How Does Service Typically Work For Warrantied Raptors? (New Ford Owner)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mobilefordtechjosh

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s your responsibility to be educated on your cars warranty everything is there for you to call them on BS diagnostics fees. If you bring your vehicle in be cause something isn’t legitimately wrong. You shouldn’t be suprised about paying for the techs time. Some of us work hard and spend years refining our craft and spend big money on tools. That’s what the 1-2hrs of diag pays for.
I mean... not for nothing, but these stories are straight from FRF- you are free to search for them yourself. Sadly, a good tech and the dealership is the exception now, and not the norm. The number of ’17-early ’18 oil pan repairs that went south because the techs just couldn’t or wouldn’t follow the repair procedure are LEGION - again, searchable, right here on FRF.
Are we painting stealerships with a broad brush?

View attachment 440500

Have stealership service departments across the USA earned this bad rap?

View attachment 440501

Are we bitter?
yeah... a bit.

It’s like the pride in workmanship has degraded. In the late 90’s, I lived 3 houses from a Ford stealership - bought my ’01 Lightning there. but before that they worked on 2 of my Mustangs. 2 techs were regulars at Budd’s Creek and regularly wrenched for other drag racers and they helped me out on many a mod. They were a small, independent dealer and got bought by a bigger one but the techs remained and I eventually moved out. I definitely missed them and never found as solid a relationship.

I’ve had mixed results and have been lowering my expectations since. STILL WAY better than tire shops and fly by night, quickie maintenance places though.

Where were you 5 years ago... I mean I wasn’t too awful far from Ourisman, but who knew there was mobile service?
You should make a post, lots of southern MD and NoVA FRF and I’d bet they’d rather work with another FRF.
I agree that workmanship has degraded over the years. A lot of blame for that is the coming generations that have made their way into this field and lack of ownership or pride. I deal with a lot of come backs in the field sadly from my own dealership and others. It’s typically things that are over looked due to lack of attention to detail. Battery dead after a service cause the tech didn’t test it. Oil filters leaking on new engine installs cause they assumed it was good. Stupid stuff. Mis diagnosed misfires. Replaced a coil and plug and overlooked the chewed up wire. Not all techs at our shop are bad however I don’t wanna name people. If someone does wanna reach out they can I am not on here to chase work down. However I can show up in my mobile service truck and the dealership has given me permission to operate Buisness out of my home garage. I am paid hourly not commission based what so ever.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s your responsibility to be educated on your cars warranty everything is there for you to call them on BS diagnostics fees. If you bring your vehicle in be cause something isn’t legitimately wrong. You shouldn’t be suprised about paying for the techs time. Some of us work hard and spend years refining our craft and spend big money on tools. That’s what the 1-2hrs of diag pays for.

200.gif
Yeah definitely wasn't talking about bringing it in for something not legitimately wrong. I also said I understand why the diagnostic fee exists. But...especially back in the parts shortage days it was far too easy to just say nope not covered. Also putting a truck on a lift and seeing a broken front diff (issue I had) and saying sorry ....doesn't cost 150 bucks in tools and labor especially when i told them exactly what was wrong with it.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all - my new '23 Raptor is my first Ford and with ~4k miles I haven't taken it for service yet (nor ever had service at a Ford dealership).

Obviously, since it's new and warrantied I'm curious how service charges generally work.

For example - if I bring it in for routine maintenance - oil change, tire rotation, etc. - I assume that's an additional charge right, since that's not something broken which warranty would cover.

However, let's say I bring it in for something like the backup camera not working, or AC not blowing hard - will I generally pay for a service appointment, but if something is broken they'll cover it via warranty?

Finally, if they have to keep the truck to fix something - do they generally give loaners.

Currently have two small issues with the truck - bed camera often turns blue, especially in extremely hot weather. And AC, once in a while not blowing hard at all (like it's on, but almost no air coming out - altho guessing its from evaporator coils freezing since if I turn it to hot and then back it fixes).

Thank you all for answers in advance!
I can’t decide if this is a legit post… The warranty works just like it does with any other vehicle manufacturer you have owned your entire life.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can’t decide if this is a legit post… The warranty works just like it does with any other vehicle manufacturer you have owned your entire life.

Honestly........I have never owned a vehicle with a warranty. Although I do know how it works. And wouldn't ask a forum how it works. I have Driven JUNK all my life. Well nice junk. I have Never had warranty work done. EVER!!!!
if It breaks I fix it. I wouldn't know what it is like to have someone else fix my vehicle........I wonder what that is like?

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case I suggest you look over your warranty book. But simple answer is that all non routine maintenance is covered for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. You bring it the the dealership and they do the repairs (assuming they can diagnose the problem, much of the sarcasm you experienced is because dealers are notorious for not replicating problems you complain about) and do not charge you for labor or parts. Routine things like oil changes, tire rotation, air filters etc fall on you. However you are always best to have the delay so those thing as well while under warranty so they do not deny a claim by saying you failed to maintain the vehicle.