt's about 'slip angle'

In 4WD, each wheel has a shared tractive force. This reduces 'slip angle' when taking a corner.

When 'slip ange' is reduced, the vehicle will be able to corner at a higher speed, due to the shared tractive forces.
With 2WD the limit for 'slip angle' is reached at a lower speed. :sunot:

Your arguement is only valid if you're driving at the limit of the traction between rubber and wet asphalt/concrete. In which case, having 4wd doesn't make it any safer to be driving in the rain, you're already driving like an azzhole if you need all 4 wheels powered to keep it on the road in wet conditions.

And actually since for the very reason you can't drive it in 4wd on dry surfaces, because it will bind, should allow you to realize this is because it needs to be able to slip on lose surfaces so it doesn't bind while turning. You have maximum traction when things aren't slipping. As soon as you break a tire loose you lose your static friction with the pavement and only have kinetic friction which is drastically reduced value.

So back to your invalid arguement about 4wd in the rain and safety? lol :Rant:

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no center differential in the Raptor. That is why you can NOT use it on dry surfaces!

If you want to drive like a ****** nozzle in 4WD on the street. To race and corner like a WRX, then go ahead... It is then Raptor Natural selection and no one will shed a tear when you hand grenade your driveline..

-Greg

Last edited:

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yep that last part is the key. Needing to use it and wanting to use it. I've used mine a decent amount when I hit some offroading every now and then, because I figure probably good to exercise the stuff every now and then anyway, but times I've needed to use it are much less frequent.

I think this is all key.....wanting and needing. We get calls all the time about people breaking there drive shafts & front end parts ect while they were out playing, and I bet there was not even a reason for 4wd. Operating in 4wd requires you to think differently when driving through or over things. When the front wheels have power to them and you push around a turn on a sticky surface, through ditches or over things parts can be stressed in a different way then when the rear end is driving the power and the front is free wheeling. So few situations on a general percentage level "actually require" 4wd. Driving in 4wd can serve consequences, or in simple terms "require" you to open your wallet if not used properly!!

ICON Vehicle Dynamics

www.iconvehicledynamics.com
www.facebook.com/ivdsuspension

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad use to say because tires are worn to different sizes and when they all want to turn at the same speed, that puts stress on the frame and driveline and basically the truck is fighting itself. Basically, if the fronts turn faster, the frame is bent upwards kinda, along with the drive line.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your arguement is only valid if you're driving at the limit of the traction between rubber and wet asphalt/concrete. In which case, having 4wd doesn't make it any safer to be driving in the rain, you're already driving like an azzhole if you need all 4 wheels powered to keep it on the road in wet conditions.

And actually since for the very reason you can't drive it in 4wd on dry surfaces, because it will bind, should allow you to realize this is because it needs to be able to slip on lose surfaces so it doesn't bind while turning. You have maximum traction when things aren't slipping. As soon as you break a tire loose you lose your static friction with the pavement and only have kinetic friction which is drastically reduced value.

So back to your invalid arguement about 4wd in the rain and safety? lol :Rant:

What I've highlighted in your statement is exactly your point & my point.
And in my first response, I was specific about driving in Heavy Rain, Not Dry Roads, not light rain.
Even the manual states 4WD in "slippery road conditions". Not rain, but Heavy Downpour rain, or snow, slush.
Read up on Slip Angle. It's physics. Except if you decide to read about slip angle,
be advised that the author will probably speak of centrifugal force and that is incorrect.
The correct term is centripetal force.The science behind the forces supports what I've said.
This thead may be about Dry Road Conditions, but my response was to using 4WD in "Slippery Road Conditions"
The limit of traction between tire and road surface can be at a very slow speed under slippery conditions
and Slip Angle can make the difference of Control vs Loss of Control.