How can I get a dealer to update my Sync4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an August 2022 build gen3 Raptor. The truck has never received any OTA Sync updates and always reports it is up to date, despite being connected to WiFi, etc. I would like to get full screen Carplay and whatever else has been added/fixed in the past 18 months.

I have called Ford's Sync customer service and they've confirmed the Sync software is out of date, but are unable to explain why the truck isn't seeing any OTA updates. They recommended I take it to a dealer.

The dealers are useless. I've now taken it three times to two different dealers, and connected one of them with Ford customer service. It's no use - the dealers at first just scan the truck and tell me the truck says it is up to date. "I know," I say, "that's the problem!" If I manage to overcome that initial obstacle, they'll then literally lie about things they did to try to diagnose / solve it and look for any excuse just to give the truck back. I am not sure what the story is here, maybe they don't get paid enough warranty hours to bother debugging this kind of software issue?

Most recently I just left the truck at a dealer for a week, got an email on Friday saying "Your truck is all set", and took an Uber down there this morning - only to find the truck un-updated and an explanation in the service receipt claiming (completely and obviously falsely) that the Ford Sync website says there is no update for the truck. Despite the fact that A) five minutes on the website shows that is false, B) Ford customer service called them and gave them the specific version number of the update the truck should have.

I'm getting really frustrated here. Any way to escalate this?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I have an August 2022 build gen3 Raptor. The truck has never received any OTA Sync updates and always reports it is up to date, despite being connected to WiFi, etc.

I have called Ford's Sync customer service and they've confirmed the Sync software is out of date, but are unable to explain why the truck isn't seeing any OTA updates. They recommended I take it to a dealer.

The dealers are useless. I've now taken it three times to two different dealers, and connected one of them with Ford customer service. It's no use - the dealers at first just scan the truck and tell me the truck says it is up to date. "I know," I say, "that's the problem!" If I manage to overcome that initial obstacle, they'll then literally lie about things they did to try to diagnose / solve it and look for any excuse just to give the truck back. I am not sure what the story is here, maybe they don't get paid enough warranty hours to bother debugging this kind of software issue?

Most recently I just left the truck at a dealer for a week, got an email on Friday saying "Your truck is all set", and took an Uber down there this morning - only to find the truck un-updated and an explanation in the service receipt claiming (completely and obviously falsely) that the Ford Sync website says there is no update for the truck. Despite the fact that A) five minutes on the website shows that is false, B) Ford customer service called them and gave them the specific version number of the update the truck should have.

I'm getting really frustrated here. Any way to escalate this?

No, there’s not. Is there some compelling feature you’re chasing here? Because honestly, it’s not generally worth spending a bunch of brainpower on. As you’ve seen, there’s limited if any actual “support” and they obviously don’t have an escalation path to the developers.

OP
OP
A

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Full-screen Carplay is the main thing. And (I am hoping) improved reliability with Carplay in general.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a field bulletin for an update to the gateway module software.
Customer Satisfaction Program 23B21

In the interest of customer satisfaction, Ford Motor Company has released new software for the Gateway Module. Your vehicle is capable of Ford software updates.
When Automatic Software Updates are turned ON or the Gateway Module has been reset, the software will be downloaded to your vehicle over a private wi-fi network or through your vehicle’s modem through the cellular network. The software installation will happen after the download.
Note: Refer to ford.com/support for further information on your Ford Software Updates system.
Should the software fail to load or install properly, Ford has authorized your dealer to install 4.2.1.2 Over-The-Air (OTA) software update, free of charge (parts and labor) under the terms of this program.
This Customer Satisfaction Program will be in effect until February 28, 2025, regardless of mileage. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

Attachments

• Customer Satisfaction Program 23B21.pdf
    159.4 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter