Trans leak, CEL on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ThrillSeeker24
Reaction score
Man this forum is great. Thanks again for responses. Definitely should wipe transmission and see if it repeats

As for heat shields, I checked manifolds and cats but not drive shaft. That's a good place to look

I pulled these codes today on my cheap little Amazon code reader btw. Which now really confuses me because, why did they occur? Truck is bone stock. There is definitely a slight miss at idle, but I'm not sure if it's just the way the 6.2 is, or if there's a problem. Will probably need to check plugs soon

Attachments

• 20240216_192504.jpg
    20240216_192504.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240216_192512.jpg
    20240216_192512.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 13

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like your cats might be blown and sounds like you havent check your fluid level yet bc its a PITA. Buy a dipstick before you start trying to add and check fluid level.

Tranny and cat problems. Maybe try to back out of deal if possible

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man this forum is great. Thanks again for responses. Definitely should wipe transmission and see if it repeats

As for heat shields, I checked manifolds and cats but not drive shaft. That's a good place to look

I pulled these codes today on my cheap little Amazon code reader btw. Which now really confuses me because, why did they occur? Truck is bone stock. There is definitely a slight miss at idle, but I'm not sure if it's just the way the 6.2 is, or if there's a problem. Will probably need to check plugs soon
IMO Old left over codes? That might not be cleared?
Looks like your cats might be blown and sounds like you havent check your fluid level yet bc its a PITA. Buy a dipstick before you start trying to add and check fluid level.

Tranny and cat problems. Maybe try to back out of deal if possible
Like me I think you got a smoking good deal on the truck. ( I paid the same) I am capable of doing all the work needed. I fixed the obvious problem first. (rear end) ... I am at the "Start Fresh" phase cleared all the codes cleaned the air filter, mass air sensor, now see where things go. I will do the plugs and coil packs, injectors, soon. Then trans pan, filter, cooler,......... by then I should need shocks. I have a set to rebuild. (my self) That should complete the "Strat fresh" Now I can move to anything tune, and other upgrades with some confidence.
My point is if you can do the work yourself. It worth keeping the truck. Fix the problems then you know what you got.........OR go spend $35k on one with no apparent problems and find out in 15k miles that you have to do some of the same things anyway.

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The codes are "new" and prolly cleared before buying. Lots of time cat codes arent actually the cats but certainly could still be.

The noises could also either be IWEs or shocks

and if you drop the trans pan change out the valve body electrical connector that eventually leaks

Last edited:

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cat codes... exhaust leaks..?
Son's focus just had that.
Used to call it the "fart car" exhaust leak ahead of the O2 sensors set off codes.
Or an O2 sensor?
I have had a couple other vehicles that the sensors set off codes, went away when replaced?

Do gotta say... don't know if I would be diving in so deep with an unknown truck in your situation.
Things could go well, but if you put a bunch of work into it and find major issues I would be upset in your shoes.
AND, surely the dealer isn't going to do anything besides push blame your way after you touch things.
Good luck.
Proceed with care.

OP
OP
ThrillSeeker24
Reaction score
Totally understand all sides of this. If I wasn't the "car person" I am, no way I'd continue. Weirdly enough, the thought of pulling the transmission doesn't phase me at all.

One thing at a time tho. I can see the original owner cared about the truck based on the car fax dealer service intervals as well as the clear paint protective film on the hood, bumper/fenders, and even mirrors and turn signals. However owner 2 definitely didn't give a hoot and beat it up apparently lol. The body is wildly clean for a northern truck, it was clearly kept up with over the years.

Weather's been pretty crappy in Ohio these past few days so, I haven't had the desire to go out in the cold and look things over more. I may have a lift, 80 gallon compressor, 5 tool boxes and 2 welders, but I don't have a heater haha. One day I keep telling myself...

Will keep this updated as I go. Thanks again for all the help and input

OP
OP
ThrillSeeker24
Reaction score
Just an update:

Weather was finally decent enough for me to go out to the garage and work. While doing fuse 27 last night, I decided to pull 2 random plugs and check them over. Pulled one on the top of driver side, and one from bottom on passenger side. They both looked damn near new, and both gauged out at 41. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the other 14 are likely new as well. Which I'm not complaining about because, good lord 2 or 3 of them on the bottom look like nightmares haha

As for trans leak, I pulled the dipstick and it was over filled a good bit. I'm thinking, somehow, I got crazy lucky and whoever changed it over filled it. Is it okay to leave like that or should I go ahead and change it and fill properly? It looks new as well, so unless it's gonna ruin that pump seal (if it hasn't already) I'm probably going to leave it alone

As for CEL, well that went away with having the battery un plugged for fuse 27 lol but I'm sure it'll be back. I put mid grade fuel in instead of 87, seems to run a bit smoother. Which makes me wonder if there is some kind of tune on the truck set at 91/93. I have a spare sct x4 sitting around somewhere but I can't find it. If I do ill just plug it in and that will tell me if there's a tune or not. Did that on my old 6.0 powerstroke

Will update as I go, but figured I'd update in case anyone stumbles across this thread from a Google search

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why not try some 91/93 octane and see how it does. As far as the tranny over fill, not good to run like that. i would do a complete drain and refill to your specs and see how it does. How is the fluid itself, discoloration ect… Sounds like a nice truck. I miss my 14. Have a 10 Scab now. Love it also.

OP
OP
ThrillSeeker24
Reaction score
Yeah I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. Truck seems to like the higher octane fuel. I've never had a vehicle gain mpg between grades (non boosted of course). I was averaging 12.4-12.5 on 87 and currently at 13.2-13.3 on 89 haha. Not a crazy amount but still, noticeable difference

Trans fluid honestly looks brand new. That fresh mercon red. I have a pump that I used for my old 6.0 transmission, I'll use that and suck out the excess and get it down where it belongs

And thanks man yeah it is, considering it came from Saskatchewan Canada lol. That owner must have really taken good care of it. The 2010 scab is what started it all, so that's awesome to own that piece of offroad truck history

Guardrail

Reaction score
Make sure your trans is at the correct temperature when you check it after changing it. I think it has to be around 197 degrees. I think that's the temperature the thermostat in the trans opens to let the fluid travel through the trans cooler. Someone correct me if I have the temps wrong.