How to repurpose BD squadrons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey...So i just traded in a G2 for a G3 and I had 6 squadrons in the bumper fog light area. I pulled off all my lights to swap over. I plan on keeping the rigids as fogs as I like the factory look of them and the ability to use them on the street. Id like to order one of these

https://www.foutzmotorsports.com/pr...ount-kit-for-stock-front-bumper-use-any-light

my only reservation is I've only seen pictures of big lights on those bumper mounts. Would the small squadrons look ok? Id rather not do a behind the grill kit because Id actually like to see them. Just curious if anyone has done a bumper mount and not used LP6-9s XL80s etc. I would swap in some bigger units, but I've already got XL80s for the pillars and those put out more than enough light anyway. Thanks.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Honestly the factory Rigids are trash, even on the street. They "might" work for reverse lights. I would call SPV and see what options he has to reuse your squadrons in the factory location.

Edit: I think running the squadron lights on that bar might look a bit goofy. Too small of a light compared to the front end of the truck. But you can always mock everything up and see how you like it.

OP
OP
shigman

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try aiming all 4 of them up to make a final opinion on them. Completely worthless how they are currently aimed. Honestly the SAE BD fogs weren't/aren't every impressive either, but I guess if they were they'd just blind the *%&# out of everyone.

OP
OP
shigman

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mostly Urban (ish). Distant suburb type lighting, I'm only 1-2 miles from cow pastures. Also only a few miles from lights everywhere. The way I see it, the squadrons are useful on animal rich dark two lanes around here. The XL80s are more for night time trips to CO driving through the panhandle and NM. The stock rigids i might throw some amber covers on (aim them up), we do have some decent early morning fog here.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think squadrons are way too small for a bumper bar personally, unless you did maybe 8-10 of them.

I think you should toss them in your garage and just wait three months. By then the truck won’t be brand new and you’ll probably be inclined to pull the factory Rigids out because, while they do look clean/factory, they’re useless.

I know you said you didn’t like it but I do think 6 squadrons does look great behind the grill, and a few vendors make brackets for that now.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I'm going to try aiming all 4 of them up to make a final opinion on them. Completely worthless how they are currently aimed. Honestly the SAE BD fogs weren't/aren't every impressive either, but I guess if they were they'd just blind the *%&# out of everyone.

the new B/D SAE fogs work great for what they are and they’re road legal. I tend to use my amber squadron pros for rural high beams. I get far enough throw, and wide dispersion. I just leave the SAE on. They do help, within their limits.

OP
OP
shigman

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I need to send my old SAE BDs back in for the upgrade which I'm planning on doing before doing any of this. Thanks for the opinions, I agree that 6 small squadrons would look a little "off" on a bumper mount. Ill do either the fog light area or behind the grill. The vendors seem to want to sell those behind the grill mounts with lights, I assume if i call them I can order just the mounts. Thanks!

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think itll look weird at all, just a tad smaller than these.

1697473481468.jpeg
the new B/D SAE fogs work great for what they are and they’re road legal. I tend to use my amber squadron pros for rural high beams. I get far enough throw, and wide dispersion. I just leave the SAE on. They do help, within their limits.
yeah i love mine, a lot more usable than even my sports for actual light throw for the street, my sports send a lot of light but its everywhere and doesnt go as far.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I need to send my old SAE BDs back in for the upgrade which I'm planning on doing before doing any of this. Thanks for the opinions, I agree that 6 small squadrons would look a little "off" on a bumper mount. Ill do either the fog light area or behind the grill. The vendors seem to want to sell those behind the grill mounts with lights, I assume if i call them I can order just the mounts. Thanks!
4x4truckleds sells just the bracket by itself now.