How Does Service Typically Work For Warrantied Raptors? (New Ford Owner)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m4torapt

Reaction score
Hey all - my new '23 Raptor is my first Ford and with ~4k miles I haven't taken it for service yet (nor ever had service at a Ford dealership).

Obviously, since it's new and warrantied I'm curious how service charges generally work.

For example - if I bring it in for routine maintenance - oil change, tire rotation, etc. - I assume that's an additional charge right, since that's not something broken which warranty would cover.

However, let's say I bring it in for something like the backup camera not working, or AC not blowing hard - will I generally pay for a service appointment, but if something is broken they'll cover it via warranty?

Finally, if they have to keep the truck to fix something - do they generally give loaners.

Currently have two small issues with the truck - bed camera often turns blue, especially in extremely hot weather. And AC, once in a while not blowing hard at all (like it's on, but almost no air coming out - altho guessing its from evaporator coils freezing since if I turn it to hot and then back it fixes).

Thank you all for answers in advance!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So, let’s say your Raptor AC is not blowing you to your satisfaction. You call the service department, make appointment.

They will turn the truck on, check for codes, find none, write up ticket and close with “NPF” which means no problem found.
Let’s say you hear a really bad engine knock, and the truck is really, really slow, and spewing blue smoke from the exhaust.

You schedule appointment.
Arrive on scheduled day. Next day you get notice come pick up the truck.

Ticket will say: “Checked customer concern, no DTC and NPF"
So basically, if there are no diagnostic trouble codes, they won’t do anything so, best not to bother unless you have a check engine light or malfunction indicator light constantly illuminated.

The Ford Stealerships generally do not give out loaner vehicles unless the stealership specifically advertises that policy. Even if you have an extended warranty, at best you can hope they might call a rental car agency for you, but more than likely they tell you to do it.

If you bring the truck in for service AND warranty work, you will pay for the service - oil change, etc. but not the warranty work.

hope this helps!

OP
OP
M

m4torapt

Reaction score
So, let’s say your Raptor AC is not blowing you to your satisfaction. You call the service department, make appointment.

They will turn the truck on, check for codes, find none, write up ticket and close with “NPF” which means no problem found.
Let’s say you hear a really bad engine knock, and the truck is really, really slow, and spewing blue smoke from the exhaust.

You schedule appointment.
Arrive on scheduled day. Next day you get notice come pick up the truck.

Ticket will say: “Checked customer concern, no DTC and NPF"
So basically, if there are no diagnostic trouble codes, they won’t do anything so, best not to bother unless you have a check engine light or malfunction indicator light constantly illuminated.

The Ford Stealerships generally do not give out loaner vehicles unless the stealership specifically advertises that policy. Even if you have an extended warranty, at best you can hope they might call a rental car agency for you, but more than likely they tell you to do it.

If you bring the truck in for service AND warranty work, you will pay for the service - oil change, etc. but not the warranty work.

hope this helps!
Thank you! Super helpful.

So even if your AC is outputting no air (hypothetically), and there are no codes showing up, they won't do anything about it?

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not unless there's a tsb about that specific issue.

Smurf's answer was pretty complete.

maybe @FordTechOne can help you with that issue.

I'm sure you have a smartphone. Try to video any issues. Maybe that will help with it not being repeatable when you get there.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
They are yanking your xxxx. They/most are better than that.
No, they’re not. Literally, less than 10% are more than code readers and note takers. Then you have the “oil and tire change” class of “ASE CERTIFIED” technicians. Folks you wouldn’t trust to sweep your driveway or do yard work for you but they’re wrenching on 6 figure trucks. Lastly you have the “level 3” techs, who are genuinely good at resolving problems. Sometimes not all of them but they’re good. The latter are rare.

Not all stealership service departments have a full complement of techs. My last stealership service was Ourisman Ford in NoVA. They had a large service department, big enough you could run a NASCAR team out of it. Not the biggest in NoVA but probably top 10, maybe top 5? Definitely had some good wrenches there for sure but not perfect. No sync guy, no moon roof repair guy - seriously! They contracted out ALL of the F series moonroof repairs to a local Mazda stealership! They did mostly good work but they did not quite excel on one of the door lock repairs. After the repair I had 2 doors that wouldn’t stay closed. They fixed before I left but still. and TBF, that was one issue out of probably ... three dozen maybe 4 dozen visits over 3 Fords.

But you can see all manner of evidence of cost cutting in service right here on FRF.
If you can’t replicate the problem, they do nothing.
More than that; even if you have video or photographic evidence some stealerships will still refuse to help. Ourisman was not like that, I had to bring in pictures once, they got a tech, he made some grunts, scratched his head and said ‘let me have a go at this. no promises’. IIRC he did come up with something the first try, but it took two tries and he got it.

Again, you can check FRF for some service departments that simply seem to look for reasons to do nothing. I realize we’re a small subset of users, but if you have an issue where there are no diagnostic codes, it will most likely be an uphill climb to get a resolution.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, they’re not. Literally, less than 10% are more than code readers and note takers. Then you have the “oil and tire change” class of “ASE CERTIFIED” technicians. Folks you wouldn’t trust to sweep your driveway or do yard work for you but they’re wrenching on 6 figure trucks. Lastly you have the “level 3” techs, who are genuinely good at resolving problems. Sometimes not all of them but they’re good. The latter are rare.

Not all stealership service departments have a full complement of techs. My last stealership service was Ourisman Ford in NoVA. They had a large service department, big enough you could run a NASCAR team out of it. Not the biggest in NoVA but probably top 10, maybe top 5? Definitely had some good wrenches there for sure but not perfect. No sync guy, no moon roof repair guy - seriously! They contracted out ALL of the F series moonroof repairs to a local Mazda stealership! They did mostly good work but they did not quite excel on one of the door lock repairs. After the repair I had 2 doors that wouldn’t stay closed. They fixed before I left but still. and TBF, that was one issue out of probably ... three dozen maybe 4 dozen visits over 3 Fords.

But you can see all manner of evidence of cost cutting in service right here on FRF.

More than that; even if you have video or photographic evidence some stealerships will still refuse to help. Ourisman was not like that, I had to bring in pictures once, they got a tech, he made some grunts, scratched his head and said ‘let me have a go at this. no promises’. IIRC he did come up with something the first try, but it took two tries and he got it.

Again, you can check FRF for some service departments that simply seem to look for reasons to do nothing. I realize we’re a small subset of users, but if you have an issue where there are no diagnostic codes, it will most likely be an uphill climb to get a resolution.
Not my experience, I have definitely had issues, nearly every visit. But, always a resolution in the end. I stand on, if they can or you can replicate the problem they normally fix it.

DaveInMn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple of really good dealers within about 40 minutes of me. I've had good experiences with both service departments. Both have "QuickLane" branded service where I get mine serviced. Costs me ~$55 for oil/filter change + tire rotation, battery, brakes, etc. Good luck...:happy160:

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Yeah, I think we’re only quibbling about the number of service departments willing to try vs. the ones who could and should improve.