Why no 4x4 on dry pavement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sniperm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay.. can some one tell me why? not to 4x4 on dry pavement?

why would it break anything? cuz of the soft suspension??

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because of a lack of a center diff. Just like you need a differential in your axles because wheels turn at different speed during a turn, your front and rear axles also turn at different speeds. The lack of a center diff means they cannot spin at different speeds, causing them to bind up.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Google is your friend:

"If you own a vehicle with part time 4WD the need for different rpm front and rear represents a major problem. The transfer case will power the front and rear drive shafts with same rpm and is not able to satisfy the front axle's need for more rpm. Remember, the combined rpm of front wheels (A+B) is higher than the combined rpm of the rear wheels (C+D). Only full time 4WD systems are able to negotiate the needs of front and rear.
So, with part time 4WD engaged your front wheels are forced by good traction on the ground to rotate faster than the rear - but since the front drive shaft delivers only the same rpm as to the rear there is a fight between front wheels and rotational force coming from the front drive shaft. The front drive shaft in effect tries to slow down the front wheels. This results in very wide turns (understeer) and dangerous handling on pavement.

The name "part time" derives from its use. It can only be used part of the time - most of the time (for most uses) it has to remain in 2WD. Only "full time" - notice the name - can be used full time for all uses.

The fight between front wheels and transfer case also makes 4WD performance suffer - in a turn the front wheels are not pulling like they should. They are in effect hindered by the front drive shaft.

The slowing effect caused by front wheels stresses all components between wheels and the transfer case. It causes mechanical components to bind instead of moving freely - this situation is called "axle binding" ,"driveline binding" or "driveline wind up". First indicators while driving is a hard steering feel and the vehicle displaying jerky movement. Shifting back to 2WD will become impossible (gears and levers are extremely forced together). Continued 4WD use on dry surfaces will cause the weakest links to break (U-Joints, axles, differential gears, transfer case gears and chains, bearings, drive shafts)."

4WD_turn.jpg

Link to more:
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html

OP
OP
sniperm

sniperm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah.. I was confused..

audis and suburs and thought y cant we do it..

thanx for educatiing me..

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Maybe he's confused between part-time 4WD and AWD systems which are on all the time (or can be).

I thought it was all the same... Lol

So In rain 2wd..? heavy rain..2wd..?

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah.. I was confused..

audis and suburs and thought y cant we do it..

thanx for educatiing me..

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

I thought it was all the same... Lol

So In rain 2wd..? heavy rain..2wd..?

Yes. You might be able to get away with it in heavy rain but i wouldn't chance it. Plus there's no need. 4wd helps you get going, it does nothing to help you stop.

OP
OP
sniperm

sniperm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was worried what if it was raining or slush on the streets and no all wheel drive.. would be dangerous not to use the 4Hi.. I do have a heavy foot.. :)

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4X4H is recommended for slippery conditions and
heavy rain is a slippery condition. Especially when your tread is down 50%.
Not using it in these conditions is Less safe.

Last edited:

KBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snowy roads are ok to run 4 high, it still won't help you stop much better. any rainy roads should be easily traversed in 2wd. If it is to the point of hydroplaning, 2 or 4wd won't save your ass. When the roads are bad, you have to drive accordingly, (slow down) if not you may have a few good pucker moments. It will be a good excuse to start on some of those mods when you have to start rebuilding after a crash.