GEN 2 Quality Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_M_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have gt350 and the rear bumper is sagging so badly it's going to have to be replaced, and this is happening to the vast majority of the gt350s.

What year GT350. My 16 started to sag as well. I don't have it anymore, but ordering an 18. It seems they resolved that issue with the 17's. I don't hear of any 17 owners mentioning that, so it seems like they solved whatever was the issue, but to your point QC is terrible.

I mentioned on my delivery post for my Raptor about the poor paint, but since then have found several more things. It's with Ford now.

derekg1988

Reaction score
What year GT350. My 16 started to sag as well. I don't have it anymore, but ordering an 18. It seems they resolved that issue with the 17's. I don't hear of any 17 owners mentioning that, so it seems like they solved whatever was the issue, but to your point QC is terrible.

I mentioned on my delivery post for my Raptor about the poor paint, but since then have found several more things. It's with Ford now.

What you all found with your truck. The paint, etc

stealthfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all car manufactures have issues, you guys just dont see them since we dont watch those forums etc. just get the dealer to fix it and move on. nothing is perfect. even high end exotics have issues, just the nature of the game.

_M_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all car manufactures have issues, you guys just dont see them since we dont watch those forums etc. just get the dealer to fix it and move on. nothing is perfect. even high end exotics have issues, just the nature of the game.

There's issues, and then there's issues. Every manufacturer has them and most people posting here are getting them addressed fairly easily. Having a list of items for future owners to be on the lookout for will hopefully help them avoid having to go through the same thing and catch it early.

For the more serious issues, hopefully Ford catches those and can address the process so future owners don't have to deal with them.

VortexTed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to Waldorf Ford in Maryland to test drive and possibly purchase a new Raptor today. The truck was very comfortable but I felt a shudder when accelerating from a stop in normal mode. In sport mode the shudder went away. I wasn't sure if it was the transmission shifting causing it. The rust on the rear differential and the front half shafts is disappointing to see on a 68k dollar truck. The sealant on the drip rails on the roof looked like a 5 year old applied it. Is the skid plate unpainted aluminum? It looked like it was covered in oxidation.

Wow...those cars back east really take a beating from the weather and salt on the roads. That would be so disappointing to buy a 70K truck and see all that rust before you get it off the lot. i've seen a lot of posts of Raptors with rust from all the trucks that were held up for a couple of months during the original fiasco.

Bassman

Reaction score
Hood latch triggering on its own?

The only problem I have had after driving mine for almost a month is that the hood latch has triggered on its own 3 separate times as I was driving down the road. I got a warning light, pulled over to shut it, and then no problems for several days later. Wondering if the latch spring is too loose, allowing too much play in the latch. I plan on taking it to the dealer when I get a chance. Anyone else having this issue? I looked on the forum, but didn't see anyone else mention it.

OP
OP
Bark beetle

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem I have had after driving mine for almost a month is that the hood latch has triggered on its own 3 separate times as I was driving down the road. I got a warning light, pulled over to shut it, and then no problems for several days later. Wondering if the latch spring is too loose, allowing too much play in the latch. I plan on taking it to the dealer when I get a chance. Anyone else having this issue? I looked on the forum, but didn't see anyone else mention it.

Would you like me to add it to the list on the first post? I think most of those are one offs but they can give buyers the general idea of details or obvious things to look at when getting their truck. I know I was in a bit of a hurry and should have been more careful in my initial inspection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TheTip247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found I had an oil leak so I took it in. Tech found that both the oil and tranny pan were leaking. Replaced oil pan and gasket and replaced just the gasket on the tranny pan. Tech made the comment that it seemed that some of the tranny pan bolts were "loose".

ManfromSnowyRiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see the double whammy here of new model and extremely pour quality control. I last purchased vehicles new in 2005 and it was a crazy time. The Titan was brand new(although had way fewer problems then the Gen 2 Raptor). But more interesting, a capable off-road SUV had not been made for many years, all the sudden Xterra, Rubicon, the smallest Hummer, FJ all rolled out at once in a few years to fill a huge gap, NONE properly tested. Exploding Transmissions, Diffs, bad suspensions, front ends falling off, fires.....It was bad. But Ford had years to develop and test, so this is un-called for. Not to mention how expensive this vehicle is.

Hagasan41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see the double whammy here of new model and extremely pour quality control. I last purchased vehicles new in 2005 and it was a crazy time. The Titan was brand new(although had way fewer problems then the Gen 2 Raptor). But more interesting, a capable off-road SUV had not been made for many years, all the sudden Xterra, Rubicon, the smallest Hummer, FJ all rolled out at once in a few years to fill a huge gap, NONE properly tested. Exploding Transmissions, Diffs, bad suspensions, front ends falling off, fires.....It was bad. But Ford had years to develop and test, so this is un-called for. Not to mention how expensive this vehicle is.

Good post! I'm familiar with the Titan and still have my 2005 that's been trouble free. Of course I addressed most of the known problems with upgraded parts.

Yes, Ford uses the F150 platform. The Raptor is built on the same line and shouldn't have been released without stronger testing and better QC measures.