GPS--how useful?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just remember guys that the MAIN purpose of a Lowrance is to upload trails that were already Prerun and marked with hazards and other good stuff. Also depends on where you're off-roading. Southwest US desert has no cell service from Palm Springs to Phoenix to Mexico. Dead zone. So while a tablet style GPS is practical, there are times where you need a dedicated GPS to load your files

slowest member of WCPR

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just remember guys that the MAIN purpose of a Lowrance is to upload trails that were already Prerun and marked with hazards and other good stuff. Also depends on where you're off-roading. Southwest US desert has no cell service from Palm Springs to Phoenix to Mexico. Dead zone. So while a tablet style GPS is practical, there are times where you need a dedicated GPS to load your files

slowest member of WCPR

Your missing the point. You do NOT need cell service to use an iPad / tablet for off road routes that are pre-planned. You cache the map files, otherwise its no different than the lowarnce. just shows a line to follow that has marked hazzards on it.

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huck, correct me if I'm wrong but I'll say what I think you're saying in a different way. To help out.

iPads with a cellular antenna also come with a GPS receiver. Therefore you do not need cellular service to have gps active on your iPad. Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Last edited:

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Huck, correct me if I'm wrong but I'll say what I think you're saying in a different way.

iPads with a cellular antenna also come with a GPS receiver. Therefore you do not need cellular service to have gps active on your iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

That is correct.

I don't know how many times i can say this before it sinks in.

The GPS chip is located on the same harness inside the iPad as the Cellular chip.

Therefor, you do not need cellular service to use the gps function on the iPad. No data plan needed.

The wifi version, since it does not have the Cellular chip, does not have the gps chip.

BABaracus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never been out on the type of trails you run back east so I don't know but I feel as though the trails are more defined out there where out here in the desert there are many choices where on a group run you would definitely need a lowrance so you can just meet up and share the pre ran file to not get separated from the group. I've used Motion x on an iPad and in the end went with HDS 7 touch. Never regretted it.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The tablet slotted you to do the same thing. Upload the GPS track file and follow it. No cell data plan needed. Connect to Wi-Fi to down load the maps before you leave for the run.

I've ran probably 20 runs this way with no issues. I even get good GPS signal in the truck under tree cover.

What I don't get is why a Lowrance would be better?

The tablet adds so much more functionality. Photos, video, email and FRF when back at the hotel.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

BABaracus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe somebody else can explain why with actual data. I know maybe my iPad wasn't getting good gps signal. My lowrance updated incredibly fast no matter how fast I'm going and is always spot on.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty much all sponsored runs have trails that have been scouted/planned and hopefully prerun. They usually use a Lowrance for this and mark the hazards. Some use a tablet and mapmaking software like Motion X or Gaia.

This map file is emailed to all the participants. Participants upload the file to their GPS of choice.

Lowrance

Tablet with cell and built in gps

Tablet with no cell and a Bluetooth gps dongle. (I said dongle)

Then the course is ran and the participant can use this method to know where they are at.

:snoopfacepalm: :beatdeadhorse5: :beatdeadhorse5: :beatdeadhorse5: