Advice on some common 21' issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kronos2300

Kronos2300

Reaction score
I'm in parkland. I bought the truck from Grieco in Delray and they have about a week wait to get seen
Yeah it looks like that’s the standard across all dealerships right now... 7-10 business days for them to start to look at your truck. But honestly, as long as they at least fix the shocks, I don’t mind. Sadly right now my truck feels like a 90's truck on its last legs in terms of suspension.

OP
OP
Kronos2300

Kronos2300

Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update in the thread of anyone that might be reading it because of a similar issue (and those of you that gave your feedback, which I really appreciate!). I scheduled a service appointment about a month ago for last Monday (March 25) to check on all the issues I mentioned at the beginning of the thread. Got lucky with the advisor I made the appointment with; she was very understanding and appreciated the fact that I did my research and due diligence. Because my truck is still under its original warranty, I don’t have to use the Extended one nor won’t have to pay the deductibles for each warranty work (thankfully). This also means no loaner, but that’s okay.

She wrote down everything I mentioned, took down the SSM numbers where applicable, and even made copies of what I brought to make sure the techs knew what to look for. She called me today (a week later), and confirmed with me that the first thing that got done was the suspension.

The tech test drove the truck and did the chassis ears, and confirmed that the noise I’ve been hearing is indeed coming from the rear suspension (they didn’t find any issue in the front). The tech replaced both reach shocks, including the solenoids and all assembly parts, test drove it again and confirmed that the clunking/noise is gone. That to me is a win in itself because:

1. I Didn’t have to go back and forth trying to prove the noise/clunking I was encountering was not normal (like unfortunately some others in this forum have dealt with), and
2. They had the parts available so I didn’t have to wait to get those installed (I know some mentioned theirs were backordered). Within a week they diagnosed and corrected the issue.

The truck is still at the dealership for the rest of the stuff like the power inverter fan always being on, the rear window rattle, etc. (which needs to go to the trim/electrical department and they are more backed up than the suspension department) so I won’t call it a full victory just yet until I get the truck back and I drive it to see if there’s an improvement. But again, at least there’s progress and I'll continue to be patient because there’s been results.

I’ll post again once everything is complete and share the final results. Hoping all the issues are solved so I can enjoy the truck the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

Last edited:

DFWRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I wanted to get some advice on a couple of issues I’ve been encountering with my "new" 2021 Raptor. I’ve done my research through this forum (and other sites) and it looks like most of them have a solution, but I would like to hear from people that had some (if not all) of these issues on their Gen 3, an how they handled them with their respective dealership.

For context, I bought my Raptor from a dealership that’s 4.5 hours away, so I can’t get it serviced/looked at there. Instead I went to my local Ford dealership which is 10 mins away, however when I talked to one of the service managers (who wasn’t really helpful at all), they said they would need 7-10 business days before they even get to look at the truck (not to mention how long it would be to get parts/fix it), which I think it’s crazy.

Here's the list of the issues I currently have (for context, my Raptor has a build date of 08/21):

1. Power Onboard Fan issue: As some have mentioned, I have the "always-on" fan noise coming from the power onboard located under the rear seats, and it only shuts off if I manually turn off the Power Onboard when first hopping on the truck. I’ve read here and there that a reprogramming of the "DCACA module" would solve this. Has anyone had this solved by their dealership and noticed a difference afterwards? Want to make sure I reference the correct fix here (so that they don’t say it’s expected).

2. Rear window/passenger door rattle: When listening to music (and not too loud by any means), in certain songs/frequencies, there's a rattle that seems to be coming from the back of the cabin, and I believe it’s from the rear window. Did some research, and found this from a different forum (Rear Window Glass Sliding Panel Rattles When Open And Music Is Playing - B And O® Audio System). For me, it happens regardless if it’s open or closed. I’ve made sure that the jack and other stuff are correctly bolted back there, but I wanted to see if anyone has had this fixed by their dealership, and if it made any sort of difference.

I'm also having the passenger door rattle, and I found a thread in our forum talking about it. In my case, it sounds to be coming from the actual grill itself, but I don’t have the heart to rip the panel open to find out and potentially make the problem worse.

3. Clunking/Thumping Noise from suspension: Saved the worst one (and probably the most common one) for last. While riding at highway speeds, the truck drives amazing. But the moment I’m going at slow speeds or going over small bumps or regular speed bumps, I hear a clunking noise mostly coming from the rear. I’ve read as much as possible regarding the issue from this thread in our forum, but while I see some people getting their issues fixed promptly and having the parts to replace them, I’ve seen some where the dealership says it’s "normal". I know there’s SSM 50972 covering this, and I believe it applies to my truck since it was built in 08/21 (SSM mentions "built on or before 16-Jun-2022".

How do you guys consider I should handle these with the dealership? The truck is still under its original warranty, and I also have the PremiumCare extended warranty through Ford. I just want to make sure that if I do have to leave the truck for so long at the dealership, that they at least fix all the issues (since there seems to be a fix for all of them).

Also, if anyone has any recommendations of a good Ford Service in South Florida, I’m all ears. I’ve checked several around me and they all seem to be "backed up" in terms of taking a vehicle in and actually inspecting/fixing things. I don’t care about a loaner or having to wait for parts, I just don’t want them to have the truck parked in their backlot for weeks without anyone actually looking at the issues.

Thank you in advance for any help/feedback you can provide, and apologies in advance if I should have done something else differently! Second time posting here (and first time Ford owner), so still learning!
#2 - take the back seat down (behind driver) - it takes some work. Turn on the radio and you will see there is a rattle against the amp and this plastic piece. Turn on some bas heavy music and wait for rattles and try to nail down exactly where.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update in the thread of anyone that might be reading it because of a similar issue (and those of you that gave your feedback, which I really appreciate!). I scheduled a service appointment about a month ago for last Monday (March 25) to check on all the issues I mentioned at the beginning of the thread. Got lucky with the advisor I made the appointment with; she was very understanding and appreciated the fact that I did my research and due diligence. Because my truck is still under its original warranty, I don’t have to use the Extended one nor won’t have to pay the deductibles for each warranty work (thankfully). This also means no loaner, but that’s okay.

She wrote down everything I mentioned, took down the SSM numbers where applicable, and even made copies of what I brought to make sure the techs knew what to look for. She called me today (a week later), and confirmed with me that the first thing that got done was the suspension.

The tech test drove the truck and did the chassis ears, and confirmed that the noise I’ve been hearing is indeed coming from the rear suspension (they didn’t find any issue in the front). The tech replaced both reach shocks, including the solenoids and all assembly parts, test drove it again and confirmed that the clunking/noise is gone. That to me is a win in itself because:

1. I Didn’t have to go back and forth trying to prove the noise/clunking I was encountering was not normal (like unfortunately some others in this forum have dealt with), and
2. They had the parts available so I didn’t have to wait to get those installed (I know some mentioned theirs were backordered). Within a week they diagnosed and corrected the issue.

The truck is still at the dealership for the rest of the stuff like the power inverter fan always being on, the rear window rattle, etc. (which needs to go to the trim/electrical department and they are more backed up than the suspension department) so I won’t call it a full victory just yet until I get the truck back and I drive it to see if there’s an improvement. But again, at least there’s progress and I'll continue to be patient because there’s been results.

I’ll post again once everything is complete and share the final results. Hoping all the issues are solved so I can enjoy the truck the way it was meant to be enjoyed.
This is similar to my experience with the service center in Brewster NY. Dropped my truck off for an oil change, mentioned the SSM and my noisy rear shocks. Received a call later that day saying that they confirmed I had noisy rear shocks, and that replacements were already on order. They have been replaced, and my truck is as quiet as can be. As far as rattles go, I tend to take an afternoon with all my vehicles to track down and fix rattles myself. On the Raptor, key noise points were…the wire between the glass on an open rear slider. I wrapped the wire and that noise is gone. Vibrating rear slider glass. I added soft side of Velcro to the window frame at vibration points, noise is gone. Door lock pin clips on both front doors, removed panel and insulated both clips so that they can no longer move, noise is gone. Modules loosely mounted behind both front door panels, velcroed the modules and stuck them to the metal door frame, rattle is gone. Noisy arm rest on center console lid, islolated noise to the clip area where fold out lid locked closed, added soft side Velcro around the clip area, noise is gone. Squeaky right seat bolster rubbing on center console, added a very large piece of soft side Velcro to side of seat, squeaky rub noise is now gone. My truck is now super quiet. But no tech was going to go thru what I did to eliminate the noises.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kronos2300

Kronos2300

Reaction score
#2 - take the back seat down (behind driver) - it takes some work. Turn on the radio and you will see there is a rattle against the amp and this plastic piece. Turn on some bas heavy music and wait for rattles and try to nail down exactly where.
Thank you! Do you happen to know where I can find steps on how to take the back seat down on that side? I can do it on the side where the jack is, but I haven’t found how to release the other side.

Also, you mentioned "this plastic piece". Did you meant to attach a picture of it? If so, mind posting it? That'll be very helpful when I get the truck back so I can test on my end.

OP
OP
Kronos2300

Kronos2300

Reaction score
This is similar to my experience with the service center in Brewster NY. Dropped my truck off for an oil change, mentioned the SSM and my noisy rear shocks. Received a call later that day saying that they confirmed I had noisy rear shocks, and that replacements were already on order. They have been replaced, and my truck is as quiet as can be. As far as rattles go, I tend to take an afternoon with all my vehicles to track down and fix rattles myself. On the Raptor, key noise points were…the wire between the glass on an open rear slider. I wrapped the wire and that noise is gone. Vibrating rear slider glass. I added soft side of Velcro to the window frame at vibration points, noise is gone. Door lock pin clips on both front doors, removed panel and insulated both clips so that they can no longer move, noise is gone. Modules loosely mounted behind both front door panels, velcroed the modules and stuck them to the metal door frame, rattle is gone. Noisy arm rest on center console lid, islolated noise to the clip area where fold out lid locked closed, added soft side Velcro around the clip area, noise is gone. Squeaky right seat bolster rubbing on center console, added a very large piece of soft side Velcro to side of seat, squeaky rub noise is now gone. My truck is now super quiet. But no tech was going to go thru what I did to eliminate the noises.
Thank you so much for the thorough information here! You're 100% right; no one but ourselves would do these things. There's several of the ones you mentioned that I want to definitely tackle (like the rear slider, the right seat bolster rubbing on the center console, etc.). Was there a specific brand you used for the soft side of velcro? If so would you let me know the brand and where you got it? Would like to have one that has good adhesive that won’t eventually fall off with time/heat.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Do you happen to know where I can find steps on how to take the back seat down on that side? I can do it on the side where the jack is, but I haven’t found how to release the other side.

Also, you mentioned "this plastic piece". Did you meant to attach a picture of it? If so, mind posting it? That'll be very helpful when I get the truck back so I can test on my end.
There’s a latch but if you search it on YouTube it’s far easier to explain in a short video.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the thorough information here! You're 100% right; no one but ourselves would do these things. There's several of the ones you mentioned that I want to definitely tackle (like the rear slider, the right seat bolster rubbing on the center console, etc.). Was there a specific brand you used for the soft side of velcro? If so would you let me know the brand and where you got it? Would like to have one that has good adhesive that won’t eventually fall off with time/heat.
I just went to the local auto parts store and bought what they had on the shelf. I could have even possibly ordered some off Amazon. Doesn’t need to be anything special. I got the idea of soft sided Velcro from a Mercedes my wife used to own. Mercedes added soft touch material to all the overlap points of plastic panels as a sound deadener. Made perfect sense to me, so I’ve done this to every domestic vehicle I’ve owned since.

Last edited: