GEN 2 Quality Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
Not to make light of the QC concerns, but there is a high amount of “rationalization” that occurs with new purchases that both somewhat blinds us to faults and at the same time makes us hypersensitive to what we perceive as our particular standards.

Tires are a well talked about topic in the depths of motorcycle internet fora. It’s common for someone to ask ‘what tires should I get for my abcxyz2000RR? Inevitably, someone will come in with ‘I replaced my Michelin with Dunlop or Bridgestone with Pirelli, etc. and the new tires are VASTLY SUPERIOR in every way to the old tires.

Of course, what the poster isn’t telling you is that his old tires sat on the bike for 7 years and had been heat cycled over 700 times, so .... yeah, the new tires stick way better but because he’s gotten used to the handling of the well worn hoops, he’s adapted to their characteristics over time. Now the new tires allow him to not compensate for severely degraded traction that came from over 700 heat cycles, and belts showing through the rubber.

Then, he will go into how he never liked those old tires, they never stuck very well.

Dig up his old posts though and the story can be a bit ... different. Except you can’t because 7 years ago he was playing call of duty and wondering why he couldn’t get a date with another human being.

On the other end of the spectrum, your old vehicle may have done some things really well and you grew used to it over time. My old Subaru had heated seats, they were warm within 15 seconds, and hot within 2 minutes. I think they’re warmer than my Raptor seats. Are they? Maybe, or maybe I’m perceiving the Raptor as deficient in this regard because the Soob was pretty good at that.

Now, that’s not to say broken trim, missing bolts, wrong trim level parts and similar are excusable at this price point - or any price point for that matter. I’m just trying to point out that new Raptor owners will go through a little confirmation bias for a while.

I posted a 4 page sheet of stuff Ford “addressed” before releasing my truck. it was telling, and I’m glad they caught it. It makes me wonder how some of the stuff mentioned here was missed.

You always have a way of explaining things smurf!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrappy Doo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an exhaust rattle. Found out it's the bracket that attaches the hangers to the hitch. Passenger side bolts were super loose and the driver's side bolts and backer plate are completely gone.

New parts on order from dealer.

Not a big deal, and I'm not freaking out about it. Just in case others have it.

brian0128

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to Waldorf Ford in Maryland to test drive and possibly purchase a new Raptor today. The truck was very comfortable but I felt a shudder when accelerating from a stop in normal mode. In sport mode the shudder went away. I wasn't sure if it was the transmission shifting causing it. The rust on the rear differential and the front half shafts is disappointing to see on a 68k dollar truck. The sealant on the drip rails on the roof looked like a 5 year old applied it. Is the skid plate unpainted aluminum? It looked like it was covered in oxidation.

16010f105bb95caa8d3de003a19cbbfc.jpg820cdf360f84994e530c7a8fd102d4ca.jpg47ed40d1541747d7e5d8876e4a6381ef.jpg8f11cacb6a2933dea918faa3ab972db1.jpg8f8e4549022e0159039f94726bccf21b.jpg0497c3ff0d389d9676f8b1236f4e6ff5.jpg4439a49cdb34e7a7b3bed853c7f1b64c.jpg850b35db2168c69b36c595a0a55b36c7.jpg77cb048b49f266ca8eb23956c20b1eaa.jpg

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Waldorf

Waldorf bought McWilliams Ford in Indian Head, and I used to live right across the street from them. Very convenient to get work done on my Mustangs. After I did, asked the guy who worked on my Mustang for an intro to someone who wouldn’t get greedy on me to buy my Lightning. I got a great deal and a good offer on the Mustang I traded.

I had many dealings with them over the years and my impressions were good. If you’re serious about buying, they’ll address what you want taken care of.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That rust... wow. I don't even see it like this on my 10 year old Dodge.

Santiago

Reaction score
my cameras went straight wacky shack

Attachments

• IMG_2424.PNG
    IMG_2424.PNG
    431.5 KB · Views: 142
OP
OP
Bark beetle

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to make light of the QC concerns, but there is a high amount of “rationalization” that occurs with new purchases that both somewhat blinds us to faults and at the same time makes us hypersensitive to what we perceive as our particular standards.

Tires are a well talked about topic in the depths of motorcycle internet fora. It’s common for someone to ask ‘what tires should I get for my abcxyz2000RR? Inevitably, someone will come in with ‘I replaced my Michelin with Dunlop or Bridgestone with Pirelli, etc. and the new tires are VASTLY SUPERIOR in every way to the old tires.

Of course, what the poster isn’t telling you is that his old tires sat on the bike for 7 years and had been heat cycled over 700 times, so .... yeah, the new tires stick way better but because he’s gotten used to the handling of the well worn hoops, he’s adapted to their characteristics over time. Now the new tires allow him to not compensate for severely degraded traction that came from over 700 heat cycles, and belts showing through the rubber.

Then, he will go into how he never liked those old tires, they never stuck very well.

Dig up his old posts though and the story can be a bit ... different. Except you can’t because 7 years ago he was playing call of duty and wondering why he couldn’t get a date with another human being.

On the other end of the spectrum, your old vehicle may have done some things really well and you grew used to it over time. My old Subaru had heated seats, they were warm within 15 seconds, and hot within 2 minutes. I think they’re warmer than my Raptor seats. Are they? Maybe, or maybe I’m perceiving the Raptor as deficient in this regard because the Soob was pretty good at that.

Now, that’s not to say broken trim, missing bolts, wrong trim level parts and similar are excusable at this price point - or any price point for that matter. I’m just trying to point out that new Raptor owners will go through a little confirmation bias for a while.

I posted a 4 page sheet of stuff Ford “addressed” before releasing my truck. it was telling, and I’m glad they caught it. It makes me wonder how some of the stuff mentioned here was missed.

I really appreciated you posting the 4 page sheet.

I live over an hour away from the dealer and I know I am not alone on that so the more someone can roll through a checklist of these issues at or before purchase it might help their buying experience go smoother with less return visits. I have at least one more because of the hood and they didn't get the correct hardware to mount the skid plates. Not sure who made the mistake on that one, doesn't matter. Because I am far away from the dealer it also means I am going to sit there while the work is done as it doesn't make sense to go back and forth unless they needed it for days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've sent an official letter to Ford once about their quality control. Out of the American market ford has some of the best engineered trucks and vehicles, but the QC for all their vehicles is so bad. I had a motor blow up after taking delivery of a 2012 mustang 5.0 and I wrote to them about it, they replaced my motor and gave me 5k towards a supercharger through ford performance!!! Needless to say, I've owned virtually every other truck and sports car from the American manufactures in the last 5 years and the QC of Ford is dog shit. They need to fire their QC directors/leads and hire the people from chevy (LOL IMO chevy builds some ugly trucks, but i've never had one issue with them off a dealership). I hope the ford guys actually troll these forums to see what what their customers are saying. I currently have gt350 and the rear bumper is sagging so badly it's going to have to be replaced, and this is happening to the vast majority of the gt350s.