Advice on How to Proceed QUE THE BUYBACK!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’d love to hear everyone’s *constructive* advice on how to proceed with the dealer. I’d like to preface by saying that I’m typically not one to complain or cause a fuss, and I’m an attorney by profession so honestly the last thing I’d wanna do in my personal life is litigate. So to clarify, I am NOT going to actually start a buyback or lemon case.

My truck recently spent three weeks at the dealer for the following reasons with the following outcomes (in order of importance):

1.) pulsating vibration from front end felt in pedals and floor, starts at 50 mph. I’m confident it’s the front diff, likely pinion bearing failing as a few on here have had.

Result: dealer acknowledged issue, has no idea what’s causing it and not willing to change any parts. Threw their hands up, sent Ford a message and doesn’t know how to proceed.

2.) passenger door constantly clicks when opened and closed, see video. I’ve isolated this to the a pillar which actually flexes from the torque from the hinge and door check. Today I noticed one of the three bolts on the top hinge was loose and completely stripped but no damage to the threads. It seems like there’s some structural panel bond missing or some missing rivets or something on the passenger side of my cab because my running board creaks when I step on it on that side as well and you can feel the rocker flex.

Result: dealer acknowledges the issue and that the a pillar is flexing excessively. They can’t fix and would have to send to body shop. It sounds like the fix involves pulling the whole dash and reconstructing a pillar as if the truck were in an accident. I have a strong aversion to body shops.

3.) HVAC can’t regulate heat when ambient temps below 40. Recently went to mammoth with 20-35 temps and with HVAC on auto set all the way down to 60 it blows hot air and the cab becomes an oven. Bump it to LO and I get full AC. In temperate SoCal temps it operates normally.

Result: dealer can’t replicate issue. Doesn’t know how to fix and just messaged Ford and put their hands up.

4.) brake pedal makes clicking noise when depressed but not all the time. Mostly happens in stop and go traffic.

Result: dealer acknowledged issue, says it’s normal operation. Anyone else have this?

5.) truck occasionally says no key detected even though the key fob is in the cupholder or in my pocket. Has happened 2-3 times after driving for awhile then going into park and idling, can’t get it back into gear.

Result: dealer can't replicate issue. Messaged ford and gave up. I’m willing to give this one up because it’s only happened a few times, maybe a fluke.

6.) B pillar buzzing/fluttering sound from drivers window.

Result: dealer replaced drivers door glass weather seal, the only issue they actually resolved in 3 weeks!

Where do I go from here? What would any of you do?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here’s the bolt that came out of the passenger door hinge. There’s nothing in there for it to screw into, just keeps spinning.

Anyone know how I can upload a video?

IMG_8030.jpeg

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes bro. My 23 was doing #5 until I replaced the battery in the fob. I didn’t think the battery could be dead already, but it hasn’t done it since.

If you’re not interested or not ready for a buyback maybe try a different dealer? Or request a regional Ford rep get involved?

FTO might have better advice

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ll offer my perspective, having prevailed in a lemon law suit.

1) pulsating vibration from front end felt in pedals and floor, starts at 50 mph. I’m confident it’s the front diff, likely pinion bearing failing as a few on here have had.

Result: dealer acknowledged issue, has no idea what’s causing it and not willing to change any parts. Threw their hands up, sent Ford a message and doesn’t know how to proceed.
This would concern me more than a bit. I’d be engaged with Ford CS to seek out a new stealership for a more thorough analysis

2.) passenger door constantly clicks when opened and closed, see video. I’ve isolated this to the a pillar which actually flexes from the torque from the hinge and door check. Today I noticed one of the three bolts on the top hinge was loose and completely stripped but no damage to the threads. It seems like there’s some structural panel bond missing or some missing rivets or something on the passenger side of my cab because my running board creaks when I step on it on that side as well and you can feel the rocker flex.

Result: dealer acknowledges the issue and that the a pillar is flexing excessively. They can’t fix and would have to send to body shop. It sounds like the fix involves pulling the whole dash and reconstructing a pillar as if the truck was in an accident. I have a strong aversion to body shops.
That seems kind of annoying and given your follow up post it seems there’s a missing fastener.
it seems they’re willing to fix, under warranty. why the hesitation?

3.) HVAC can’t regulate heat when ambient temps below 40. Recently went to mammoth with 20-35 temps and with. HVAC on auto set all the way down to 60 it blows hot air and the cab becomes an oven. Bump it to LO and I get full AC. In temperate SoCal temps it operates normally.

Result: dealer can’t replicate issue. Doesn’t know how to fix and just messaged Ford and put their hands up.
Go where humans are meant to live?
did you try turning off the AC?

4.) brake pedal makes clicking noise when depressed but not all the time. Mostly happens in stop and go traffic.

Result: dealer acknowledged issue, says it’s normal operation. Anyone else have this?
Do you mean like a single click, like a brake switch activating? I gotta agree, sounds normal.

5.) truck occasionally says no key detected even though the key fob is in the cupholder or in my pocket. Has happened 2-3 times after driving for awhile then going into park and idling, can’t get it back into gear.

Result: dealer can't replicate issue. Messaged ford and gave up. I’m willing to give this one up because it’s only happened a few times, maybe a fluke.
This I would not let go. I’ve seen no key detected a bunch of times, transient, and goes right back to normal. 2x I’ve seen it persistent. 1x at some winery my wife dragged me to out in the hinterlands of Virginia. Yes, there are still hinterlands in VA where you should mind your manners, don’t id yourself as LE or a Fed, and NEVER mention the word ’still’. Just don’t. Anyway I couldn’t unlock the truck, had to use the key ( I forgot trying FordPass ), got in and had to use the fob slot backup.

2nd time here in TX, a firetruck pulled in to a gas station behind me, rendering the Fob inoperative. backup slot worked.
It’s all fun and games until you can’t start the almost 6 figure truck.

Result: dealer replaced drivers door glass weather seal, the only issue they actually resolved in 3 weeks!
SCORE!

First, ask yourself why you’re unhappy with the truck; you obviously are. The real question is why.
Have your eyes wandered to something else?
Has the truck ticked you off to the point you’re really getting fed up?
Was the ‘sales experience’ sub par ( not ADM shaming you here, but that can sour things quick )?
Some other issue with the truck you haven’t elaborated on?

I’ve definitely been in vehicles I wanted to be done with and i get it. You need to be honest with yourself though.
#’s 3, 4 & 6 seem trivial to me. You got a fix for 6, an offer to fix 2, and the HVAC issue I’m a bit less clear on.

For 2 & 6, take yes for an answer. Double down on the things that may resurface. 1 & 5 are significant to me, ask for more help.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yikes bro. My 23 was doing #5 until I replaced the battery in the fob. I didn’t think the battery could be dead already, but it hasn’t done it since.

If you’re not interested or not ready for a buyback maybe try a different dealer? Or request a regional Ford rep get involved?

FTO might have better advice
When my FOB batteries were going south, Lucille, born in 11/16, notified me via the main screen ‘key fob battery low’. I thought that was very thoughtful of her.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford Fobs enter sleep mode after a couple minutes if not moved. I’ve left mine in my bronco cup holder overnight in my garage. When I’ve gone out the next morning and open the bronco door, the vehicle comes to life…lights, dash, running boards deploy etc…I can climb in, hit the start button and nothing will happen. That’s when I remember the fob hasn’t moved inside the cup holder. I wiggle the fob a couple times, then hit start again and she fires up. It’s fords way of preventing someone from spoofing your fobs signal while in places like the gym, where your key may be locked in a locker. Or to prevent thieves from coming up to your front door, spoofing your key, then driving off in your ride while you sleep.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I’d love to hear everyone’s *constructive* advice on how to proceed with the dealer. I’d like to preface by saying that I’m typically not one to complain or cause a fuss, and I’m an attorney by profession so honestly the last thing I’d wanna do in my personal life is litigate. So to clarify, I am NOT going to actually start a buyback or lemon case.

My truck recently spent three weeks at the dealer for the following reasons with the following outcomes (in order of importance):

1.) pulsating vibration from front end felt in pedals and floor, starts at 50 mph. I’m confident it’s the front diff, likely pinion bearing failing as a few on here have had.

Result: dealer acknowledges the issue and that the a pillar is flexing excessively. They can’t fix and would have to send to body shop. It sounds like the fix involves pulling the whole dash and reconstructing a pillar as if the truck were in an accident. I have a strong aversion to body shops.

3.) HVAC can’t regulate heat when ambient temps below 40. Recently went to mammoth with 20-35 temps and with HVAC on auto set all the way down to 60 it blows hot air and the cab becomes an oven. Bump it to LO and I get full AC. In temperate SoCal temps it operates normally.

1. Have you rotated the tires?

2. I don't see a video? Tell them to fix the loose screw? My Gen 2 driver door made a loud clicking noise when opened all the way. It got my attention, but no issue for 100k miles.

3. Maybe chalk it up to a 1 time deal? Raptor mystique.

4. Pretty sure both pedals click when pressed, I will try and check tomorrow though.

5. Seems like I had the no fob message too, ignored it and went on about the day.

Last edited: