Gen 3 2023 Major electrical issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update:

The connectivity issues I’m experiencing are because while my truck was at the dealership, the last OTA update was failed due to the battery being disconnected for the work they were doing. Because of that issue I was disconnected with FordPass which controls all the connected features (Alexa, Hotspot, wireless Apple CarPlay and connectivity to FordPass) so the only fix is to update the software and the OTA automatic shows no updates available at the time. The dealership is trying to figure out how to manually push an update to the truck. In the meantime I have the truck back with normal function, including CarPlay (wired). Either of 2 things could happen to fix the issue; 1. The truck does an automatic update on its own.

2. The dealership figures out how to push the update manually.

The tech handling my truck brought me back to the truck to attempt fixes while my phone was connected. He tried re-flashing the Gateway Module, the TCM, and the APIN. Nothing worked

FordPass tech support told us the software update controls All connected features and without the software update the features will remain dormant.
Here are the steps member @gdflynn1 had his dealer perform that did the trick for him...wouldn't hurt to try:
- Found update available for gateway module (GWM), applied
- After GWM updated, an APIM updated became available, applied
- After APIM updated, another GWM update became available, applied
- After GWM updated, another APIM...applied
- After APIM update, an update to the TCU was available, applied
- After TCU, another GWM, applied....
- After all the GWM, APIM, TCU updates, I appear to be fully updated now

Can the current updates be forced via FDRS?

Lastly, give Ford Technology dept a call @ (833) 389-0848 to see what’s going on with your OTA updates.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@dmaustin Shoot me your vin and i can see if you have any updates avail and what your GWM config looks like. If you want.
EDIT: Ford will release a OTA for 23MY F150 in March. Apparently there is a known issue. If you dont get the OTA you can take it back to the dealer as they have a procedure to fix the GWM in FDRS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dmaustin

dmaustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@dmaustin Shoot me your vin and i can see if you have any updates avail and what your GWM config looks like. If you want.
EDIT: Ford will release a OTA for 23MY F150 in March. Apparently there is a known issue. If you dont get the OTA you can take it back to the dealer as they have a procedure to fix the GWM in FDRS.
So strange that you mentioned this , my dealership called today and mentioned the customer satisfaction program regarding this same issue . They doing the same GWM update tomorrow morning.ill shoot you my VIN in the morning and let you know how it goes.thanks in advance

OP
OP
dmaustin

dmaustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the steps member @gdflynn1 had his dealer perform that did the trick for him...wouldn't hurt to try:
- Found update available for gateway module (GWM), applied
- After GWM updated, an APIM updated became available, applied
- After APIM updated, another GWM update became available, applied
- After GWM updated, another APIM...applied
- After APIM update, an update to the TCU was available, applied
- After TCU, another GWM, applied....
- After all the GWM, APIM, TCU updates, I appear to be fully updated now

Can the current updates be forced via FDRS?

Lastly, give Ford Technology dept a call @ (833) 389-0848 to see what’s going on with your OTA updates.
Crazy, they are pushing the updates as we speak. Ford Released a Customer Satisfaction Program addressing this issue. Basically the dealer is pushing the GWM update (possibly the TCU and Apim) . Which basically will include the OTA that won’t be released until March. But Ford’s Engineers found this issue as a reoccurring issue with the 23MY. Hopefully this will fix the connectivity issues.

NetoBR

Reaction score
Im still having the same issues. @Antho helped getting a lot of updates manually by USB (Im guessing FDRS) and I was hoping that the truck would get OTA now but nothing happened. Stuck in '22 updates still.

OP
OP
dmaustin

dmaustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the latest update. Ford attempted to push the updates through FDRS to the truck . Nothing worked to get the connected features back. However I did speak to the Ford Technology Team , who is familiar with my issue. Because of the module repairs the tech had to do a master reset, which automatically disables the modem for 10-14 days. So my connected features are not working because the modem is disabled because of the reset. You think they would have a fix for this.