GPS--how useful?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm trying to catch up on this thread guys. If I have a 16 gb Samsung Galaxy that I could dedicate to only using it with MotionX or Gaia GPS, would it work? The way I'm understanding is that I wouldn't need an external gps antenna because it has one built in. Am I correct?

you are correct.

You would also have to pre-cache the maps for the area you are planning to use.

With the android your choices are Back Country navigator, or Gaia gps.

Both are great

LindsayEOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Huck. Would I need the cellular connection as well or would the wifi work?

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cellular you don't need. Just need a gps module. With iPads the gps only comes on the cellular versions. Not sure on android devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would recommend the garmin GLO bluetooth module, its a little pricy but supports both the GPS and GLONASS constellations for faster initial location and more accurate positioning.

LindsayEOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks T_J and Huck. Since this Galaxy is free, I may just try it out and buy that garmin GLO to go with it. I will let everyone know what I find out.

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive downloaded maps on the GAIA ap on my iPads and they are pretty easy to figure out. the detail is great and I may run one at havoc.. (thanks to Huck's suggestions)

I did end up installing the HDS 7 and i have to say it looks great in the truck, overkill, yes but man it looks good.

I'm going to configure the iPad mini and a handheld garmin I have and give em all a quick trial...

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dibs on the 7

Does your mini have cellular? Looking at the Gaia app as well.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A note you only have to purchase the Gaia app. You do not need to use the pay service. I have both Gaia and motionx. Used Gaia solely for Ardd and won't be going back to motionx

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dibs on the 7

Does your mini have cellular? Looking at the Gaia app as well.

it does, but I just bought the garmin GLO so I'm covered if there is no cell service where i happen to be using the iPad...

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

A note you only have to purchase the Gaia app. You do not need to use the pay service. I have both Gaia and motionx. Used Gaia solely for Ardd and won't be going back to motionx

Huck, your point about Lowrance not showing existing trails, roads and such is very true. having driven for a few days now with the HDS 7...as I said I like how it looks, and I use the info screen which works like a HUD.

On a raptor run i could see running the trail once, saving the trail on the GPS and then when running future times having it as a map so see upcoming turns and such..but its expensive for that...

Jury is still out, my wife loves how it looks so the decision may already be made..

Ill get back to y'all on the iPad mini when I get that mounted up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DehydratedSurfer

Latest posts