Trans leak, CEL on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Well, didn't take long for me to notice issues with my new-to-me gen 1 lol. It started to develop what I can best describe as a "rattle" from under the truck somewhere. Sounds like something metallic being rattled around by the exhaust gas/vibration. It's only under acceleration - not at idle. And even then, it's not noticeable if the radio is on.

From research I've done on here, I almost feel like it's the cat(s), but there's no rotten egg smell, and no power loss that I can tell

Last night my CEL came on while my wife was driving it for the first time She didn't want me to drive it to work today but, I did it anyway haha. Gonna plug a scanner into it after work but for now it's just eating me up trying to figure out what's going on

As for the transmission, I know these 6r80s are great transmissions, but can also be huge piles of sheit. I have one for a mustang sitting in my garage if I need any internal parts that are the same or whatnot. But it's leaking at the bell housing which I've heard could be the pump seal, or converter leaking. Doesn't appear to be bulkhead seal leak... Thoughts on that?

I just got the truck 2 days ago, and these issues are annoying. Not sure the place I bought it from will even care to be honest, but wife is gonna call them today and let them know what's going on and see what they say. I can do and likely will do all the work myself but man, pulling a transmission after 2 days of ownership seems crazy. Here's a pic of the leak. Any advice on either problem would be greatly appreciated. Yes, I'm an idiot for not noticing this. I was more worried about other things I was told to look out for

Truck is a 2013 with 145k

Attachments

• 20240214_183519.jpg
    20240214_183519.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 38

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hard to say what some of those issues really are from here...
But A little time underneath and grabbing hold of exhaust and stuff near it might help narrow possibilities down.
If not, hanging a go pro to see if anything shows under acceleration may help.
Due to the location, first guess would be front seal on transmission and/or convertor, but....
maybe just maybe...
dealer or someone recently serviced, changed fluid, filled or overfilled the transmission.
I would spend a little time checking level and keeping an eye on it prior to getting too carried away and tearing into anything in case it was something simpler and easier.
Good luck with repairs

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Hard to say what some of those issues really are from here...
But A little time underneath and grabbing hold of exhaust and stuff near it might help narrow possibilities down.
If not, hanging a go pro to see if anything shows under acceleration may help.
Due to the location, first guess would be front seal on transmission and/or convertor, but....
maybe just maybe...
dealer or someone recently serviced, changed fluid, filled or overfilled the transmission.
I would spend a little time checking level and keeping an eye on it prior to getting too carried away and tearing into anything in case it was something simpler and easier.
Good luck with repairs
This is a great point. These trans require a special fill procedure that many wont do. Take it to ford and have them check it out. And I hate saying that.

OR return it to the dealer, more gen 1's out there.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your Raptor has issues so early in the purchase. Do you have a x number of days to return in your purchase agreement? If so, just threating the dealer with it may spur them on to fix it.

OP
OP
ThrillSeeker24
Reaction score
Appreciate the responses guys. I actually went to check the transmission fluid level last night but totally forgot it's under that plug. Was looking like a fool searching for a dipstick in the engine bay hahaha. I'll hop under after work and check the level warm

As far as dealer return policy, I'm not sure on that yet. Wife's going to call them soon and find out what they're willing to do. Threatening with a return seems like a great idea to get things going in the right direction

I'm gonna tap around on the exhaust while I'm under it and see if I hear any rattling inside the cat. I've seen many cats in my time and know that material doesn't move around in there

4wd is definitely a possibility. Suppose I need to look into those plastic lines and see if they broke

It's funny, I've had this thing 2 days and already love it even with its issues. I paid $22k for it so I expected to do some work on it. Just hoping it doesn't turn into too much lol

OP
OP
ThrillSeeker24
Reaction score
Wife just got off the phone with the dealer and they want us to bring it in next week when we're off to look at it. She said the guy sounded concerned which is good. We'll see what happens lol. I'm still going to check the fluid level tho

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Try wiping the transmission fluid off, cleaning up, getting it all dry, then see if it returns. My luck wouldn't allow it to be a one time spill or splash...hopefully things could go better for you though.

When my IWE lines were bad it did sound like two gears trying to mesh but not quite getting together. Shifting into 4WD would make it stop.
Temporary fix was unplugging the actuating solenoid and letting them stay engaged.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A loose heat shield would cause a rattle. Theres 1 over the front driveshaft, 1 over each cat, & 1 above the exhaust in back. Those bolts can be hard to reach, so maybe they weren't tightened properly. And pull samples from the engine and trans asap for lab analysis from someone like Blackstone Laboratories, it's money well spent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter